PDA

View Full Version : Being a marshal for a rally...

aka0019
10-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi all, have any of you ever been a marshal for a rally? I have been asked to be one and have never been to a rally before so thought it would be good to be one.

Can anyone tell me what being a marshal involves? Will I get to watch much of the rally?

Thanks
Andrew

chris v
10-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Andrew

It depends on the event and what you are asked to do, you will usually have to fill in a check sheet or sign the competitors cards if at a control (stage start and finish & most controls at a road rally) as a marshal you will be closer to the cars than the spectators but on the down side will have to be first there and last away and probally stuck in one spot.

As someone who Competes Organises and marshals on events I always rather be involved than just a spectator. If your interested in Motorsport i'm sure you'll enjoy it, and if its your first time out you'll probally be put with someone a bit more experianced.

aka0019
10-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your help Chris. It sounds like great fun, i'm definately going to do it.

Thanks again
Andrew

Boombang
10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I've marshalled / sector marshalled a load of stage rallies - its amazing and so far never had any huge problems or accidents.

Great fun but remember you are there to do a job - don't just mince about taking pictures like a lot of marshalls do :p