PDA

View Full Version : Gearknobs & Gaiters

TexMex
12-04-2005, 12:56 PM
I have bought a momo gearknob off a friend for my S2, but i am unsure as to how the standard one comes off? i obviously dont want to wreck it in the process of taking it off.

It also seems like the standard gearknob is part of the gaiter. Does this mean i will have to buy an aftermarket gaiter?

If so can anyone advise me where(and how much££) i could get one from, either blue(if it matches the indigo blue) or black preferably.

Thanks, TexMex. :)

darrenwm
12-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Your nob is probably just stiff and needs a good twisting and pulling! oops

The gaiter will probably be attached inside with a cable tie and will be easy to undo once you've whacked your nob off.

Good luck getting off.

TexMex
12-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Cheers for that Darren........ ?

Anyone know where to get a good gaiter from?

philgs2
12-04-2005, 06:24 PM
leave it standard.

dynofiend
13-04-2005, 09:00 PM
you can mod the original one easy, just chop it off leaving the concertina bit and expose part of the brass coloured stick, it looks quite good like this as long as you finish off the top of the chopped gaitor with a trim cap of some kind.

Danny J
13-04-2005, 09:19 PM
S1/S2 gear knob & gaitoe are all one piece. Best way to get it off is from the bottom, pull it off upwards, twist the knob a little as your pulling/ oo er missus!

mattwesty
19-04-2005, 07:53 PM
if i ever change mine i think i'll use the gaitor from a GTi and a sparco blue knob.

james_m
19-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Yes a standard rallye gear gaitor/knob will pull off as one, may take a bit of twisting but it should come off.

I have a MOMO gear knob on mine with just a fairly cheap leather gaitor, no point in spending loads on a MOMO one, even tho it would look nice and i think they screw onto the MOMO knob. You can get cheap gaitors with a thread on the top to screw onto the knob.

Heres mine (http://hometown.aol.co.uk/mullensjames/images/momo%20gear%20knob.jpg)

Under my gaitor there is the old rubber one, (was cut off just below the old knob) this allows the new leather one to grip onto it as it is elasticated at the bottom. At the end of the day its your personal choice on how you style it.