PDA

View Full Version : St Eval Sprint, Nr Newquay 23rd May

gtmotorsport
21-05-2010, 04:27 PM
For those that don't know Newquay Auto Club are holding a sprint this Sunday 23rd May.

Entries I think are closed, but for all those that are in Cornwall and maybe didn't know or are looking for something to do come along and watch.

The weather is looking good and there is a food van. I also believe a Sandy Brown engined 205 is running, so should make for a good day out.

Don't quote me on this, but I think entry is around 5 per car for spec'ies.

Hope to see a few of you there. I am running a White 205 xs for the first time and first ever sprint.

Regards,
Graham Timms

Taken from - http://www.cornishspeedchampionship.co.uk/venues.htm

Venue: St. Eval Circuit

Location: 6 miles N of Newquay. Access from either A.39 (Fraddon-Wadebridge road) at North end of St. Columb by-pass (follow signs) or from B.3296 (Newquay-Padstow road) north of Mawgan Porth village.

Description : The only Sprint venue in the Championship accessable to spectators. Well known airfield circuit used for many years in various layouts. Current circuit is run in an anti-clockwise direction and retains a fast straight which sees the quicker cars exceeding 100mph. With various RH and LH bends and a hairpin ; timed runs total almost 2 miles. Good spectator viewing with easy access to Paddock area.

Organising Club: Newquay Auto Club Ltd.

sandy309
21-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Good luck Graham, I expect my 1400 16v 205 will be there and possibly the 2.0 16v 205 too.

Sam Matthews No.953
24-05-2010, 10:04 AM
do you know what the age range is to start car sprints ?
thanx
sam

gtmotorsport
24-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I am not 100%, but I think it is 16. You tend to find that most are 18 plus in truth due to the costs, dare I say it.

It is my first season and yesterday was my first event, but car aside the biggest outlay I had was safety kit. I spent a total of 900 on Helmet, Race suit, gloves and boots. Yes, you don't have to spend that much, but as a minimum you have to have a suit, gloves and helmet. If your lucky second hand is an option, but be carefull as the regulations on helmets could mean you will be buying a new one in a few years.

If your interested come along on the 6th June, everyone is friendly and will help you out if you wanted to find out more or have a go in the future.

Cheers,
Graham

Sam Matthews No.953
24-05-2010, 11:48 AM
thanx alot graham thats a huge help i watched the sprint yesterday and i thought it was awesome
i am currently 15 years old and in the ministox at st day but i am thinking of maybe doing sprint cars when i turn 16 .
thanx
sam

gtmotorsport
24-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Just checked the MSA regs and I was right the age is 16, but with the obvious parent involvement.

Link to the 2010 MSA year book - http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=876

Well worth reading the required sections if your thinking of having a go.

Also just to add, make contact with the local clubs. Both Camel Vale Motor Club and Newquay Auto Club are a really friendly bunch. I have been a member of both, but only currently a member of Newquay. Only due to the cost of being a member of so many clubs it was silly last year (Landrover club, BMW club, etc, etc).

Web sites for you:-

http://www.newquayautoclub.co.uk/index.html

http://camelvale.homestead.com/index.html

Sam Matthews No.953
24-05-2010, 05:12 PM
thankyou graham you were a great help and yh perhaps i will give it a go when im 16 with my dad aswell
thanks loads !!
sam

indigorallye
24-05-2010, 06:12 PM
If you are feeling flush what about SaxMax?

How did the sprint go?

gtmotorsport
24-05-2010, 07:08 PM
It wasn't so bad, great day even though I had some car issues.
Mainly gear linkage being hit by the exhaust manifold flange and knocking it out of 2nd when braking or cornering hard.
Think I may have sorted it out now, by increasing the length of the selector rod. Hard to put the car through the same conditions on the road, but seems better.

Sam Matthews No.953
24-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Isn't there someone called josh davey that does saxmax ?
Which car were you in graham on Sunday ?
Cherz

gtmotorsport
25-05-2010, 07:22 AM
I was running the White 205 XS No. 8, having a hoot which is the main thing.

Sam Matthews No.953
25-05-2010, 07:40 AM
yeah exactly lol it looked quick tho not sure what car i would have if i were to start lol probs a mini or summin

gtmotorsport
25-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Something to consider if you were going to run in the road going class is the car has to be MOT'ed, Tax'ed and Insured. Hence the Modified class is sometimes a better option, but another ball game in cost.

The road going classes, are by far the best option to start as it requires the minimum of additions to a standard road car to be able to get out and have a go. You can then develope the car as your budget allows and add the safety as your confidence grows.

As for me that is my plan, main thing for me this time out was to push the car to it's limits and get a true feel for it. Something you really can't do on the road and find the faults as I did that don't show driving on the road. I feel a lack of pasties in aid of car parts in order! Could make me quicker if I get rid of the belly, lol

Sam Matthews No.953
25-05-2010, 10:09 AM
hehe lol yeah i think doing it that way would be the easiest option as ill probably be getting my first car just before i turn 17 so i guess ill have to carry on withthe ministox and then decide on what i want to do when i finish them.
are the sprints on every other week now then ?