PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Oh my god, my cars got a.b.s. is this normal?

stobydoo
20-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi people, really sorry to post such a boring subject:goodnight: but whilst out driving my S1 today in the wet I had to break sharply for some idiot that pulled out on me:mad:! And my car didn't skid but did like a cool juddering which sounded just like a.b.s. on my old punto gt turbo!
I took it up a private road and tried it again a few times at higher speed and jammed the brakes on and was able to steer whilst braking:yikes: WOW!

Is it possible that my car does have a.b.s. or am I being daft?

When I turn on the ignition there is an orange light that comes on for about 1 second and is a picture of a car with tyre skid marks, is this an a.b.s. light?

I didn't think any S1 rallye's came with it or was it an optional extra?
If so is it a good thing that I have it?

Sorry for the silly questions but I really don't know much about these fantastic cars (YET) and its not everyday you take your car out and find out it has something useful like a.b.s. brakes!!
Please could someone tell me if I am going crazy:lol:

Thanks Stu:D

Baz F
20-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Could well do mate, think it was an optional? Tho some one may have fitted it them selves.
If not you got some blinding brakes :steer:

dynofiend
20-04-2006, 03:39 PM
sounds like abs to me! it was an optional extra. Look in the engine bay, you will have the ECU on the drivers side, then if you have ABS therell be another smaller ECU on the passenger side. It sure sounds like you have ABS to me though!

darrenwm
20-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeh, I read it was an optional extra and assumed that was a mistake! :rofl:

stobydoo
20-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Nice one guys, where exactly is the ecu? is covered by a plate? Not looked properly just a quick look about 30 secs ago!

stobydoo
20-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Sorry (again:oops:) just had a much better look and as you look at the engine bay I have found a big plastic plate and took it off and its says magnetti marelli (or something) this I take it is the ECU?
Then on the passenger side next to the battery plate is another plastic black cover with a grey sensor coming out the side near the negative connection on the battery. But I can't get the cover off without some tools but I can just make out a big plastic like cable with a big plug, is this the a.b.s. ecu??

If so then I am seriously happy:D

Thanks Stu

semtex
20-04-2006, 05:19 PM
look at your master cylinder if its a normal brake system it will have 4 pipes off it if its abs it will have 2

dynofiend
20-04-2006, 05:57 PM
its defo an abs car mate, its a very simple system, but it will keep you out of ditches and it certainly saved me some tyre wear on track days! its a pretty rare optional extra if its on an s1, not many specified it.

stobydoo
20-04-2006, 06:44 PM
BRILLIANT!:grin:
Thanks Guys gonna give my baby a good clean after she has had the awful Full scorpion exhaust removed and a nice new full standard system including new cat fitted on saturday can't waitwoo hoo
Is there anywhere I can post a picture so peeps on here can see it?
Also how do you add a small pic to my name on threads and topics? Do I need to become a member?
If so will do it next week when I get paid:lol:

Cheers

dynofiend
20-04-2006, 06:49 PM
in order...

yes
you become a member or use a place like photobucket
yes ;)

jameshilton
20-04-2006, 06:50 PM
BRILLIANT!:grin:
Thanks Guys gonna give my baby a good clean after she has had the awful Full scorpion exhaust removed and a nice new full standard system including new cat fitted on saturday can't waitwoo hoo
Is there anywhere I can post a picture so peeps on here can see it?
Also how do you add a small pic to my name on threads and topics? Do I need to become a member?
If so will do it next week when I get paid:lol:

Cheers

To post photos goto somewhere like www.photobucket.com and create an account.
Then when you upload photos into your 'album' you get some code under neath each one, just copy the one that says ..... and paste into a post on here and bobs your uncle!

As for signature and avatar pics, yes you need to sign up as a member. Good membership discounts and pack though so well worth it! Are you coming to FCS?

stobydoo
20-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks for that, don't think I will make FCS, where is it? I'm from Nottingham, not sure my car is worthy enough :praise you: judging by all the comments and posts!!! Plus I don't know anyone:cry:

Will get a pic and become a member VERY soon.

Dobber Sport
20-04-2006, 08:46 PM
imageshack (http://imageshack.us) is easier, u dont have to make an account ;)

jrallnutt
21-04-2006, 10:39 PM
IIRC abs was an option available on the S1 Rallye but not the S2 - which only had the power steering / airbag as an option. Though I have also heard that it's possible to get pretty much any extra fitted when new if you knew how/who to ask.

stobydoo
22-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah think i'm just lucky, can't believe the guy who sold it me didn't tell me it had a.b.s.!!

Pics coming soon along with membershipwoo hoo
Oh yeah got my new standard exhaust fitted yesterday and its 100% better:grin: loads quieter. My daughter is much happier now when i'm driving:steer:

greenpug
23-04-2006, 06:33 PM
So did you have a look at your master cylinder mate.

The two pipes should end up in a box (the ABS) and then splitted up to the front and rear brakes

Harper
23-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for that, don't think I will make FCS, where is it? I'm from Nottingham, not sure my car is worthy enough :praise you: judging by all the comments and posts!!! Plus I don't know anyone:cry:

Will get a pic and become a member VERY soon.

fcs is at bruntingthorpe, which is only 45 minutes down the road from us - no excuse
your car not worthy enough?? if its a rallye and is clean, then its worthy - no excuse
you dont know anyone..... nor did i when i joined this forum, and nor did anyone else......and how will you ever know anyone unless you attend meets etc - no excuse

so in short you have NO EXCUSE, get yourself to fcs :D:D:D:D:D

stobydoo
23-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Yeah checked the brake system and there are just 2 pipes coming off, so i'm well chuffed, the more I drive this car the more I like it:D

Even with the horrible loud scorpion exhaust taken off I don't think its lost any oooomph!
Still makin me smile:grin:

Will try and make FCS but won't promise, is there anywhere near to Notts where people meet with rallye's?

Harper
23-04-2006, 10:27 PM
not really, as i stepped down as east mids group leader some time ago and no-one else has stepped in.

there are a few of us around though, pop over to loughborough this weekend if you want then you wont have the excuse of not knowing anyone :p