PDA

View Full Version : 106 RaceCar

olidaviesuk
13-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi..

Hoping you guys can help me.. I currently race a Nova in the 750MC stock hatch championship (baby touring cars), next year I am planning on upgrading to a 106 Rallye/XSi.

The 106's that are allowed by the championship are

S1 106 XSi - 1400cc
S1 106 XSi - 1600cc

S2 106 Rallye - 1600cc - (preffered choice)

The guys on the 106 owners club suggested that I post on here as they said you guys probably had a better understanding of the questions I was asking. I've had a look round the forum already but not found anything that directly answers my questions so hoping that you guys can help as my Peugeot knowledge is somewhat lacking as haven't owned one since a 205 GTi in 99'

So here goes:

Is the S2 106 Rallye essentially the same car as the Saxo VTR other than the weight differences and does it still have a torsion bar rear beam. Also is it a completely new chassis to the S1 Rallye and what are the main differences?

Secondly are the 1.6 and 1.4 XSi exactly the same car bar a different engine size (ie they have exactly the same rear beam, torsion bars, roll bars, brakes etc) or are their differences..

Also depending on the answers received..

I will be interested in buying 106 XSi's or an S2 Rallye...

However as the car is going to be raced and completely stripped down to a bare shell and a multipoint weld in group A cage fitted. I don't want minters as I can't bring myself to strip a really good example of a car.. :( but interested in cars with rough bodywork, blown engines etc...

My email address is oli.davies@talk21.com if you've got something I might be interested in (im in the south east of england)

Cheers

Oli

Jon
13-07-2007, 12:53 PM
"Is the S2 106 Rallye essentially the same car as the Saxo VTR other than the weight differences"

Yes it is the same car. The shell is 95* the same. A slightly different shaped slam panel on the front and rear, and slightly different shaped rear quarter panels which are welded on. Strip them both and there'll be marginal weight difference.

The Suspension system is the same, probably using different damping and spring rates, but in the same bodies.

The engine in the Rallye is very similar. The bottom end is the same. The ECU and head/cams are slightly different though I'm not exactly sure what. It makes about 10bhp difference though. Different gear ratios, though both the same type of gearbox (interchangable)

"Also is it a completely new chassis to the S1 Rallye and what are the main differences?"

The shell is again very similar. Different front and rear slam panels. The S2 shell is slightly heavier as they added a little to help it react better in an accident.

"Secondly are the 1.6 and 1.4 XSi exactly the same car bar a different engine size (ie they have exactly the same rear beam, torsion bars, roll bars, brakes etc) or are their differences"

Yes. Again possible damping and spring rate changes. The 1.6's tended to come later so were better specced with PAS etc. Again different gear ratios. I'm fairly sure the 1.6XSi uses the same ratios as the 1.6 rallye. The 1.3 rallye uses very slightly shorter ratios than the 1.4 XSi.

If you're interested I've got a good condition undamaged Saxo VTR/S shell with panels/glass/exterior trim available. Also a 1.4 XSi shell with panels. Good condition but with a slight bend under the ECU tray, infront of the strut and engine mount. Bar that the shell is straight.

I'm near Reading by the way.

Hope that answers some questions!