PDA

View Full Version : Captain Pug Wash - "I clean Puegeots"

darrenwm
09-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Day 1 of cleaning saw an extreme interior scrub, as well as wheel arch and engine bay attention. Time spent: 7hours.

Pics...

Interior bits removed for extreme carpet clean:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/darrenmayne/DSC00789.jpg

My friend Henry:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/darrenmayne/DSC00790.jpg

Tidy wheelarch:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/darrenmayne/DSC00791.jpg

8V of fury:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/darrenmayne/DSC00795.jpg

The sun starts to go down:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/darrenmayne/DSC00796.jpg

I know it's not as clean yet as MattWesty, JamesHigginson etc, but it was bllody freezing, and the first good clean I've done :)

Tomorrow will see full exterior 10-stage wax very happy

aaron w
09-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Looks like you could do with some axle stands mate ;) looks good tho, i hate cleaning cars

Tewkes
09-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Fucking hell your determind!

its gonna be like brand new!

Col
09-12-2005, 05:41 PM
i love doing those cleans, bet you dont wanna take it out now :p

Gus
09-12-2005, 05:44 PM
i can't wait for next year, i'm going to have a bad ass cleaning session tongue out

Harper
09-12-2005, 05:47 PM
bit like me, i tend not to wash mine for ages then spend about 7 hours doing it when its seriously ditched. i just cant be arsed doing it at this time of year as it seems a pointless excersise when it gets shit on as soon as it turns a wheel.

James_H
09-12-2005, 07:02 PM
mate that is looking brilliant- well done !!!! very happy

jon_ox
09-12-2005, 09:17 PM
how did you get that blue carpet so clean !!! it looks brand new, i think blue is the worse colour for carpets i clean mine everyweek but it just looks nakered everytime someone gets in :(

Dan T
09-12-2005, 09:26 PM
jesus that is clean woo hoo your only down the road from me, i know where to go to get my car cleaned now :D

Christian_Pickering
10-12-2005, 06:56 AM
hi mate, just wondering what you used for the wheelarch, a fancy doin this on me new 205, also what you use on engine bay???

Christian_Pickering
10-12-2005, 06:57 AM
how did you get that blue carpet so clean !!! it looks brand new, i think blue is the worse colour for carpets i clean mine everyweek but it just looks nakered everytime someone gets in :(

mate, if you think blue is bad, try having a red carpet, absolute nightmare, but looks great when its cleaned up :D

James_H
10-12-2005, 07:01 AM

just use ant car fabric and upholstery cleaner, or I find for an even better look use a household carpet shampoo like thosand and one (1001). Check it doesnt make the colour run though first.

James_H
10-12-2005, 07:04 AM
hi mate, just wondering what you used for the wheelarch, a fancy doin this on me new 205, also what you use on engine bay???

First you would need to really get all the ground on stuff off with a pressure hose.

Then...not sure what darren used but the best thing is using a water based cleaning agent like Autoglyms machine and engine clean (paint friednly) and some white spirit and water.

Plus get a good rag or brush and after an hour or so all arches should be gleaming.

tbh ive done this a couple of times and its probably best left till the summer as after a day mine were again full of crud and leaves etc etc.

(tip, just make sure after the pressure wash especially at the front you re-grease any of the suspension compones with a grease or silicolne lube as you can get alot of creaking etc after youve accidentally blasted off any grease off the steering rack say, or strut etc etc.)

darrenwm
10-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Carpet...

AutoGlym Interior Shampoo. Hoover, spray on, leave, scrub, hoover.

Arches...

Hose, spray in some degreaser, use a slightly abrasive kitchen cloth, then a soft sponge, then a hose. In the summer I'll wax them up too :)

G-sport
10-12-2005, 09:51 AM
looks clean ;)

once you've done your arches and waxed them they stay clean for quite well suprisingly and are 10 x easier to clean in the future, its also defianatly worth taking your arch liners out and cleaning behind them aswell as they dont stop all crud as you will noticed if you ever take them out lol.

clean lol, and me pointing at a random thing, because i didnt know what it was

http://www.maxxd.com/modules/gallery/albums/rallye/aas.jpg

Gareth Y
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Carpet...

AutoGlym Interior Shampoo. Hoover, spray on, leave, scrub, hoover.

Arches...

Hose, spray in some degreaser, use a slightly abrasive kitchen cloth, then a soft sponge, then a hose. In the summer I'll wax them up too :)

This is the time of year you need the wax on under arches. just bang some on better than nothing.

Also how can you do a 10 step polish????

if you use to many products, they wont combine properly and you will see a negative result.

the best tip " is use a clay bar" makes your paint look like glass and gets the crap t cut cant

Benji will back me up on this one ;) ;)

darrenwm
10-12-2005, 10:02 AM
G-Unit - excellent pic!
I took the liners out when cleaning my GTi arches, but never got them back in 100%.
I agree too about them being much easier to clean once you've done them once. The dirt in there had probably being hardening since 1998! yikes
The thing you're pointing at is just some rubber cover, I think :confused: I always wondered too ;)

Gareth - thanks :)
I was joking about the 10-stager!
I will use Shampoo, Super Resin Polish, then Extra Gloss protection - all AutoGlym.
I see people get excellent results with Meg's, but the range is so broad and confusing!
Is there any product I could use to complement the aforementioned in my day's cleaning?

recrudesce
10-12-2005, 10:39 AM
it's the end of the steering rack.

Daz_Ross
10-12-2005, 11:47 AM
looking sweet :) Id do the same if i had the time!

jon_ox
10-12-2005, 04:54 PM
ill try some auto gylim stuff then cheers

Daz_Ross
10-12-2005, 04:58 PM
ill try some auto gylim stuff then cheers
yeah i use it, doesn't have much foam but leaves nice finish:D

Dan_369
10-12-2005, 08:33 PM
i desperatly need to clean my carpet just wasnt to sure what was best to use, and forgive my stupidness but what is clay bar? i'm after a nice gloss finish, its not to bad at the minute because its had a respray but still not the same

darrenwm
10-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Clay bar is related to waxing exterior. Get an interior cleaner for carpet, spray and scrub!

Dan_369
10-12-2005, 10:07 PM
might give it a clean tomorrow, see how the weather is

jameshilton
10-12-2005, 10:09 PM
still - what is a 'clay bar' and what does it do?

darrenwm
11-12-2005, 08:28 AM
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-g-1116.html

Daz_Ross
11-12-2005, 10:30 AM
the clay bar removes contaminants and restores Crystal clear reflections and slickness, what do you use to wax your car?

darrenwm
11-12-2005, 10:43 AM
I've got plenty of the autoglym range left over, but I hear many people get good results with Megs :)

darrenwm
14-12-2005, 02:33 PM
I've managed to find new cars to wash now, so my half-term is flying by :)

Painted up my centre caps too :D

Pics from today's carwashing....

350Z
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/darrenmayne/DSC00817.jpg
306 T16
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/darrenmayne/DSC00825.jpg

G-sport
14-12-2005, 02:36 PM
t16 = good not keen on the 306 at all though lol

on another note though the caps look good, i though only the lion was painted on the S2 caps though ?

i fancy using one of these clay bars come spring time

darrenwm
14-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks, G-Unit.

I think I got the caps wrong, as I've read they might be silver too, whereas mine are bright white oops

No clay bar action today, just shampoo and a good chamois, and glass clean.

The 306 is cool, lives opposite me. I don't dismiss it as a boyracer car as it has a T16 and brakes as big as my face; also, when you see it in the flesh you see the Eccosse pro quality :)

I've earnt a tenner, and can now go to the pub gulp

Bonnie
14-12-2005, 02:52 PM
I've got plenty of the autoglym range left over, but I hear many people get good results with Megs :)

I've just waxed mine with Auto Glym polish then used the extra high gloss protection afterwards but it was a biatch to get off even though i left it on for 60 minutes as it says on the insruction. I also t-cutted and polished the wheels and in the photos you can just see the new decal on her rear end. Darren your centre caps look great!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/bonnie_m/DSC00274.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/bonnie_m/DSC00277.jpg

darrenwm
14-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Bonnie, what a bonnie car, trés bonne! etc

Black looks very rewarding, as does Indigo; white just gets dirty and doesn't look as cool as the others do after a wax!!

Get those centre caps done - I used a paint pen from Motorworld, £3.50 :D

Bonnie
14-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Bonnie, what a bonnie car, trés bonne! etc

Black looks very rewarding, as does Indigo; white just gets dirty and doesn't look as cool as the others do after a wax!!

Get those centre caps done - I used a paint pen from Motorworld, £3.50 :D

I agree looks great clean but i know she'll be dirrrrtttyy by tomorrow, black shows up more dirt than white cry

Father Christmas bringing me some new centre caps :D

darrenwm
14-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I agree looks great clean but i know she'll be dirrrrtttyy by tomorrow, black shows up more dirt than white cry

Father Christmas bringing me some new centre caps :D

I don't know if centre caps come painted :confused:

I got decals for Christmas! lol

James_H
14-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Bonnie - are the rear bumper inserts Matt black plastic only? they dont look painted??

Perhaps they didnt bother seeing as its a black car?

darrenwm
14-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Bonnie - are the rear bumper inserts Matt black plastic only? they dont look painted??

Looks like normal uncolour-coded, but doesn't really matter as black anyway, and should save some weight :p

Bonnie
14-12-2005, 03:05 PM

Yea i know it's weird, they are the plastic unpainted, i was thinking about getting them sprayed, i know shel didn't do anything to the car so they must be standard. What do you reckon? I think they'd look better shiny! But don't want to take any originality away from the car :)

Bonnie
14-12-2005, 03:07 PM
I don't know if centre caps come painted :confused:

I got decals for Christmas! lol

They come black with solid silver lion and and silver outline. I only recently got Paul H to get me some for my old car then i went and sold it, nevermind :)

Gus
14-12-2005, 03:07 PM
i've just finished using that megs clay bar thingy on mine (couldn't wait till next year :p ) and i'm glad i did, it feels like glass and looks like a mirror, excelent stuff :D (only had camera set on 1 million pixels which is why its a big 'blocky')

http://venus.walagata.com/w/gus360/forumbestpic.JPG
http://venus.walagata.com/w/gus360/forumbestpic2.JPG

G-sport
14-12-2005, 03:08 PM
all continental rallyes that i have seen dont have colour coded bumpers :( black you can get away with it but other colours look pants

indigo cars you can leave dirty and they dont look to bad lol.........black and white you have to wash :p

Bonnie
14-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Wow Gus, that's shiny! May have to look at this clay bar!

G-sport
14-12-2005, 03:10 PM
i've just finished using that megs clay bar thingy on mine (couldn't wait till next year :p ) and i'm glad i did, it feels like glass and looks like a mirror, excelent stuff :D

this clay bar ??? i dont get how it works or how you use it

and dont want to spunk £15 on something that i have no idea how to use

do you nead it like dough on the paint work to lift crap off the paint ?

and how do you get the crap out of the clay bar.........can you use the clay bar once the lube spray stuff has run out......how do you get the lube spray stuff off you car

basically i dont get the clay bar but clearly it is good shit lol

darrenwm
14-12-2005, 03:26 PM
the megs range is so confusing.

I just want shampoo, wax, additional polish, but they all have crazy names!

I assume clay bar is like a lump of soap, but car wax, which you rub on!!?!?

Gus
14-12-2005, 03:34 PM
the gay bar works by...

1, clean car and dry
2, spray the area your working on with the 'stuff in the bottle' (its basicly a lube for the clay)
3, wipe the clay bar over the area your working on cleaning off all surface dirt (tar spots etc), if the area gets dry re-spray the lube, when the clay gets dirty reshape the bar untill you have a clean bit to work with
4, wipe off the lube with a polishing cloth or similar
5, check area is clean and smooth
6, stand back and admire :p
7, i polished mine after to add some extra protection, but i don't think you have to

I assume clay bar is like a lump of soap, but car wax, which you rub on!!?!?

nope, its actual clay ;)

Baz F
14-12-2005, 03:36 PM
:( makes me wish my paint wasnt matt now

James_H
14-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Yea i know it's weird, they are the plastic unpainted, i was thinking about getting them sprayed, i know shel didn't do anything to the car so they must be standard. What do you reckon? I think they'd look better shiny! But don't want to take any originality away from the car :)

nah keep it standard if thats how they come.

recrudesce
14-12-2005, 04:16 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/gti_kid1/PSOOC/December%202005/IMG_1683.jpg
come clean my car Darren ?

G-sport
14-12-2005, 04:21 PM
the gay bar works by...

1, clean car and dry
2, spray the area your working on with the 'stuff in the bottle' (its basicly a lube for the clay)
3, wipe the clay bar over the area your working on cleaning off all surface dirt (tar spots etc), if the area gets dry re-spray the lube, when the clay gets dirty reshape the bar untill you have a clean bit to work with
4, wipe off the lube with a polishing cloth or similar
5, check area is clean and smooth
6, stand back and admire :p
7, i polished mine after to add some extra protection, but i don't think you have to

tbh your supposed to was after polishing :)

i may buy one of these clay bars then, they sound very interesting

darrenwm
14-12-2005, 04:24 PM
come clean my car Darren ?

Russ, I can't come up to clean it I don't like to drive my car as it gets dirty, but next time you're down I can do it, and it'll be cheap as you car's so tiny :D

Wayne D
14-12-2005, 04:25 PM
I used Meguries NXT Tech Wax on my car and thought it was brilliant. Just washed the car with autoglym and let it dry, applied the wax and left it for 15-20min, then removed it with a cloth.
These are the results.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/wayne_douglas/REDS1.jpg

Gus
14-12-2005, 04:38 PM
tbh your supposed to was after polishing :)

doh , was just going buy the instructions, i used the tech wax whixh i think is a wax and polish in one, i think :o

G-sport
14-12-2005, 04:47 PM
doh , was just going buy the instructions, i used the tech wax whixh i think is a wax and polish in one, i think :o

ahhhh i get you, your ok then :P

i use the shampoo and NXT tech wax (amongst other things)

does a good job

Dan_369
15-12-2005, 11:11 PM
think i'l be using some of this clay bar stuff, looks the dog's

Daz_Ross
17-12-2005, 11:08 AM
ive just bought some Meguiars NXT Tech Wax Paste. So many different megs waxing products i didn't know what to go for.