PDA

View Full Version : Preston Road Rally

jimbos_quiksilver
08-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Anyone out this weekend for the ONE and ONLY Preston?

Paul R
12-12-2006, 09:02 AM
nope, wish i was but havent got the car finished.

ian mep
12-12-2006, 09:37 PM
i started but both front inserts cried enough
before 1st petrol well before that but limped
to 1st petrol where we retired.

cracking event as usual

Ian

jimbos_quiksilver
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
ohh bad luck mate.

Nice to see the events living up to its reputation as a car breaker! Was out spectating, but no one heard that as road rallyings become extremely PR sensitive in the last couple of weeks

ian mep
12-12-2006, 10:09 PM
marshaling you mean don't you

it was rougher than last year but not as rough as other prestons i've done
and i've done 7 or 8 1st time i've finished out of the top 6 in all of them

Ian

Paul R
13-12-2006, 07:26 AM
its worrying me that its getting soo PR sensitive. Road rallying seems to be going through an odd time at the mo, some events arnt getting enough entrys some are getting proper numbers. its confusing the life out of me.

jimbos_quiksilver
13-12-2006, 08:56 AM
yeah...marshalling :D haha

i know exactly what you mean, it winds me up the fact that all these "do - gooders" don't want anyone to have any fun anymore. Surely if it's legal and the Police and MSA have no objections, then i can't see why there's so much of a problem.

ian mep
13-12-2006, 08:33 PM
the problems run's alot deeper than we think i'm sorry to say
and i certainly wouldn't go into it on an internet forum.

i think the road rally forums are partly to blame with people
talking bout doing this and that and not thinking
bout any one but us road rally folk reading.
any one can twist whats written into however
they want to read it or want other people to read it !!!!!!!

it doesnt need to go much further and we'll be looking for a new hobby
on a saturday night which for many including me would
be devastating.

we need to also think about if timmed events are banned from the public high way
then it would affect more than just road rally's

a very scary thought

Ian

Aled P
01-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I was the assistant Clerk of the Course for the JJ Brown memorial Rally which we organised in January. Competitors are not the problem on Road Events; it's the spectators. You can control the competitors but the spectators are impossible to police.
All of the complaints that the police received on the night were related to spectators and we repaired one stone wall and one fence on the route because spectators had gone through them. Althoug we did not have to pay for the repairs, we felt it was good PR so that we can use the roads again.
At the moment i must agree that the future looks bleak for road rallies. We are lucky here in North Wales that road rallies are so popular. It's no porblem to fill an event. But a large entry brings with it a large amount of spectators and therefore a huge amount of PR problems.