home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > Central Counties

Central Counties Oxfordshire, Swindon, Reading, Milton Keynes, Aylesbury

Old 31-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
stickystuff
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
stickystuffs xsi blog

Ive been a member on here for a while so i thought id start a blog

i bought a sorry looking 1.4xsi needing a new gearbox and a new head gasket. and after spending 600 on getting it road worthy it looked like this

i then got set on making it look a little less sorry :P as i work for a garage i removed the spare and got set on stripping the paint work and spraying the wheels in a different colour

before:

Duringwhilst taking over whats left of the garage :P)

and after:

i took each wheel back to bare metal and then primered 3 times and then 3 layers of satin black courtesy of halfrauds:P
i had also fitted a set of approx 40mm lowering springs to the front with the rear being std height with some g-max rear shocks. note in this picture the reight hand rear wheel was still silver:P

i decided i wanted to have disc brakes on the back not just for the better performance but also the easiness of servicing etc. i bought my self a disc beam of the bay but having spent my money on that i couldnt afford new discs and pads just yet. so it sat in my garage for 2months until i finally decided to buy some discs and pads and put it on. i bought some grooved and drilled discs with pads on ebay yet again. a full set for 110 delivered. quite a bragain compared to ebc (around 110 per pair discs :O) etc

came to fitting of the beam and front discs and pads. i got stuck into it but hit a problem when undoing a brake pipe joint and the old pipe twisted and snapped luckily my mates were on hand and took me to work to grab the pipe flaring tool and i cut the pipe so it was straight and flared the end. fitted everything and all was good. i took it down the road and took it steady but found even under quite light pressure the rears locked up

a couple of weeks later my new bias valve turned up and i went of and bought a few pipe fittings and some copper pipe. i ran the pipe inside the car connecting the bias valve and then added a t-peice at the rear of the car going to each corner

i used 1 of the rear ports for a single pipe and blocked of the other using a bleed nipple.
then ran the pipe down the car on the inside and connected the bias valve to the gear lever surround as the support for it

i then drilled a whole in the back where it would be under the rear seats. and fed the pipe out of the car into a t-peice

where i ran the pipes then to each of the back wheels allowing an even spread of pressure to the rear brakes.

Last edited by stickystuff; 07-04-2009 at 10:36 PM.
stickystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
bobdylan_55
106 RALLYE REGISTER FRUITCAKE

User Gallery
nice blog
bobdylan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
stickystuff

User Gallery
havent up dated this for a while so i thought id ad what ive done since the last time.

i got some new wheels over x-mas courtesy of stewpot_pug.

had to weld up a nicely horrible hole i found in the rear drivers side

after a little poking around i ended up with this

so i got set on cutting the old stuff out and weldin the new stuff in:

not the neatest welding in the world but not bad for an amature?

and then what it looks like patched up from the inside. i do have a patch on the inside aswell but i forgot to take a pic of that lol.

got my nice new tool box today not that you;ll be too interested but also the next day i had a little present for my car

got this aswell and a new raceland enclosed induction kit

a couple of weeks later i got set on defaceing the front of my car and then swapping the engine over.

oops sorry dad :P

my mates workin hard helpin me get the engine out lol

Last edited by stickystuff; 01-12-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 17-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
stickystuff

User Gallery
then for fitting the new engine in the dark lol but suprisingly it went in easier than the old lol

the finished product eventually got it finished as some of you will notice that i fitted the fan to the front of the radiator instead of behind because the cage could foul on the manifold. but it works in the wrong way so i will eventually get a kit car one or sumthin:

the manifold gone a nice blue colour

Last edited by stickystuff; 17-05-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
beanhead
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
Would you consider a PX with a 2001 fiesta zetec s? Im very interested but quite far away, give me a call on 07791515741 if you like the idea!

Cheers, Joe
beanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
stickystuff

User Gallery
sorry im keeping it for now need a car for transport etc lol

any way as im keepin it for a bit thought i might aswell do an update on what ive done to it since the conversion :P

next on the list was some new brakes got them on here for a tasty sum with shot pads but the discs ok, the guy ended up takin ages to send them so i got a set of new pads thrown in for free

also i had some stainless steel braided hoses so i fitted them at the same time :P

a couple of days later :O disaster struck

big ploom of white smoke and pull into halfords car park with this staring at me under the bonnet

so i got set on changing a few things on the engine to try and get it sorted because it was just a fucked engine from the start

i got the head of ready for rebuild and i got the sump of to take the pistons out after finding the bores have a few small scratches
which i expected because of the blue smoke comin out of the back

got the head apart with all the valves in order ready to be lapped and put back in with new seals all cleaned up and sealed up

next was the sump of ready to take the pistons out

with the first piston out

and what fell of the piston

next i found the piston rings were for a 1360 engine and not a 1600 engine and that the cheap ones i bought didnt make them for the 1600 so genuine pug ones only which being in the trade i could get discount but they were a 'non discountable item' so i got 5 of the total lol which i spose is better than nothing lol

anyway with the pistons all out with nothing to put back together i got set on finishin rebuilding the head up

so whilst i was waitin for the new rings to be delivered i got myself a new 'kit car' radiator fan that actually works and tidied up the wiring on the engine loom

Last edited by stickystuff; 27-08-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 27-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
stickystuff

User Gallery

thats just a pic of it taken out i cleaned it all up and wrapped it in some new tape to make it look alot better

i got my self a new throttle cable cause the old one was a modified 8v one that didn't work too well lol but enough

and i also cleaned under the bonnet now that the engine wasn't gonna pop the dipstick out

well with the power of the new engine unfortunatly and with them going anyway i had to replace both drive shafts as they were clickin a treat . bought one new from my local motorfactors and picked up the other one on here for a short drive away and a few notes :P

unfortunatly the engines been leaking oil from behind the alternator quite badly recently so its all oily and horrible atleast it wont rust

at the same time i was trying to get my exhaust up quite high so it stops squeekin on the car lol
so i had a go at making a little cut out for it in the bumper that doesnt look rediculous but i think it does a little

next venture on the list was to spray the roof as in typical form all the laquer had faded and i didnt like the look of it
i used cheap halfords satin black which wasnt working but my mate got me a matt black by accident and it turned out better than it would of done but still needs a coat or two but i ran out of time
will do it again in due time :P

got myself under my new gazebo just incase the weather went up shit creek

as it stands this is it up to date but with a broken gearbox. so its currently sat out side the back of my work waitin to be either recovered home or ill fit a new gearbox there
while its there tho it gives me chance to make my new battery tray and weld it to the boot so i can relocate my battery :P

until next time folks

Last edited by stickystuff; 27-08-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
stickystuff

User Gallery
got the new gearbox on 2day all by my self lol with only a jack under the engine and some brute strength lol as of yet ive still gotta put the driveshafts back in and get it back on its wheels but otherwise not bad for a couple of hours on my own lol picks to follow
Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
bobdylan_55
106 RALLYE REGISTER FRUITCAKE

User Gallery
a real man always does his gearbox by himself. did mine in about 15 mins by myself, no jacks required. took about 4 hours to change clutch, new box on, and put back all shafts etc.
bobdylan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
DanS1
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
where did u get the fittings from for the brakelines?
DanS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
stickystuff

User Gallery
yer i only used a jack to hold the engine up to stop it possibly breaking the engine mountin lol
took me bout 2-3 hours but i didnt change the clutch i was messin bout swappin bits to the 'new' gear box lol

got a few pics of doin the gearbox but i dont have any of it out :S i think i forgot to take some lol and one of my custom mounted 8v coil pack that sits under the induction. it was a quick make that i bodged out of some old metal shelfs at work but it does the job and ill sort out a better one in due course

and i fitted an ecu cover that i thought i'd lost to make the engine bay look a little tidier

erm they came with a big brake kit i bought on ebay ages ago but luckily they fit the calipers when i went to fit them you can buy them on ebay all the time ive got them on the rear too i think the kits are bout 50-60 its a goodridge kit so its decent qaulity stainless braded and a plastic coating to keep them clean

any ways im starting to collect bits to build a new engine up for the little monster. so i got a delivery this mornin which my phone didn't for properly is ive got my self a jp4 big valve head complete with rocker covers etc all built up for 97 delivered which i thought was a bargain considering i got quotes of 300 odd from other breakers lol pics to follow ive removed the exhaust cam and buckets and gonna take all the other neccisary bits out to clean the faces up then stick them in the parts cleaner to degrease it all ready to be put backtogether with some gti cams, valve springs collets and buckets. cant afford uprated cams at this stage so we'll just see what happens with this one myb ill get some when i can afford it at a later date so im on the look out for a std gti block with all pistons etc and a sump if any one has one for sale but not too expensive lol

also does any one know if you have to machine the pistons to clear the bigger valves or not with a std gti cam shaft?

got some pics of the new head and ive taken it apart 2day ready for rebuild:

can barley see but it says tu5jp4

had to modify an old socket to get my collets and valve springs out as the vs compressor diddnt have the right adaptor to fit

theres a lot of carbon build up on here will have to clean up and lap the valves in

cleaned the bottom of the head up before cleaning it all up in the parts cleaner

a random pic of my work mates golf mk2 with its wheels hangin like a monster truck lol

Last edited by stickystuff; 12-09-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 14-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
stickystuff

User Gallery
well the cars up for sale now if any ones interested no p/x as ive already got a new car lined up will come with std front brakes but will come with the wheels .