home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > London & South East > South East Members Cars

Old 24-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
tombrooks2008
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Rover BRM Road Rally Car

At the beginning of the year I made a mistake on an event and bent the front end of my 106 really badly. That was the last straw after a number of DNF's so I decided to break the car and get something new. I have always wanted a RWD car but decided to go for something reliable and strong as I've had enough of sleeping in the rally car! It may not be of interest to many people but I bought a Rover BRM for 675. With an 1800 VVC engine and Torsen LSD gearbox I thought that wasn't bad. I sold the red leather interior etc so it didnt cost much in the end... First off I took the car to the Rover Centre as they rally these Rover's plus I know them reasonably well. They fitted the sumpguard, did the head gasket, fitted Gaz Gold Suspension all round plus a few other bits. After this I stripped the interior, had the roll cage welded in and fitted a hydraulic handbrake to conform with the 2012 regs.

Fitted a load of powerflex bushes and my first event was a couple of months ago, the Barbera Carter. The car was finished on the Friday night before driving up on Saturday afternoon so barely had a chance to drive it properly. Car was faultless all night, only issue was the handbrake wouldn't lock. We finished 2nd overall which I was reall happy with!

The next event was the Guy Fawkes rally in Devon again. I extended the handbrake lever and it worked much better. Again the car was faultless other than the wwheel coming off due to not checking the nuts were tight enough - very hungover that day! We had a few issues with the navigation but ended up 4th overall which I was reasonably happy with..

Next event is the Carpet Bagger in January. Not much do on the car now except a spanner check. I do miss the 106 as it was such a nice car to drive but just wasn't strong enough to last an event! Looking forward to the Bagger as the last time I competed on it, I was in my old AX and we went through a metal gate into a field. Hoping for a better run this time!!
tombrooks2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Mankee

User Gallery
That's a hell of a car for 675! I did a 12 Car in a BRM once while the Rallye we normally use was off the road. It went pretty well. Good luck with it.
Mankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
mapamelyst
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Looks like you've got a great road rally car there Tom.
That's the way to do it, cheap purchase, good strong reasonably powerful engine, decent suspension and Bob's your Uncle, your results are proof of it too!
Very interesting thread, nice pics aswell. A win must be on the cards next year!!
Good luck, mate.
mapamelyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
mattrallye
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
I've done a couple of road rallies in one of these, very strong car! We had a Tomcat box in ours.

Partner at Trackspec - Performance parts for enthusiasts
info@trackspec.co.uk
www.trackspec.co.uk
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
lukem30

User Gallery
only just noticed this, looks a brilliant choice for the money, its what i should do really, its just ive spent so much on the 106 and got it the way i like it, i can't part with it
Old 29-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
tombrooks2008

User Gallery
I felt the same, I wouldn't of gotten rid of the 106 if I hadn't bent it so badly but it was a convenient thing to happen. I loved the 106 as it was so much fun to drive. The Rover is a lot easier to drive and more reliable but obviously not the same driving experience. But then again, I dont miss breaking down in the countryside and having to sleep in the car!!!
tombrooks2008 is offline   Reply With Quote