home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

Suspension, Handling & Brakes Suspension set ups, uprated brakes

Old 20-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
micheldeman
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
rear disc conversion: how to solve brake lines

I have converted my S1 rear beam to a GTI one with disc brakes.

I am thinking of how to get the brake lines and pressure regulator done.

I bought a flaring tool, but testing that one out on cunifer pipes lines didn't give satisfactory results and most probably also not on the steel ones at the rear coming from the master brake cylinder that I need to cut-off if I would use the rear brake compensator valve.

Another option is to leave the rear pipe lines as they are on my S1 and fit a proportional adjustable bias valve near the master brake cylinder. But T-ing them first to a single brake line to a proportional bias valve and then T-ing them back again into the 2 brake lines to the rear undoes the diagonal brake safety system in case there's a leak in any of the brake lines or wheel brake cylinders as far as I can see.
Or I would need to use 2 bias valves for each line one.

I know many people have done this drum to disc brakes conversion before but not much is written about how to adapt the brake lines.

Any advise or experiences with brake lines with this drum to disc conversion is welcome.

Last edited by micheldeman; 20-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.
micheldeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
welshpug

User Gallery
you need a better flaring tool! not many will do steel anyway but should do copper-nickel just fine.

there are two inline joiners under the front floor, so I would replace from here back to the load compensator on the rear axle, simplest and safest way to do it.

offer the axle up and see how long and what shape the lines need to be, but may be easier to fit them around the side of the tank and up to the location of the compensator with the beam off the car.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
micheldeman

User Gallery
ok, thanks.
Anyone having the adjustment screw and spring for the rear brake compensator valve? I have a new brake compensator valve available, but still need the adjustment screw and spring.

It's number 2 and 3.

They are not available any more.
micheldeman is offline   Reply With Quote