PDA

View Full Version : My first hillclimb.....

beastieboy
11-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Got my entry through for my first hillclimb which is on june 3rd at Harewood. Anyone else signed up ? I know there is a superfast 205, an AX, a Cinqucento and another 106 so I think I'll be going for the wooden spoon but it should be good fun !

aka0019
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Is there no regulations like you need a cage and stuff? Also do you need a special license and stuff to do it?

I'd love to do something like that but I can't even afford to tax and insure my car nevermind do a hill climb lol.

dunc
11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Goodluck :)

Just take it easy.

Dave P
11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Enjoy. :)

Have you got a timing strut?

jimmyp
11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
might come and watch mate

Ben Tearle
11-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Is there no regulations like you need a cage and stuff? Also do you need a special license and stuff to do it?

I'd love to do something like that but I can't even afford to tax and insure my car nevermind do a hill climb lol.

If you run in the production class you don't even need a cage or even a 4 point harness, just a road legal car with numbers and a timing strut ;)

The car has to retain all of the interior though :)

You'll need an MSA national B non-race license too ;) about 40 I think

I'll be at Harewood this Sunday (13th May) as my mate is running his 306 gti 6 in the production class, number 96. Just made the timing strut today actually :D

Feel free to come and have a chat on Sunday, I'll probably be in a 106 Rallye Register shirt :D

beastieboy
11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Cheers Peeps !
I might try and get down on sunday if the weather is ok. Just need to make my timing strut. I have a piece of carbon fibre so that will get used to make it ! I'm excited already !

les w
16-05-2007, 03:48 PM
hi , im competing on 3rd June at Harewood too ..i have the AX gti thats competing in the same class as you ...there is another rallye in class 2 , unmodified s2 , Rich Stevens .quick driver ..Im competing in the NSCC championship , in class SA , unmodified cars under 1400 cc , so i will be off the pace compared with Steve Foster ( modified 205 xs ) but should be fun anyhow :D ..ive never competed at Harewood before , only spectated , so looking forward to it ....will see you there
LES : :steer:

mick humphreys
16-05-2007, 05:39 PM
what are the regulations on the modified classes? what does it cost to enter the events?

sandy309
16-05-2007, 07:45 PM
There are slight regional variations in the rules, but basically to run in Road class, you must retain the original type of block and valvetrain/number of valves for that car and gearbox casing, other modifications to the engine are free. You must retain all glass and only the tailgate and bonnet can be FRP, the interior except the carpet must be kept, roll cage and bucket seat can be fitted, but the cage must not take suspension loads. The outside silhouette of the car must be retained and method of suspension operation. Tyres must be road legal and have size and profile restrictions, must be MOT'd and taxed.
Modified production the engine block must be original type to that car, but all other modifications are free, plastic panels except the shell are allowed, plastic windows (not screen), the orginal suspension system must be retained, but additional springs etc are allowed.
Sports Libre is pretty much anything goes, but there are strict rules on safety equipment and licensing.

les w
16-05-2007, 07:59 PM
The only problem with Modified production ( imo) is that it can be a money pit !!! I stick to SA , which is standard production, the only mods allowed are Uprated shocks may be used , but standard springs must be retained, no engine mods whatsoever...cage optional, race seat optional as is steering wheel , tyres to list 1a ( basically road legal) , mot ,tax ,insurance ...the midland speed championship run standard production as do nottinghan sports car club and the class sa , ( -1400cc) is very competative .....

mick humphreys
16-05-2007, 09:32 PM
so basically my car is not suitable for any of the classes unless i wanna be super slow in the super libre!

beastieboy
16-05-2007, 09:36 PM
hi , im competing on 3rd June at Harewood too ..i have the AX gti thats competing in the same class as you ...there is another rallye in class 2 , unmodified s2 , Rich Stevens .quick driver ..Im competing in the NSCC championship , in class SA , unmodified cars under 1400 cc , so i will be off the pace compared with Steve Foster ( modified 205 xs ) but should be fun anyhow :D ..ive never competed at Harewood before , only spectated , so looking forward to it ....will see you there
LES : :steer:

Look forward to seeing you there ! I'm under no illusions and know that I'll be running at the arse-end of the class but I'm still excited ! hahah ! Once I saw that Steve Foster was in the same class I realised how competative it is ! His car is uber quick. How developed is your car if you don't mind me asking ?

les w
17-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Mine is totally standard 100 bhp ax gti , absolutley nothing is uprated!! at least 2 cars in class 2 that i know of are standard , so they will be a measure of how fast im going ..i know them from the curborough championship ..the fiat tipo and the 106 rallye s2 ..they too are running in the nscc championship at Harewood on 3rd June ...

sandy309
17-05-2007, 06:09 AM
so basically my car is not suitable for any of the classes unless i wanna be super slow in the super libre!

You'd probably be ok to run in road, with what is essentially a GTi engine, depends if you get an anal protest or not.Otherwise you'd be ok for mod prod.

dynofiend
17-05-2007, 08:20 AM
ive been looking at sprinting recently, i reckon with an XSi i could get away with modified production as there was a 1.6 XSi available as an option, and my block is a 1.6 block ;) Im going to take my car along to an 'open day' at curborough where ill get some scrutineers to cast their expert eyes over the car and give me some pointers.

For me its not something ill be doing to try and win, cos i wont. Rather its a nice and cheap way to drive fast in safe conditions and use my car for what it should be used for whilst being able to measure and improve on my own performance.

beastieboy
17-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Mine is totally standard 100 bhp ax gti , absolutley nothing is uprated!! at least 2 cars in class 2 that i know of are standard , so they will be a measure of how fast im going ..i know them from the curborough championship ..the fiat tipo and the 106 rallye s2 ..they too are running in the nscc championship at Harewood on 3rd June ...

well mine is pretty standard as well so at least its not a class full of cars like Steves !

mick humphreys
17-05-2007, 01:49 PM
i've thought about that too dyno. i see it as a way of doing something competitive without the dangers associated with proper racing.

what are these open days you talk of? never heard of them

les w
17-05-2007, 03:38 PM
there is an intro into sprinting day at curborough on 2nd or 3rd of June ( cant remember which) , its a free day , a bit of instruction being driven by an experienced sprinter then a go in your own car ..all for free ..check out www.curborough.co.uk for details ..

mick humphreys
17-05-2007, 07:41 PM
hmmm whats the definition on roadlegal?

les w
17-05-2007, 08:28 PM
mot and tax n insurance as far as im aware , why what have you got ???wtf

mick humphreys
18-05-2007, 08:16 AM
soon to be none of them!

its not on the road before anyone starts whinging at me!

David B
18-05-2007, 08:23 AM
There is a book soon to be out that may be of interest to you, it's by Phil Short and Steve Wilkinson, Hillclimbing and Sprinting the Essential Manual. Have a look here www.veloce.co.uk/hill.html

vossy
18-05-2007, 09:32 AM
mick,im sure some trackday events wont let you on without mot ect.
id keep it on the road with tpft

Stinaris
18-05-2007, 11:50 AM
ive been looking at sprinting recently, i reckon with an XSi i could get away with modified production as there was a 1.6 XSi available as an option, and my block is a 1.6 block ;) Im going to take my car along to an 'open day' at curborough where ill get some scrutineers to cast their expert eyes over the car and give me some pointers.

For me its not something ill be doing to try and win, cos i wont. Rather its a nice and cheap way to drive fast in safe conditions and use my car for what it should be used for whilst being able to measure and improve on my own performance.

I think the midlands have similar classes to the south, so with a 1.6 XSi you'd be the 2000cc and under class.
You'd be up against Honda S2000, Clio 182 Cup etc etc.

mick humphreys
18-05-2007, 12:52 PM
then i'll take it to trackdays that do let me on! the only ones that are likely not to let you on are novice days and im not planning on going to any of them

it'd never get through an mot anyway

Dave P
18-05-2007, 04:34 PM
You'd be ok for the road saloon class in Scotland Mick, its kinda anything goes as long as its MOT'd or RAC log booked up here. :cool:

mick humphreys
18-05-2007, 10:02 PM
1, i dont fancy travelling to scotland
2. i have no dash or number plates or number plate lights. i think i'll just stick to track days then!