PDA

View Full Version : Productive day today...

Tom J
20-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Despite the rain I managed to make some progress today, although as I am becoming accustomed to, the more I remove, the more I find!

Amongst other jobs came the removal of the old belts. I decided whilst I was at it to remove the rear bins and insulation. Another nice little pile of weight suitably removed.

http://www.motorphoto.co.uk/rallye/IMAGE_160.jpg

Not too worried about the damp patch passenger side as I left the window open in the rain only the other day and that probably accounts for the wetness. It wasn't sodden like the floor stuff was, so I'm not losing any sleep there.

So, out came the passenger side material, including the bottom piece with the hole in it, dry as a bone. Virgin paint inside. Bingo.

http://www.motorphoto.co.uk/rallye/IMAGE_161.jpg

Turning my attention to the drivers side, further evidence of a new rear wing has come to light...

http://www.motorphoto.co.uk/rallye/IMAGE_162.jpg

Typically it's black inside! There's also some copper paint on the arch top, and a little bit of rust. The insulation had been replaced but this time stuck to the inside of the panel and had to be scraped off. In addition there was a sheet of very brittle material of some description glued to the lower half of the panel. which I chipped off, finding nothing abnormal underneath.

Not sure if I'm going to have time to prep and spray this before FCS, looks a bit unfortunate at the moment but I'm not putting it all back only to have to remove it again!

The rearmost bit of trim is proving to be a pain, I haven't got an allen key long enough to undo the screws!

Other parts have been sourced today, including a dual cigarette lighter socket which I am going to hide in the front ashtray (having removed the liner).

A pair of harness pads for Laura topped the day off, but she doesn't like them so now they're mine. :D

Rob Lyon
20-05-2006, 10:59 PM
good to see progress and find out the history but... if your driving inspector guy sees that it will prove his point wont it? And if you mean the parcel shelf they are a T20 torx bit as i had the same problem

Tom J
20-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Driving examiner cannot technically have anything to say about the vehicle as long as it is safe, legal and meets the criteria outlined at the time of booking, which mine always has. The argument subsequently has been related to the buckets not being adjustable, a requirement which he has failed to substantiate. Fact of the matter is the car has been like a red rag to a bull, in the same way that people get pulled by the police for driving our kind of car when they've done nothing wrong. I've posted elsewhere to the effect that I will have to take my test somewhere else and squeeze into someone else's car if possible. I have got by in a 3 door Clio (later shape) before now, albeit in pain. 40 minutes of pain for a test pass has got to be worth it now.

Returning to the car!

I'm trying to remove the black shrouds that cover the rear seatbelt mechanisms, the bits that the parcel shelf sit on. Look like 5mm allen key to me but recessed by a good couple of inches!

darrenwm
20-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Tom, just pass in an instructor car you old women! ;)

aaron w
20-05-2006, 11:14 PM
why dont you wana use an instuctors car mate???

Tom J
20-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Next week we can play 'Fit the Tom in the car'...

Everyone thinks they have the answer until they see me in the flesh trying to get behind the wheel.

Dave P
20-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm trying to remove the black shrouds that cover the rear seatbelt mechanisms, the bits that the parcel shelf sit on. Look like 5mm allen key to me but recessed by a good couple of inches!
They should be held in by a torx bolt.

Rob Lyon
20-05-2006, 11:30 PM
yea mines definately torx bit.

I think its really crap the way there treating you (from what ive heard anyway). Surely its safer if you are comfortable driving and that you have made the modifications to allow you to drive safely. But again its like antagonising a police officer you know your in the right but getting cocky only makes things worse so you nod along say yes sir and be gone. Btw not having ago or anything:o

dunc
21-05-2006, 01:07 AM
both my rear quaters are black inside.... my heart sank a little when i stripped it :s

i had a semi productive day today as well, but nowhere near as productive as it could have been as the computers are the Pug dealer where down, so the last remaining bits (seals n shit) are getting ordered on monday :s

Tom J
21-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Perhaps the black one is the original one then!

Or my car was a Friday afternoon job...

RaLyon, no offence taken, I wasn't at all snotty with them until they point blank refused to let me take another test, having taken and failed me narrowly twice. I put the carpet back in, cleaned the thing, did everything I could to make it more acceptable and homely inside before both tests, but it did me no good!

Right, off to church, then find a ratchet screwdriver that I can put my Torx bits in and be able to reach through that trim!