PDA

View Full Version : A Rallye day...

Jamie P
03-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, today has been a long but good day!

Started at around 11am this morning, the plans were to service the car, and fit a new starter motor (thanks Paul Hicks)...

Ive never done a starter before, so was all new to me! Needless to say i couldnt find all the bolts! And with a call to Mankee, i got to the bottom of it! The old starter came off, and the new one went on! Now my car starts first time!

At around 2pm or so Benj came over, so i helped him position and fit some flaps to his Rallye... which looks fantastic with them on! I'm sure he'll stick some pics up later!

After that, he convinced me to put the Pugsport back on, so we proceeded to do this! Its now on and rumbling like a good'un...

I thought "lets call it a day, and i can service it tomorrow" But then at around 4pm, he said "We still have a hour or so of daylight left, lets service it?" so... I said "Yeah ok" and cracked on...

Changed plugs fine, changed air filter fine, changed HT leads fine also... Drained the oil from the sump... and then this is where the fun started... I realised i hadnt got a oil filter removal tool... so thought "I know, i'll put a screwdriver through it and twist" Needless to say this didnt work...:(.. So off to the local car shop, to get the correct tool... I would always choose the chain type, but they only had the strap ones... so i parted with 4.60 and went on my way... We got back to mine, and had a go with it... It just kept slipping and not twisting the filter... after around 20 minutes of trying, i tried one last time... BUGGER! The strap snapped!

By this time, the light was almost gone, i had the car jacked up, and no oil, and a hole in the filter from the screwdriver! Luckily i called a friend who brought over a chain type, so we cracked on, and got it off! Tomorrow i'm going back to the shop and asking for a refund! The thing snapping shouldnt happen!

So by this time, we had run out of time to clean the car... So Ben went on his way... and i though "fuck it, i'm gonna clean it"... So ive spent the last hour cleaning the car in the dark! All good fun!!!

Sorry for the essay,

Jamie P xx

P.s. Thanks go to Mankee, and Ben (Benj)... :veryhappy:

darrenwm
03-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Wow Mr Motivated. At least you've got it all done and can sit in bed watching T4 tomorrow.

Are you enjoying the exhaust again?!

Jamie P
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Wow Mr Motivated. At least you've got it all done and can sit in bed watching T4 tomorrow.

Are you enjoying the exhaust again?!

Yeah it sounds nice! Louder then i remember! lol

Yup, well, i still have to change fuel filter tomorrow, but nothing hard!

Cant beleive how long it took to do it all though! But there was alot of just standing around and chatting, so lol

darrenwm
03-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah it sounds nice! Louder then i remember! lol

Yup, well, i still have to change fuel filter tomorrow, but nothing hard!

Cant beleive how long it took to do it all though! But there was alot of just standing around and chatting, so lol

Think of that time multiplied by 40 plus the parts and you've got yourself the garage bill!

Jamie P
03-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Think of that time multiplied by 40 plus the parts and you've got yourself the garage bill!

Lol yeah thats true!

JA1987
03-02-2007, 10:34 PM
The best tool for oil filter removal is the claw type one that goes on a ratchet and tightens onto the filter as you turn the ratchet. Things always take longer when theres help around dont they.

Jamie P
03-02-2007, 10:45 PM
The best tool for oil filter removal is the claw type one that goes on a ratchet and tightens onto the filter as you turn the ratchet. Things always take longer when theres help around dont they.

Well, i'll be taking the snapped one back tomorrow and promptly asking for a refund! Which is fair enough!

Brycey
04-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Oil Filter Removal Top Tip:

Get some nylon rope and wrap around the filter then get a long screwdriver or bar, twist rope around the bar then turn the bar over itself so it tightens the rope onto the oil filter. Then because of the length of bar it also gives you leverage to remove the oil filter.

:D