PDA

View Full Version : extra amp help

Batzy
21-05-2005, 10:53 AM
ello every1, ive got a 500w sub and amp set up, and my headunit is running my front components and my 6x9's,

ive got a extra sub and amp and a amp for my 6x9's but how do i go about setting them up as my hu has only got 1 pre out!! How do i power them and what about the remote wire?? please help i need it sorting asap.

boombang
21-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Unless either of the amps has an RCA out and you can daisy chain them, you will have to buy Y-RCA splitters.

The remote wire just needs joining between the amps.

Get a +ve and earth distribution block.

If you have trouble, I think I have this stuff in my garage - just moving house next week so won't be able to sort it out for a while.

I also have a graphic EQ with front, rear and sub out, and 2 sets of RCA cables (one autoleads tripple shielded and the other a very expensive pheonix gold one) which might be of some help?

Has sub level control, eq, hp/lp filters etc.

http://www.caliber.nl/product_info.php?cPath=33_71&products_id=194

Batzy
21-05-2005, 11:29 AM
yea both have got pre outs, so i can jus link them up yea? what about the live? should i put a extra fuse inthere?? o and whats this... sorry im a novice Get a +ve and earth distribution block.

boombang
21-05-2005, 11:33 AM
yeah you can just link the output from one into anothers input

The distribution block is basically one input in, 3 out (depending on size).

The live (or +ve) from battery should be fused at the battery anyhow, but often a distribution block will contain fuses (match to the amplifiers fuse ratings).

You will need to run some serious cable to the amps though if powering 3 of them!

If you want any of the stuff I have, am letting it go very cheap as will never use it again.

Also run all the amps to the same earth - again can be done by a distrib block (earth type)

Batzy
21-05-2005, 11:40 AM
no im only gonna use a extra amp for now jus for my 6x9's, so as u say can i jus link them up, i have my other amp fused at the battery, but should i put another fuse inbetween my 2 amps?

Batzy
21-05-2005, 11:44 AM
what do u have for sale mate, kinda short at the moment, holiday fund for the mrs!! will probally be after july!

boombang
21-05-2005, 11:51 AM
You won't need another fuse if you split the wire using the distribution block as that wire is still fused.

I have the following for sale:

-Triple shielded autoleads RCA (blue) 3m
-Triple shielded directional Phoenix gold RCA (green) 3m (has integral amp switch wire and noise suppression - ex PG demo car)
-Some Y RCA splitters
-Caliber CX1 signal booster/crossover/splitter/EQ with 3 RCA outputs and sub control.
-4 gauge +ve wire with inline fuse holder to fit 106

Batzy
21-05-2005, 11:53 AM
how much u want for it all mate?

dynofiend
21-05-2005, 03:04 PM
quicky diagram for you, in this the red wires is a positive cable, the red box is a FUSED distribution block. The black wires are earths, the solid black box is a non fused distribtuion block. The blue wires are speaker cables. The yellow wires are the remote, as you can see you just split it off where you need it, no need to worry about that one really. The Green wires are the RCA cables, you can see they go into the amps inputs and then use the amps own Pre out to connect to the next one and so on, its called 'daisy chaining'.

Oh yeah the blank box at the top is your HU, the others are the amps you spoke about. The number of amps/speakers is irrelevant, you should wire it all up like i drew anyway.

VERY IMPORTANT, you must use a fused distribution block if running more than one amp, and the block should be no more than 8" away from the battery, the closer you can get it to the battery the better. With two amps you could use two totally seperate cables, but its a bit more hassle, if a little cheaper. Theres no need to fuse the remote wires as they will be protected by the HU.

http://www.106rallye.co.uk/members/dynofiend/system.bmp

boombang
21-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I am going to have to disagree with the fused distribution block within 8" from the battery.

So long as the wire to the distribution block is fused close to the battery, the distrib block can be anywhere you like.

When I used to do installs, I would put the fuse on the battery casing/cover with double sided sponge tape, with a the shortest length between +ve terminal and the fuse as possible.

Often some factory fit fuse locations are too far from the battery IMO.

dynofiend
21-05-2005, 06:00 PM
of course that would be fine, i was assuming that there was no additional fuse as well as the distubution block (not really any point in having an extra fuse when there are plenty in the distibution box. The only exception to that is that you shouldnt use a non fused distribution block and just the one single fuse on the 'main' wire.

So if you cant get the distribution box close to the battery then yes use an extra fuse close to the battery with the fused distribution box mounted whereever you like. But it would be cheaper to mount the distribution box close to the battery as theres no need for an extra fuse then. Especially as with three or four amps its gonna be one mother of a fuse!