home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South Wales

South Wales Swansea, Cardiff, Newport

Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #101
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
See why these jp4 conversions take 35-40 hours because people get side tracked lol. Looking good it will keep her abit tidier for a while and teach you to buy/beg/borrow or steal a jet wash after your next rally!
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #102
lukem30
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Engine and power steering all up and running

lukem30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #103
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Sort ou tthem strut tops boy and get rid of the strut brace!
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

Old 22-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #104
lukem30

User Gallery
i havn't updated in a while, basicly the cars been broken for ages, the gearbox broke on the last autotest and the power steering pump melted

When i took the box apart i found that the pinion had been rubbing on the bottom of the box and the gear above the bearing (pinion shaft) had been rubbing on the torx bolts. After a close look i found that the bearing was shot and the little plastic insert in the end of the pinion was missing, causeing the whole shaft to drop and therefore rub. So i changed the bearings, uprated the input shaft bearing to the metal caged one, fitted the plastic insert and upgraded the selector folks to new thicker and stronger rover items, you can see the difference in the selectors in the pics. I ched all the sycros and they were all good so i will hopefully get it all back together on the weekend.
I have also changed the power steering pump and fitted a fuse (was to lazy to fit one last time), last think to do is to change the pinch bolts and it all ready for action again.

I've also ordered a new head gasket and head bolts from pug ready the change the valve springs to the J4 springs when i get a spare day.

wear on caseing

uprated bearing

rover and peugeot selectors

New plastic spacer

New fuse and pich bolts
Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #105
lukem30

User Gallery
Got the head off this week to change the valve springs, John skimmed the head for me and I lapped the valves in their seats nicely before refitting with the j4 springs, buckets and retainers. When I took the head off it had the thicker j4 gasket and shorter j4 plugs fitted so I ordered a new jp4 gasket and head bolts from pug and new jp4 super 4 spark plugs so it should be running sweet when it's all back together, hopefully next week.

Old 13-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #106
stickystuff
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
looks like a good little project you've got here.

What are the entry fees and running costs like when you doa one rally?

Really interested in getting a 106 and doing a few rallyes
Old 16-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #107
lukem30

User Gallery
Entry is usually sub 100, but the navigator will usually contribute or pay the entry, apart from that it's fuel and Tyres. Some teams will use standard Tyres but most teams will spend about 70 a tire on some softer semi slicks or chunkys, commonly used are Yokohama ao21's and ao35's. The route will usually be about 120 miles so plenty for the cash and great fun.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #108
lukem30

User Gallery
Quick little update... Done the twilight road rally on the weekend, and another finish on a really tough event, still 100% finish record it was like 3 rallies for the price of one - gravel rally in the forestry in the morning, single venue stage in the afternoon at caerwent and a road rally in the evening. I was really happy with the changes I made to the car recently, especially the plated diff, the car went brilliantly all night and we ended up 1st in class and 2nd over all. There wern't a lot of finishers to be fair as it was very hard on the car but I was still chuffed with that.

The next day when I had a look over the car I noticed the wishbone bolt was hanging out so I think I had a lucky
escape there. I got a few thing to add to the to do list aswell as the car had A hard time;
Middle exhaust mount ripped off
Rear suspension collapsed
2nd gear crunching
Dent in wing (don't recall hitting anything)

Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #109
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
I'm liking the wishbone mount reinforcement - looks like both sides and bottom? Not see that done before but I imagine it has offered a lot more strength. What is your plan for the bolt to prevent reoccurrence? Drill the threads after the nylon and insert a split pin?

Are they diesel arms?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #110
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris B View Post
I'm liking the wishbone mount reinforcement - looks like both sides and bottom? Not see that done before but I imagine it has offered a lot more strength. What is your plan for the bolt to prevent reoccurrence? Drill the threads after the nylon and insert a split pin?

Are they diesel arms?
That is where the sump bolts on at the back. The nylon in the nut had worn too as they were old so it must have rattled loose.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #111
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
That's a great event mate, did it a few years ago myself!
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #112
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Derv wishbone arms too as luke doesn't run a front arb and they are stronger and don't flex under hard braking with sticky tyres on.

Old 14-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #113
lukem30

User Gallery
The main reason for the bracket around the wishbone is support the sump guard, but it also gives a little more strength and protection.

Got my exhaust all welded back up, and my new polybushes, nyloc nuts and strut top strengthing plates have arrived ready to fit on the weekend.

Forgot to mention I have also changed the disks to brembo max, and replaced the wishbones with new diesel items.

Old 14-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #114
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice! My tenner g

Nice! My tenner go towards them top mounts?

Last edited by freddy6868; 14-09-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #115
lukem30

User Gallery
Haha yes, half price now.

Hows the van looking?
Old 15-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #116
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem30 View Post
Haha yes, half price now.

Hows the van looking?
Looking brilliant! going to slam into it over then next couple of days!

Old 21-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #117
lukem30

User Gallery
Found a couple of pics from caerwent

I was shocked to find my old ploybushes in this condition

Strut top plates all welded on nicely

So... after i got the car all repaired after the twilight i got an entry on the sarn helen, was going really well until i done a shaft on a speccy point, my first DNF!
Got some pics from the corner it broke on

On the way in

Spin

Our new parking point

Long trip home

So more repair work, i bought some stronger shafts from dave mac props to hopefully stop it ruining another event. just as i thought the repair work was over for a while, the water pump stated leaking so i aslo replaced that and the timeing belt last weekend, and to top it all off the crank seal is leaking and causing the clutch to slip so yet another repair due.

Think thats about if for now
Old 21-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #118
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Looking good dude!
curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #119
lukem30

User Gallery
Managed to finish the last event of the year on the weekend, the mel harries memorial, what an enjoyable rally. Car ran good all night but we picked up 3 fails and ended up 23rd o/a and 5th in class 2. Now i've got a few months with no events planned i'm hoping to get some jobs done i've been putting off for ages, like; rebuilding the diff, changing the crank seal and highering the rear - its just so cold now without a garage

Last edited by lukem30; 21-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #120
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Thanks for the 'pointer' over here Luke.
I haven't read your blog for a few months.
These bloody gearboxes are a right pain in the arse!

Regards the Rover selectors, is that a worthy mod, or just for the sake of it? I've never herd of any problems with the Pug ones.
Also, in what way are the Dave Mac shafts uprated?

Keep plugging away at it, I love seeing them being used in anger.
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #121
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorallye View Post
Thanks for the 'pointer' over here Luke.
I haven't read your blog for a few months.
These bloody gearboxes are a right pain in the arse!

Regards the Rover selectors, is that a worthy mod, or just for the sake of it? I've never herd of any problems with the Pug ones.
Also, in what way are the Dave Mac shafts uprated?

Keep plugging away at it, I love seeing them being used in anger.
Luke always used to bend the selector for 2nd gear as he is very harsh on the box so i imagine that fitting the rover selectors will benifit him alot as they look much stronger than the pug ones.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #122
lukem30

User Gallery
As John said I'm probably too aggressive with the box and I have bent the selector folk twice, I dont think it's a common problem, just depends how you drive.
The dave mac shafts have 6 point inner and outer cv's instead of 3, they look like a quality item and are very reasonably priced, tbh mike I wish I spent the money on a BE box as I'm sick of taking mine in and out.
Old 21-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #123
lukem30

User Gallery
Some shiny bits from Santa

Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #124
lukem30

User Gallery

Parts have arrived, just waiting for the diif back from gripper so I can rebuild. In the end I had to buy;
New second gear,
New third gear,
New synchrohub,
New synchros,
New diff seals,
New input shaft seal.

Forgot to mention why I had to buy these gears, turns out that the previous owner who built the box built it with a mish mash of gears, some from a sport cluster and some from a normal cluster. Mankee helped me work out what was missing to make it a mint sport cluster, so I ordered new as I couldn't find any good condition second hand parts.

I've also blasted the new caseing ready for the rebuild, can't wait to get it all back together now.

Last edited by lukem30; 08-01-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #125
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Wow, that's quite a shopping list! What were the prices on 2nd/3rd if you don't mind me asking.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #126
lukem30

User Gallery
I really didn't want to spend that much but at least this way I know it will be perfect. List price on second was 98 but I managed to get a little discount and got it for 83 from my local dealership. Third was an eBay bargain at 10 delivered for a brand new boxed gear, but I think the list price is the same as second.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #127
lukem30

User Gallery
Box has been finished and fitted with the rebuilt diff and flywheel, what a difference. Diff is pulling like it should and the jp4 is revving lovely.
This is what was replaced by gripper

And the box going back together

We did the gremlin road rally on the weekend and ended up 20th overall and 4th semi. We were really disappointed as we picked up a fail again which lost us a top ten and a class win.

Last edited by lukem30; 10-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:16 PM   #128
lukem30

User Gallery
Haven't been on here in years, anybody know if this cars still going now?

Here's what I've been up too in my mk2 escort since selling the 106 if anyone's interested.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=221480
Old 13-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #129
Mike_Roberts

User Gallery
Tidy Escort! Love a 4 door! I think it was your old 106 that I caught up with on a road rally in 2013.. Had to help push him out of a ditch!
Mike_Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 01:08 AM   #130
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Escort thread is great, looks like you are having a lot of fun!
Old 28-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #131
lukem30

User Gallery
It's been a while, but I couldn't resist and bought another rallye, but this time it's a bit different, there's a turbo strapped to it

https://flic.kr/p/YWLYze
https://flic.kr/p/Yy7Jaj
https://flic.kr/p/Yy7KfW
https://flic.kr/p/YSAiMo

P.s I can't get the pictures to display, any tips?

Last edited by lukem30; 28-09-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 29-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #132
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Boooooooosst

Looks good. What rims is it running on?

On the Flickr photopage, click the small icon that looks like a box with an arrow bursting out of it. Copy the size and format you need using CTRL-C and paste it on the forum (choose the BB Code).

Last edited by Cris B; 29-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Cris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #133
welshpug

User Gallery

like this! though I think it doesn't work on mobile yet.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #134
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
though I think it doesn't work on mobile yet.
Yes that is a PITA