106 Rallye Register Forum

106 Rallye Register Forum (http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/forum.php)
-   Suspension, Handling & Brakes (http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   ABS and non abs rear hub differences (http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=89460)

bluebouy 12-06-2013 07:33 PM

ABS and non abs rear hub differences

My cars a non abs model (or at least i thought so) My plan was to replace a rear bearing/hub tonight - took off the disc and what do you know its an abs hub! The ABS has clearly been removed.
Before i start knocking about the old one and getting it off and possibly wasting time... Does anybody know if the non abs hub i have sat here will fit?

Harv 12-06-2013 08:46 PM

Can't see any differences on servicebox - all use the same spacers etc. Thing to do is get the ruler out and compare some dimensions - chances are the ABS version just has the appropriate ring pressed onto it/moulded onto the outside. IIRC the arms are the same between ABS & non-ABS, just without the sensor installed!

bluebouy 12-06-2013 09:12 PM

Thanks for that Harv (i dont have access to service box) Although i have found numerous different length stub pins online but none specify abs or non.
By the feel of it the ring is moulded onto the back and the hub mounting length/depth may well be the same, I guess i will just have to wrestle it off measure it all up and post back with some sort of definitive answer later.

Many thanks!

monka 12-06-2013 09:39 PM

I have an abs rear beam knocking about here, not the best of condition, but has hubs, free to collect if ya want

bluebouy 15-06-2013 06:31 PM

Thanks for the offer Monka but my beam is a recent one by IMAxles (10k ago according to receipts) Which may account for why my bearing went in the first place perhaps?

The bearing looked new but was deffo shot and incidently theres no difference between abs and non abs bearings size wise Basically as Harv has said above, But i knew i was in trouble when I saw how the nut had beeen staked by someone just beating the crap out of it all the way round - I mean who wants to use that big ole slot in the stub anyway right?!?

Turns out the bearing was shot because the securing nut had been cross threaded all the way on - yes all the way! No doubt generating swarf which in turn fooked the bearing.... I'm Going to assume this happened at IMAxles with someone in a hurry and with a hefty impact driver, or an idiot...or both.

Oh Yeah and the threads on my stub are mullered, properly properly mullered FFS!

TarkMalbot 18-12-2016 04:17 PM

I am in the same situation. I was going to start a new thread but found this one.

I have a GTI rear axle running disk brakes. The car I got the axle from had ABS so the hubs have the ABS rings. The bearings need replacing so I am going to replace the hubs. Will the None ABS hubs fit straight onto the axle as my rally car doesn't have ABS and the Non ABS hubs are cheaper?
Thanks.

VeiRoN 18-12-2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarkMalbot (Post 872195)
I am in the same situation. I was going to start a new thread but found this one.

I have a GTI rear axle running disk brakes. The car I got the axle from had ABS so the hubs have the ABS rings. The bearings need replacing so I am going to replace the hubs. Will the None ABS hubs fit straight onto the axle as my rally car doesn't have ABS and the Non ABS hubs are cheaper?
Thanks.

Same part,only difference is the ring for the ABS.

TarkMalbot 18-12-2016 08:31 PM

Perfect that's exactly what I needed to know.