PDA

View Full Version : THE RALLYE MAKES ME MAD!!!

TeaCake
13-06-2007, 04:19 PM
jesus the rallye has been playing up at the moment, basically it failed its emmisions for some odd reason. i took it to a garage where they carried out a compression test and loads of sensor/ecu tests etc.

results came back saying all the cylinders where running abit low on compression. cylinder number 3 was particually bad! this suggests that ever since i bought the damn thing its been running like this. the m.o.t bloke said the tickover was shite, but tbh i was led to believe that all s1 rallyes run manky on tickover.

i think the problem may be the headgasket?! as it is using some water and it runs quite hot. it had a full engine rebuild in 2005 and the reciets are endless, so i dont realy know what to do, the bloke at the garage said they would decoke it and that.....but that costs a fair bit,and i cant be arsed with that.

also on start up there is a slight wiff of petrol, could this be a clue?

on top of all this my speedo has stoped working and the exhaust has started blowing, sometimes i realy do just feel like getting rid!!!!!!

can someone please suggest what maybe the problem with my engine before i spend big $$$

rant over
.. alex

sandy309
13-06-2007, 04:24 PM
HG sounds distinctly possible.

TeaCake
13-06-2007, 04:29 PM
thats what i was thinking sandy but there is no signs of oil in the water. hopefully it will just be the headgasket.

the water temp can sometimes sit just below the red when im in traffic and can sometimes be just over 3/4 on normal driving. also it gets to 3/4 at around 5 mins of driving from cold.

Aleksandr
13-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Yup, sounds like a Rallye! I've just had to pay out for a new clutch and i'm going to have to buy new engine mounts soon (can anyone say group N:clap: ) I don't want to even think what it will need before its MOT in September! Still great fun though isn't it? tongue out

Azmo
13-06-2007, 04:45 PM
unfortunately sometimes you wont get the usual signs of water in oil or oil in water, specialy if its a small leak. Have to agree with Sandy there I'm afraid fella.

TeaCake
14-06-2007, 06:17 PM
is there anything else that could be causing it? im just praying its not valves or piston rings or i will probably just the sell it.

is there any other tell tale signs of a nackered head gasket other than the obvious?

alex

EDWARDS
14-06-2007, 06:29 PM
my mates old gti did this ran hot used alot of water, we cleaned the thermostat one day and it ran colder for a while i think then got hotter again, he never did anythin about it even tho a couple of people said it was the headgasket never seemed to get worse just ran hot and used alot of water. went realy well aswell:D

aka0019
14-06-2007, 06:56 PM
I had the same problem. When idling mine sounded very rough but like you I just thought thats how rallyes were. It used to get hot aswell until eventually it got hot all the time. There was no signs of oil in the water or vice versa though. In the end I just done the head gasket and it's been fine since.

I have also felt like selling before, especially when my head gasket was on it's way out, plus the clutch gave up which didn't help. It's back on the road now and i'm loving it again. Just stick with it mate, i'm sure it will get sorted.

TeaCake
14-06-2007, 07:19 PM
thanx for the advice lads, its realy appriciated. 2morow i will try and get time to take the head off... then il soon find out lol.

at the end of the day it probs is the head gasket and as aka0019 says il probably be on the road with a smile on my face (soon i hope)

alex

Robinson
14-06-2007, 07:37 PM
If the exhaust is blowing of course it will fail emissions.
Bet the garage is just trying to get money out of you. Although it could be the head gasket.