PDA

View Full Version : My Rallye is falling apart

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
As you may have seen before I had a huge crack in the boot, which I could see daylight through. Well I took this to have it welded up yesterday and I now have a worse problem. The entire arch on the passenger side is rotten :yikes:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/james106rallye/S6001935.jpg

I don't know if this is repairable, or if it is how much money I'm going to need to waste on it. Either that or I sell the car to someone else who can sort it out, but it's probably not worth anything now :(

I'm thinking of running it as it is until after FCS (which I really want to go to in the Rallye) then buying a really cheap runabout whilst I either sort out the Rallye, or sell it and buy a newer GTi.

I just don't know what to do as I love the Rallye but I can't be bothered with all its problems. As you can tell I'm not happy with it at the moment. Over the last two days I've ripped a mudflap off, I have water in the rear light and can't get that off because the didgy plastic wingnut has broke and I've snapped one of my new cyclone wheel bolts and had to have that drilled out this afternoon - I've currently got three bolts holding the wheel on. I hate the car so much right now, but I know if it all get sorted I'd love it again :o

Sorry for the moan!

scribbler
03-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Ouch, looks nasty.

Why was the boot floor so cracked in the first place? Dont really see them going there very often.

Have you only just noticed that arch then? must of been like it for quite a while :(

jameshilton
03-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Benji's cut that out and repaired it on his S1 so its saveable.

DannyWoodvine
03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
James you now know what its like to own a rallye!!!:cry: :mad:

Sorry to hear about this though mate im gutted for you:( :( :( :( :( :(

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Danny, I know what you've gone through now (almost) and don't know if it'll ever be worth being in the same position a year on when the next thing goes wrong :o

Ouch, looks nasty.

Why was the boot floor so cracked in the first place? Dont really see them going there very often.

Have you only just noticed that arch then? must of been like it for quite a while :(

I don't know but I think the 16"s and the suspension being too low may have put too much strain on it. It was always a little bit odd there after I'd ripped the carpet out of the boot, but since Le Jog it seems worse (possibly all the stuff I had in the boot pushed it out a bit more). I never noticed the arch was that bad as it was caked in mud. I cleaned the arches today and it was worse than I was expecting :(

Benji's cut that out and repaired it on his S1 so its saveable.

I'm glad to here that, thanks :) I need to find out how much it's going to cost me now :cry: I need somewhere to get this car off the road in a couple of months time and get some work done on it I think

JoeW
03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Hate to make things worse man, but buying a GTi really won't help you at all, they are just as un-reliable.

semtex
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
lol they are french it comes with the territory, if you want reliablility then jap seems the way , also that does look quite nasty , has the car been rear ended at some time ?

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 03:41 PM
lol they are french it comes with the territory, if you want reliablility then jap seems the way , also that does look quite nasty , has the car been rear ended at some time ?

Funny you should say that, I'm sure now that the car has had an accident at some time. Under the door cards in the back one of the rear quarters is black, the other is white.

I still want a 106, but maybe one that is newer and has been looked after

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Anyway, on a more positive note... :)

Here's the bit that's been welded in the boot and now painted. I also repainted the whole boot too.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/james106rallye/S6001937.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/james106rallye/S6001936.jpg

I reckon I'll put my jap wing on next week too :lol:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/james106rallye/S6001934.jpg

semtex
03-06-2007, 04:00 PM
you shouldnt even know someone with one of those lol, seriously though whoever welded that other bit up will be fine welding that arch, looks a very tidy job , couple more coats of paint and you'll never know

scribbler
03-06-2007, 04:07 PM
And whilst you are at it get the back end rasied :)

Stick with it!

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
My brother was given the wing, so I thought I'd take a photo for a laugh :p

The guy who welded the boot up said the arch was going to be more tricky and more expensive. I'll see him again though and ask him :)

Also, will it be safe to drive with 3 bolts in the back wheel until I can get another one?

I don't know anyone who can raise the back end up for me and I'm not paying a garage 150 to do it! :yikes:

scribbler
03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't drive with 3 bolts in one wheel!!

Im sure some people off here can raise the rear, iirc someone of Sax-p is brave enough to attack rear beams aswell.

semtex
03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
3 bolts will be ok temporary but dont go to fast treat it as a speed limiter lol

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Cheers :) I'm ordering two (so I have a spare in case it happens again) tonight off ebay so hopefully they wont take too long to arrive :)

If I stick to the main road to work I rarely get over 50mph anyway :heh:

jon_ox
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
dont get rid of it becuase of that little but of rust mate! just cut it out and replate it jobs a gooden :) by the way those wheels look ace with the lion painted red!!

Dave_C
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Fuck it, I've had 3 wheel bolts on my back wheel since feb lol. If 3 stud wheels are fine, I dont see a problem with 3 bolts in a 4 stud. Cept for the spacing aint the same. Oh well.

danthedon
03-06-2007, 05:52 PM
unlucky james but the weld job on the rear seems to be good so get the arch sorted and it will be all good, your car has got an awfull lot of rust for an 'S' or whatever year it is lol

too much driving on the beach with the salty water lol

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
unlucky james but the weld job on the rear seems to be good so get the arch sorted and it will be all good, your car has got an awfull lot of rust for an 'S' or whatever year it is lol

too much driving on the beach with the salty water lol

No idea why, but mine seems to be the rustiest 106 I've ever seen :confused: :( There's a patch under the boot floor that looks like it needs some attention too.

Maybe the car has been near the sea for too long, though I haven't taken it on the beach (yet :grin:)

Bonnie
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Just about to say, has it been near the sea. That must be repairable James, ask around and speak to sandy309 about raising the rear, i'm sure he could do it and won't rip you off :)

Gus
03-06-2007, 07:11 PM
You tart! Stick with it!

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
funny post

Oh well, I've just made 200 from selling some alloys. Think I have a bit of money to save the Rallye now :grin:

Gregg
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Also, will it be safe to drive with 3 bolts in the back wheel until I can get another one?

Er, yes. I did the whole of LeJoG with only 3 wheel bolts in one of the rear wheels on my 309 :oops: Just make sure the others stay tight.

The rusty arch doen't look 'normal', probably is the result of a repair following a rear end shunt that also caused the crack in the boot floor.

J Butler
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
The bit in the back that has been welded, I think mine is the same although ive never paid much attention as it looks fine. I think it was rust that was pushed through and filled on the inner arch as its single skin i believe? The panel was then spot welded back.

J Butler
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I dont think its a rear ender by the way its just a common stress point.

Carl Gibson
03-06-2007, 07:53 PM
good job ma8, all rust problems can be cured, but they come with a price... i had a big problem with my one, rusted through on the two front arches, quite badly too, but with a bit of time and effort i think i done a good job of it, grinned all the rusty shit out and made a new plate to fit, welded the plate in then red led paint to stop the rust problem coming back again and then shults the hole inner arch... problem solved, here is some pics of what my car looked like...

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/gibbo1822/DSC02123.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/gibbo1822/IMAGE_065.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/gibbo1822/IMAGE_117.jpg

pedantlewis
03-06-2007, 10:12 PM
James you're not having a good time of it atm are you mate?!

As i said following Le Jog you're more than welcome to bring it to mine to get the rear height sorted, i won't charge you 150 :grin:

Get the rust sorted and get back out in it and i'm sure you'll love it again, you've put a lot of work in and it'd be a shame to see it go.

Rallye James
03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
It seems to be one think after another, some days I just hate it, but I don't want to sell it :( But I've seen Danny's record and don't want to go down the same route :o I think this rust is the biggest problem at the moment, though I still need new discs and pads, I've got a split CV boot that could do with sorting and I think the gearbox is giving up :doh:

Would I be able to bring it up in a few weeks and have the suspension done? I don't mind paying your dad a fair bit, just not 150! :p Would be very appreciated :)

How's your Rallye at the moment by the way?

Carl, that hole looks nasty! Gives me some hope for this :)

Tom J
04-06-2007, 07:56 AM
The weld you've had done my white one needs, and I really should have done it by now.

The Red one is flaking where yours has gone on the inner arch, it's covered by very good paint but will need some attention at some point.

Get 'em welded and stop moaning you big wuss ;) This is part of the fun of Rallye ownership! (Must say though yours seems to have had a harder life than some!)

pedantlewis
04-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Yeah that should be fine James, i can't do this weekend coming, but the one after that will probably be okay. I'll check with my dad tonight and make sure he'll be about to help.

Keep your chin up mate, it'll all get sorted! :)

Rallye James
04-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Cheers Lewis! :veryhappy:

I'm not around on the Sunday that weekend, but the Saturday is alright if that's OK with you? :grin:

pedantlewis
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Just had a word with my dad, he's about on that saturday (the 23rd), so come on up and we'll get your car's arse off the floor! tongue out ;)

The only reason we'd have to call it off is if the weather is bad, as we don't have a big enough under cover space to do it in, so let's hope the summer sun is smiling on us!

Rallye James
05-06-2007, 07:33 AM
That's great Lewis! I can't wait :veryhappy: