PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cleaning

Bonnie
30-04-2006, 04:59 PM
One for Darren or James or possibly the guys who have stripped out their cars.

Day two of restoration includes a major interior clean tomorrow and i would like to take the front seats out to get to the awkward bits in te carpet.

How easy easy it to get the seats out, is it just a case of unbolting with a large star key. Any advice welcome:steer:

timmy (the face) b
30-04-2006, 05:04 PM
You hit the nail on the head - 4 bolts (torx type) and they lift out :):):)

Have fun!

Bonnie
30-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks Tim, i did have a quick glance but wasn't too sure, i think it's a good idea so i can get right into the awkward bits :)

James_H
30-04-2006, 06:23 PM
As mentioned - but be careful when taking the seats out bonnie.

There are small metal inserts between the scin of the floor and underside which have the thread in for the bolts - when you take the seats out they often move or fall into the inside skin!!!! beware!!

As for cleaning use a good car interior shampoo, but the key is again hard work - you only get out what you put in.

FOr stuborn stains I use a household cleaner like 1001 carpet clean.

TomH
30-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Bonnie shall i bring my car around and you can also work on mine :drool:

Bonnie
30-04-2006, 06:30 PM
o.k. thanks James, i'll be careful :)

Bonnie
30-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Bonnie shall i bring my car around and you can also work on mine :drool:

Ha ha i am a bit of a scrubber when it comes to cars, the neighbours always walk past going "ooh you'll wash that car away" or "wanna come and do mine" :D

jameshilton
30-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Ha ha i am a bit of a scrubber

careful - you could be misquoted there ;) :rofl:

I've taken the seats out a fair few times and never had any problems as James described. You can always line the nuts in the chassis up when you come to re-fit them pretty easily. They are quite heavy though so be careful not to bang the car when you get them in and out.

If you want to do a proper job on the carpet then unscrew the plastic retainers under the dashboard, use a Torx bit to remove the gearstick surround and remove the whole carpet.

You can then jetwash it - comes up a treat! Much quicker then shampoo.
Also could take out the sound deadening and ditch it :)

darrenwm
01-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery in case of pre-tensioners on the seat belts.

Use a shampoo and stiff brush.

Although use a much softer brush on seats, as mine are now bubbly after I scrubbed out some jizz..

TomH
01-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery in case of pre-tensioners on the seat belts.

Use a shampoo and stiff brush.

Although use a much softer brush on seats, as mine are now bubbly after I scrubbed out some jizz..

Ha ha sometimes to much info :grin:

semtex
01-05-2006, 08:09 AM
if its the s1 bonnie you wont need to take the battery lead off they dont have pretensioners , its a torx bit youll need iirc its a t35, as james has said jet washing is the best for getting it brilliantly clean , i did my red carpet a few weeks back with the idea of selling it on but it cleaned up that well i might put it back in , the only thing with jetwashing is that it takes ages to get all the cleaning agent back out again , good luck matey