PDA

View Full Version : new battery

James_H
22-12-2005, 08:35 PM
As the rallye is now spending most of its life during the week in the garage (and most of the winter hopefully) each week lately the battery has been struggling to start the car after a few days sat - so the rallye was treated to a new high AMP/cranking current battery that should so the job.
:)
The current battery was I think the OE one (lots of Frech writing on it anyway) was still managing to start the car but at a push and was only 200AMP. It was still pumping out around 14 volts but I think over the course of the week it was dropping to around 12.3/12.5 which is borderline. (not helped by me not driving the damn thing!!)

Anyhow, I managed to get a quote (trade) for a Pug dealer one which was a motorquip one at 45 quid inc VAT (should have been 60 summut) but I was too lazy to drive up there.
I also had the opportunity to get another trade one through my bro in law who runs his own garage but couldnt wait.

so I opted for 'halfrauds' instead. tongue out

Calcium 4 yr guarantee 400AMP - and what a difference to my old one - instantly fast cranking and start - compared to a struggling long turn and fire.

So see how she goes.:D

pics mainly for reference use for people.

:) :) :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Jameshigginson/batt1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Jameshigginson/batt2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Jameshigginson/batt3.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Jameshigginson/batt4.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Jameshigginson/batt5.jpg

skinnylew
22-12-2005, 08:43 PM
ahhhhh yes the good old hcb063 :) i know it well as i sell them day in and day out, decent batteries and if it goes wrong in the 4 years you just get given a new one :) not as bad as everyone say we are (well except for the fact i am leaving tomorrow as ive had enough of working for them after 5 years)

dynofiend
22-12-2005, 08:47 PM
your engine bay is too clean, how is that batery tray and clamp not corroded!

Ben Tearle
22-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I got one those last weekend....only cost me 27 instead of 48.99.....halfords trade card tongue out

James_H
22-12-2005, 09:11 PM

battery tray has a few minute specs of rust around it and I did tart these bits up with black paint, but I was surprised too.

Gave all the bolts/threads underneath (inc g/box mount) a good clean and lube with grease whilst I was at it. Checked all the earths too.

The clamp I brought new when I first had the car.

I brought everything (fixings wise) that I knew could or would become a pain at somepoint if it corroded or siezed. (coil pack bolts x4, rad bolts, thermostat bleed screws, manifold bolts & cover etc.etc etc)

probably cost me around 50 quid to get all the fixings I needed.

James_H
22-12-2005, 09:13 PM
actually quick Q.

is that the OE battery do you all think - FIAMM - are they french?

Plus more concerning is the fact it was only 200AMPs - surely not the right one???

G-sport
22-12-2005, 11:28 PM
doesnt sound like you had the right one to me tbh

but the halfords batterys are good and the warranty is a bonus,

James_H
23-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I dont think it was the right one either at 200 AMPS.

4 year guarantee should see me through the ownership of the car I would say - so yeah nice bonus.

I could have got a real cheap one from a trade warehouse (Oscotts) for around 20 quid but I was too damn lazy to go there.

G-sport
23-12-2005, 09:22 AM
you pay for what you get ;)

as the saying goes tongue out

semtex
23-12-2005, 10:20 AM
i think fiamm is an oe fitment , to be honest 200amp cold crank is more than ample for opur engines , although ive now fitted a 065 450ampo battery to mine as its in the back and fits better in the box aswell , still goes flat after a few weeks sat doin nothin

James_H
23-12-2005, 10:28 AM
ito be honest 200amp cold

Thats what I thought too, but the difference between the 2 (back to back ) is unreal - the 200AMP obviusly doesnt give the same cranking AMP/current as the 400 and it is noticeable.

as you say the 200AMP should stil the job tho mate.

it'll do as a spare.

matt_e
23-12-2005, 10:53 AM
james is the batery trey been spreyed mine is rusty need to get it out and spruced up!

loking mint as always tho james :)

James_H
23-12-2005, 11:10 AM
james is the batery trey been spreyed mine is rusty need to get it out and spruced up!

loking mint as always tho james :)

It was in very good cond, only a few specs of rust around the bottom right rim (you can almost see on pic) that I painted/sprayed in and then just tarted up/cleaned the rest of the tray etc etc

Yeah, just get some anti rust paint (zinc primer or summut similar - even hammerite is good!) and paint tart away!

semtex
23-12-2005, 11:42 AM
you really should clean it mate it might last a bit longer very happy

sammyp
23-12-2005, 12:05 PM

Agree, Theres clean and theres very clean but that.... well I would eat off of that.

It looks lubed up!

James_H
23-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Agree, Theres clean and theres very clean but that.... well I would eat off of that.

It looks lubed up!

egg, chips and beans ok?????
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Jameshigginson/eggbeans.jpg

recrudesce
23-12-2005, 12:41 PM
did you find that you couldn't put the battery cover back on ?
my replacement battery was too long to get the battery cover back on :(

James_H
23-12-2005, 12:45 PM
did you find that you couldn't put the battery cover back on ?
my replacement battery was too long to get the battery cover back on :(

nah it went back on ok mate - although I did think the same so i measured the old one and measured the new one to check if it would fit - and they were the same.
roughly 180 x 180 x 200mm.

darrenwm
23-12-2005, 12:52 PM
James,

Lovely bay...

Quick Q's:

Are the plastic covers still available from Pug?
Have you painted the manifold too?

James_H
23-12-2005, 12:56 PM
James,

Lovely bay...

Quick Q's:

Are the plastic covers still available from Pug?
Have you painted the manifold too?

the plastic covers should be still listed by pug, but then nothing surprises me with them, - if they dont have the OE one they will have to supply one that they have replaced it with so they will have something.

The manifold cover is just new one - probably just looks sprayed as its clean and new. (5 quid btw)

darrenwm
23-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Is the manifold cover from Pug too?

James_H
23-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Cheers for all the positive comments too guys.

I really wish I had the nerve to keep the rallye stored for years now but i cant help driving it!!

James_H
23-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Is the manifold cover from Pug too?

yep, a fiver or so.

good luck getting the bolts out of your old one if you do change it! The centre ones normally a bitch.

Miles D
23-12-2005, 05:51 PM
i had to buy a new battery today 2, tryed to start it this moring and it was dead, took the cap off the battery and u could see the led inside, was empty, so bought a new 1 for 30 seeing as im putting a new engine in tuesday:)

Miles D
23-12-2005, 05:53 PM
btw james, ur battery tray is like brand new!! mines all rusty and minging lol

James_H
23-12-2005, 09:39 PM
trust me its not that mint - it was pretty rust free though.

SLIK
23-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Did the halfords people sign and date teh receipt as the ink usually fades after a couple of years and we were told not to refund or replace batteries without a valid receipt. They should have signed and dated it as it was a head office type instruction..

James_H
23-12-2005, 10:52 PM
They havent signed it mate.

Although Im pretty sure the ink will be ok, ive got receipts for stuff 8,9 even 10 years ago now and the are fine - provided you dont spill a drink on them.

It will be kept safe in the file with all the other bills.

I also payed on debit card so I have the transaction receipt for that too just incase.

I cant imagine them turning people away who have dodgy receipts anyway as its not really good customer service - for very expensive parts i can understand but...

If you want to grass em up mate or give em a bollacking it was the Selly Oak - Birmingham branch who sold it!!;) ;)

SLIK
23-12-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't work there any more, but I have had to referr customers to senior staff who then turned them away without any refund as they could not prove teh age of the battery.

They reckoned teh ink was good for 2 years but it depends on where it is stored, I don't see why if kept in teh dark it should not last for far longer.