home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > London & South East > South East Members Cars

Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Jizz's car blog!

106 Rallye S2

Intro:
well where to start since buying my rallye nearly a year ago ive spent lots of money and time on it and thought it would be nice to document it here.
all the future jobs i do im planning on taking progress pics for the benefits of other users!...

when i bought the car it was on 85,000 and in a near mint condition.
it now has a few battle wounds but nothing the bodyshop carnt sort out for a few quid!
few pics from the day i picked it up:

few other cool pics!

the car was totally standard and i was happy with it for a while...
until the exhaust broke so i upgraded with a full pugssport de-cat system
ive pretty much uprgraded parts as theyve broke with the exception on the OMP braces of which i have both upper and lower examples,i would highly recomend these upgrades to your rallye, what a handling improvement!

and now the inevitable happened the headgasket goes, so off i go to replace that but whilst the head was off i decided to go for a port and polish & skim, also i got abit greedy and decided to fit a kent fast road cam, put it back together and was over the moon with my new cam!
the brakes wer beggining to show there age so i replaced them with the OMP group N discs with some omp pads to match, was thoroughly impressed with this!
As a said before i pretty much (with the few exceptions) replace and upgrade things when they break! which was the case with my radiator, so this saw a nissens one replace it, these rads are the dogs danglys really helped improve the cooling on the car.(even on the track it doesnt heat over the first bar)
theres also a full set of new engine covers winging its way from 106 parts as we speak,should smarten the bay up abit!

im trying to bring the "blog" up to date so i can continue with things to come over the next few months, so in a nut shell after the rad failed and was replaced the car saw itself treated to a full service ect! i soon after replaced the droplinks with a moog product!
it also has 2 new steals at the front with hopefully some new rear ones to follow shortly!
this is really putting my memory to the test trying to remember all the things ive done to it lol
but as i said this is the beggining to a very long blog that will be extensively updated over the next few months!, that pretty much brings us up to day and thats how the car stands at the moment!

Rallye plans

right ive thought long and hard about this since coming back from FCS and have finally decided what lays in the future for me and my rallye!
basically i come home and thought about what route i should go down, i thought back to all the rallyes i had seen at the weekend and they were all one of two things they were either A)completely motorsport orientated i.e stripped bare interior or they were B) nice mint show worthy examples,no really performance modifications.
this is of course with the exceptions of a few examples that are astetically pleasing and fookin quick!

so ive decided that my rallye should meet both these criteria.I plan to keep loyal to team 8V! !
i want a car that will "eat 16v's" on the track, plus a mint looking road car thats comfortable ect

in order to achieve this,i plan to add, to the modifications allready on the car as follows:

vernier pulley
raceland manifold
series 1 inlet
group N engine mounts
eibach coilovers
quaife LSD
powerflex bushes

these engine mods will be finished off with a days work from mister shofield at chipwizards, and with the intention to possibly super charge left open when funds allow!

inside the shed i plan to strip the back seats ect and re-carpet with another blue s2 carpet
in the rear.
this will be finished off with a white omp roll cage and a mounted spare steel in the middle that will sit at a 45 degree angle.

so thats enough for today, watch this space for an update shortly and remember...............

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE
Old 30-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
James106xsi
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
Look forward to seeing the bike TB build as I'm going down the same route, hoping to get it done in time for xmas tho
James106xsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
yep shall be interesting in deed, just trying to scrape together the last bit of money of the next 2 months, the i think im looking at january to start it properly, but hopefully should be done by the end of jan, depending on the people its going to etc...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
was bored when i got in from work today so decided to set about painting my centre caps to make them look nice and new for ar lol
they look good but because of flash on the lil digi cam i used they dont looks as good as they do in the flesh (or plastic so to speak)

other purchases this week include a much needed set of new matts,a williams f1 ambi pure air freshener and some new wiper blades all around
and a special secret purchase

pics of caps

Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
just need to get a cotton bud and some spirits to clean them up a little bit where i went outside the line oooooooops lol
Old 08-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Can I guess what the secret purchase is?
James106xsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by James106xsi View Post
Can I guess what the secret purchase is?
guess away lol
Old 08-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Rich & Chris
2 HALVES OF A 106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
a big pink butt plug???

Last edited by Big Jazzle; 08-10-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Rich & Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Rich & Chris
2 HALVES OF A 106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
lol, well you never know i guess
Old 31-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Lacey
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
I thought you said the blog would get interesting after christmas?!

So far all i can see is a painted centre cap and a hairy leg.
Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
ooo update

- the centre caps need painting again-

Old 31-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Lacey
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
it must be all that driving your car has been getting recently
Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
yeah i drive my cat everywhere
Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
well i think il leave my other mini blog for purely engine build stuff then merge them when its done etc.

but for an update for this one, today i had quite a productive day;

i changed the oil and filter
new plugs
new leads
replaced the top hose which split last week

next week my new suspension goes on so that'l be good!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
ok well lets have abit of an update then.

first and formost most of you would have noticed ive sold the TB bits, so to answer that question first 'why?'

well mainly through love for the car really, ive allways had some idea at the back of my head of it being a nice fast fun road car thats more than suited for the occasional track day, the current spec for me is just on the edge of road drivability, its definately more than able to cope with the odd track day being thrown at it aswell.

At the end of last year i spent a substantial amount of money on parts for it, comprimising of the jenvey kit,manifold and the dta but also some bilstein group N dampers with some 30mm eibachs,full new set of decals,new pugsport,new set all tyres all around,new omp breaks all around,braided hoses,omp fast road clutch,new drive shafts for each side,new cambelt +tensioner,headgasket,mocal oil catch tank,had all dents removed from the body,new clutch cable,new drop links,group n engine mounts,raceland manifold,16v bottom end,newmans ph2 camshaft and im sure a few other bits aswell.

pretty much most of the above bar the jenvey kit is on the car now, biggest notable upgrade for me was the suspension although its now a much harder drive the feedback is great and response mind blowing, although a litle bumpy at times.

So at the minute apart from having a major OE part overhaul and replacing some ageing essential components the actual spec of the car sits at;

1600 8v

s1 inlet manifold
pt11 kent cam
2inch pugsport
janspeed 4-2-1
s1 air system with KnN panel
grp N mounts
remapped standard ecu
mocal oil catch tank
upper omp strut brace

247mm omp fast road discs and special omp pads all round

Bilstein grp N dampers with eibach 30mm springs
lower strut brace

premi contact 2 tyres all around

So as i said in the last post its just had a nice service which leaves me over the next few weeks to change the following parts.

janspeed 4-2-1 is being changed to a raceland 4-2-1

pt11 cam is being replaced by a newmans ph2

new clutch going in with semi box rebuild to include input shaft bearings etc

16v bottom end is possibly going to sit under the 8v head-unsure yet though.

qep lightened and balanced fly to go on

new panel filter on its way

ptfe gasket going on

then it'l be due another trip up to manchester to see mister schofield and have the map tweaked.

then after that il be slapping a quaife diff on and spec wise that will pretty much be how im keeping it if im honest, i feel quite satisfied with that, and in this car modifying world isnt it nice to have an end goal, rather than constantly chasing your tale and changing your mind changing bits all the time, im quite convinced that when ive done the above il be happy with the performance of the car for the rest of its days, and can then concentrate my efforts on replacing bits and bobs as they break and keeping it as mint as can be for a road going occasional track toy.

il finish my first blog post of the year with a few piccys from the end of last year, taken shortly after the dents were removed and the new decals wer on.

watch this space

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #16
Nick_Christy
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
how much was the old dent man?? where did you go for that?

nick
Nick_Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
i used a company called dent rewind there based in southborough kent, about 10 mins up the road from me.

i discovered them in an old issue of performance french car, one of the staf took there vts there and did a blinding job.

i must admit i was blown away by the job this guy done, absaloutly top noth and he done the whole car for 110 iirc.
there were two main big dents in the tailgate and on the drivers door and the whole thing was peppered in stone dents etc.

apart from the tiny scrape on the arch and some stone chip damage to the rear arch it looks like a new car.

id reccomend them anyday
Old 13-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #18
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Looks stunning in those last photographs!
curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
bobdylan_55
106 RALLYE REGISTER FRUITCAKE

User Gallery
shweeeet, get that ph2 in the pt11 as ive recently found out is pants lol. ph2 should be much more to your liking.
bobdylan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
Aleksandr
SOUTH EAST GROUP LEADER #2

User Gallery Car Blog
I saw that article on dent rewind, I've a few dents that need sorting at some point so that's good to know!

You keeping the interior standard Jazz man? I've got something new and shiny that should be fitted this weekend that will tempt you over to the dark side

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...
Aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #21
RallyeDom

User Gallery
its look goooooooooood! sounds like youve got a good compramise track and road use, as probably 98% of its usage will be on the road.
Old 13-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponk View Post
I saw that article on dent rewind, I've a few dents that need sorting at some point so that's good to know!

You keeping the interior standard Jazz man? I've got something new and shiny that should be fitted this weekend that will tempt you over to the dark side
yeah dent rewind is quality, good workman ship and well price, come on then whats the secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineo444 View Post
its look goooooooooood! sounds like youve got a good compramise track and road use, as probably 98% of its usage will be on the road.
exactly mate, i enjoy it so much on the road and its going to be just as much fun on the track i know it!

i do miss those sunny days
Old 13-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #23
Gus
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SCOTTISH GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
Exactly my thinking Jazz, but I have the roar of TB's Its good to have a car you know is reliable, so you can give it a beating on track, and still drive home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
My resolution for 2011 is to sort my fucking car
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #24
John Jedi

User Gallery
well your getting alot better with the old 110 film camera then babe ;-)
John Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jedi View Post
well your getting alot better with the old 110 film camera then babe ;-)
FOOK ME!
THE JEDI LIVES!!!

how the heck are you mate???

pm me your moby number son.
Old 24-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #26
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
well its 01:15am just got in from my round trip to mankees world of gearbox wonder!
mankees done a smashing job and was super quick to boot!

was a pretty comical trip actually, spent some time in teh village pub with my friends dicing with death on the kareoke and the village idiot

bloody knackered though, i report back when the box goes back on in what ermmm 4 HOURS EXACTLY!

nighty night

well box is back on, didnt actually realise how much noise it was making before it was repaired, it all seems abit quiet now lol
super quick once again with no slippage so all is good, bring on brands next wednesday!

im going to pop outside today and clean it off for the LAM tomorow,maybee have an hour or so of piccy taking time

Last edited by Big Jazzle; 24-01-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Big Jazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #27
Nick_Christy
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
how much was the gbox rebuild matey...
Nick_Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #28
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
well it wasnt a full rebuild-didnt need one.

input shaft bearing and seal was replaced,alongside driveshaft seals and 5th gear syncro.
really does feel nice to drive,chomping at the bit to put it through its paces on wednesday
Old 23-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #29
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
well took about kick in the gut,^^ seeing how clean my car was pre-brands dent application

anywhooooo,onwards and upwards.

the above still stands in terms of plans etc, all it means now is theres some additional bodywork to repair.

for a while a was extremely torn between using the money its going to cost in paint and panel beaters to just buy a new shell and reshell the things, but thats got to be too easy, plus it means i loose my baby

i'am however at abit of a cross roads as to wether or not i should just get a second hand boot and door etc,and have individual panels sprayed, or strip the thing back to shell and have it completely resprayed which if im honest would be nicer for me as there are some bits of it with further inspection that are starting to age here and there...

second crossroad im stuck at is..

with the 16vbottom end ive still got, do i source a head and anscillaries for that and fit it or do i sell it for a couple of hundred and put it towards the paint job??

me thinks 16v power would be nice, but 8v power still gives me a semi

Any way, im just about to slip the latex lovers on and go outside for an assesment over the beast, proablly clean it down so i can actually see the damage properly, hell i might even make some calls and get quotes for the respray.

il take some piccies

rightttt, just been out for an inspection....

good news is that time and time again this car sits there for months without being turnedover and then allways starts first time on the button and purrs into life like a faithfull mongrel dog thats just woken up and wants to play.

bad news is that it makes me want to cry when i look at the passenger side, im going to post some pictures to get advice from you guys as to what you think i should do in terms of body work...

pics coming in 10 mins

Last edited by Big Jazzle; 23-04-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
bobdylan_55

User Gallery
screw the 16v, sell it for some cash, 106 need 8v power. to save some money why not get it painted matt black by ur local bodge artist. will look mint, and the first matt black s2 if im correct? strip it down so you can see the damage, might not be as bad as you think.
Old 23-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #31
Sam B

User Gallery Car Blog
For fucks sake keep it indigo blue
Sam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #32
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
lol it will be staying blue

ok ive got some pics, im not sure if im just trying to kid myself but after looking again the door is by far the worst panel, if that was untouched id be loking at the rest and laughing.

so from what i can see;

get a new os door
get a new tailgate
new os front wing
possibly a new rear bumper

let the dent man fix the rest
get the whole car exterior resprayed to repair war wounds and give the ok parts a freshen up

give the rear quarter of interior and engine bay a blow over myself, miles D styleee..

have a look at the pics and tell me what you guys think, it deffo looks worse than it is

oh yeah in case you wander ive still got the arches

Last edited by Big Jazzle; 23-04-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #33
Sam B

User Gallery Car Blog
You did a number on that didn't ya

Wing, door and boot are all easy replacements only annoying bit is the rear quater which is a bitch to get right apparently as you cant just remove the panel.

Wanna sell me your drivers wing mirror?

Oh also on the 106oc there was a guy breaking a indigo blue gti in surrey which may have some useful parts on it

Last edited by Sam B; 23-04-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #34
Mankee

User Gallery
Poor KFH.

I reckon strip it, cage it, do your ARDS and race it in the 750MC Stock Hatch series. They always get dented and battle-scarred anyway.
Mankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #35
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
if im honest i wasnt going to replace t rear quarter, my dent man can sort that easy

lol why would i want to sell my drivers wing mirror pmsl, im allready missing one hahaha

she'l be allright again, its only cosmetic the amount of parts ive replaced on it means she runs like a dream
Old 23-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #36
Sam B

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jazzle View Post
lol why would i want to sell my drivers wing mirror pmsl, im allready missing one hahaha
Get yourself a brand new set lol. I'm in need of driver you need passenger side. If i find a pair ill let you know.
Old 23-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #37
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
whast the score with deep scuffs into the plastic bumpers, can they be filled?

ok, here he goes, all guns blazing,bull in a china shop

Last edited by Big Jazzle; 23-04-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #38
BERTICUSMAXIMUS
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
Filler is crappy if too much is used i.e. in a big scuff, especially on bumpers as any flex will crack it. Some sort of fibre glass/plastic resin stuff would be best I think.
BERTICUSMAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #39
bobdylan_55

User Gallery
even fibreglass resin cracks easy. i think you can get purpose made stuff for filling bumpers which bends a bit more, quite a rubbery compound iirc.
Old 23-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #40
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
I'd replace the door, boot and touch up the rest. Then you can track slag it without caring too much, could always give the rear quarter a quick blow over after the dents have been knocked out. Then you need a cage and a 16v lump to make it a proper SE Rallye

Old 23-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #41
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
what way round do people do painting when installing cages, paint the back end first and then weld the cage in, or preferably wait untill al the weldings done then paint the back up?

shes staying 8v for the mo aswell
Old 23-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #42
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Depends what kind of cage really. With mine I sprayed the interior (badly I might add), then the guys that fitted the cage touched up the areas over the spreader plates before they put the cage in for the last time. Ideally you want to spray the interior after the spreader plates have gone in but before the cage goes in.

Old 24-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #43
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Major semi lob-on alert!!!

well well well,

after slagging off all my panel beating spraying friends to pete,neil and louis the other night one of thems come up trumps for me

instead of paying me to do some shots of his little'un his doing all the prep on the shell, and his mate who works for a decent mainstream dealer bodyshop is respraing the whole thing for 400

carnt sodding believe it!!! bargain.

ive just seen some exmaples of his recent work aswell and it looks top notch.

so all i be needing now is a replacement pass door,boot and front wing which i may have just sourced through a breakers on ebay

at this rate i may even be back on the road for the end of summer

happy days!
Old 24-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #44
Neil B
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
thats good mate hope it looks as good as it did before brands
Neil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #45
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
That's excellent dude! Hope you're wrapping it in cotton wool once it's all done

Old 25-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #46
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Stig View Post
thats good mate hope it looks as good as it did before brands
yeah tell me about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponk View Post
Hope you're wrapping it in cotton wool once it's all done
lol brands track day anyone?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #47
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
right bit of a mini update...

just this second got off the phone to a northern breakers yard and bagged myself a ns door(with mirror) and wing from a rear ended rallye up there

so it means the panels are mint albeit in bianca white,although its not to much of a bother as the whole cars being sprayed.

meanwhile inside the car ive completely stripped the rear interior and have now decided to remove the carpet,seats and dash and give the floor a painting throughout the whole inside.

going to go with some grip tape in the wells with a OMP passenger bucket and a pug sport drivers bucket both in blue and accompanied by some sabelt blue and yellow harnesses.

Whilst the dash is out im going to replace the heater matrix and get it flocked, the dash that is not the matrix

in the back im planning on the spraco 6 point cage as seen in stus old rallye with the standard fittings of spare wheel and helmet net.

Also ive got the raceland i bought months back coming up from sandys to mine which will be bolted on upon arrival, and the bottom end down there will at some point be collected and kept as a spare for when the 8v eventually blows up.

Il be loooking at going for a streamline carbon 'trackday' carbon package aswell to finish off the interior.

thats the short term plan and then long term the only other major things im wanting is a diff and another 50 horse powers

im going out to kick some tyres in abit so il take some update pics...

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #48
Neil B
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
i thought u wernt gonna track slag it !
Neil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #49
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Stig View Post
i thought u wernt gonna track slag it !
im going to be one of these gays who has whats practically a track car and does 1 track day a year

nah in seriousness i just want to enjoy it again and make it look abit more trick, ive had it maintained to a good 'standard' condition and a good semi modified condition now im just gonna see if i can get it to a decent modified condition, im taking inspiration from various cars, miles-simons-stu's old one and blending it with my own little tweaks to make it my own and abit more individual...

il probally do a few more track days than one a year but i think id be soo gutted if i bumped it again... lol
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #50
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
You need some 266mm brakes dude, then you'll have about the same spec as me once that lot above has been chucked at it. A bit lacking in power but awesome other wise.