home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > London & South East > South East Members Cars

Old 26-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
revox318
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Daryls Boosted Cherry GTI Project Thread

Hey guys & girls thought i would make up a little thread for my project that i have started now hope you guys enjoy having alook cheers,

Well i brought my 106 gti in october last year and ive been collecting some parts for about a year now before i had my 106 gti i had a white vts which had a remap exhaust induction kit and cams ect arounda about 150bhp but i kinda put it in a tree :O ooops, well i decided i would take the engine out of this and buy myself a stand and strip it down, unfortunatly the photos off stripping the engine was on my old phone which broke, but ill get some more next when i strip it down for C2 Head and headstuds etc, anyways hope you guys enjoy this car is about to get alot better now its off the road,

When i first got the car it was bassicaly standard just had an induction kit and thats about it dont have any photos of before but got some of stripping it down so here we go,

On Axle Stands With The Engine and Front End Stripped & Out.

Just a few pictures of the engine before fitting im thinking of removing the heatwrap as i didnt really wrap it to well.

Few pics of the fitting the engines in and finnally running.

Got it all running now at about 8 - 10 Psi but had it for the weekend and now taken it off the road so i can sort out a proper front end set up like bigger radiator & smaller intercooler then gotta speak to colin at ATspeed racing and sort my car out with a proper standalone ecu and a good mapping cant wait =] Going to pick up my 306GTI-6 brakes on the weekend aswell get them fitted and get it back on the road got my missus Fiesta 1.25 to run around in till i get it back on road hope you guys enjoyed reading ill update soon,

daryl,
revox318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Aleksandr
SOUTH EAST GROUP LEADER #2

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice work dude, you'll need to bring it down to the next Ace Cafe meet when it's done.

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...
Aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
revox318

User Gallery
Cheers mate ye I will just gta fit new head next week and pay for my kms and then mapping it'll be on road by end of next month with new coilies breaks rollcage and buckets and 300+bhp I'm hopping if all goes to plan
Old 26-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice, 300bhp eh? Need to up my game!

Old 27-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
revox318

User Gallery
Yep that's what I'm looking at by end of nxt
month then asson as I've gone through 100 knickers screaming like a girl lol gna put the boost up and go for another mapping bassically wanna be able to push the limits to 450-500bhp by end of this year
Old 27-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Christ, that's not going to be cheap!

Old 27-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
revox318

User Gallery
Na I know lol already spend 7k spending another 1000 this month and have fun then anothe 3000k for the 450bhp mark worth all the money though lol so much fun
Old 28-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
dannygti
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
what turbo are you using? what exhaust manifold?
dannygti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
revox318

User Gallery
turbo is a GT28 and exhaust manifold was made by a guy pretty much the same as the dp engineering one same shape and equal length brances,
Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
revox318

User Gallery
Finally She Lives Again =] Little update

Right over the last week i been doing these main jobs,

1) rewiring all the burnt wires from the alternator,
2) plumbing in my adjustable boost valve & boost guage,
3) Fitted bonnet pins,
4) Cut and remade a lower cross member with mounting brackets to fit rad and intercooler forward more and a touch higher,

and now happy that i got it going again runs nice and sweet cant wait to get the insurance payed

ill upload some photos later when i can finally get my iphone to upload them lol cheers,
Old 05-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Saxosteve

User Gallery
450-500hp?

I hope you have fitted forged rods and pistons.

Standard head wont flow that either.. and you will have to rev it more to get enough volume of air to flow through the engine to get that power. As the size of turbo you will need for that power won't spool till very late on a 1600cc engine.

Good luck to you though.

Also the standard Evo intercooler you currently have will not support 500hp either.

You going to need to spend around triple what you currently have to get the power you say you want. Be warned
Saxosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
revox318

User Gallery
I'm fitting the stroker kit end of this year to push it up to pretty much a 1800cc also I have to fit a c2 head ported polished gas flowed to put on with the head studs kit and ye the intercooler will be replaced with a more updated one when i go for that power and the turbo that I'm looking at that colin uses on his gti turbo is a gt3071r and it spools up at 3500rpm which isn't to bad And yeh I know to get that much power wont be cheap but I'm willing to put the money in over the next year as it's a big hobbie for me but thank you for your input mate,
Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Saxosteve

User Gallery
You will really be needing larger exhaust valves in your C2 head to get it to flow enough air really, its one thing getting it all crammed into the cylinder.. its another getting it all out efficiently

A GT3071r, I think you will be lucky to get to your lower figure of 450, it will certainly be a push. Anythings possible though.

Don't forget cams will be needed suited to this spec.

I wouldn't say the head stud kit is really necessary, I'm running almost 1.5bar and havent had any leakage problems so far.

You have good plans though, good luck to you.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
revox318

User Gallery
ye i been looking at turbos recently for an upgrate with the omex ecu and i seen that the GT35 series can push upto 600? maybe a choice like deans with a 3 inch exhaust turbo back ? and wow i though i better put the head stud kit on whilst im doing pistons and rods anyways as better to be safe than sorry and thanks mate
Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Saxosteve

User Gallery
I dare you to fit a GT35R

Will be a very short powerband on boost, will need alot of things thought about before you can use a turbo of that size
Old 14-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
revox318

User Gallery
haha yeh i will have to think about my next turbo but we will see
Old 24-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
revox318

User Gallery
Bit of an update

Bought my C2 cylinder head it's away ATM getting Ported polished & gas flowed

also got a set of 7 inch wide wheels used in auto grass so was a bit stuffed but got them refurbed and sprayed in BMW sapphire black

lowered 60mm on spax springs and dampers just need to do the rear now so this is how she sits ATM

new wheels go on when I get my Yokohama parada spec 2s delivered 30 a tyre ? Not bad.

saving now for omex 600, race dash2, also rollcage and bucket seats more update soon
Old 17-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
revox318

User Gallery
Bit of an update

Arp cylinder headstuds turned up about a month ago have removed head and now i'n progress of fitting c2 head I have already drilled and tapped new holes just need to swap over springs ect,

But even better had a couple of parcels turn up today with a few goodies

Here we go....

My omex 600 ecu and loom turned up

Also I bought a cobra snap on edition seat and cobra subframe for 338 exc vat rom my local snap on
dealer very happy nice and comfy whilst also being supportive.

Right this is hw car stands now

Thanks for reading.
Old 22-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
revox318

User Gallery
Bit of an Update.

Bought some canards and fitted them,

Gave the car a clean after a very long time gathering dust lol,

Side Exit Finished

Old 22-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
revox318

User Gallery
Big Update !!!!

New Sprayed & Morrettes Fitted

Brembos Fitted with 5mm Spacers & New Yokohama Tyres

Fitted a 3BAR Map sensor instead of the 2.5BAR

OMP Steering Wheel Snap Off Boss

Quick Wash Time For Her

Recently Had alot of problems getting it mapped but all problems seem to be done now so we will see how we get on this time, picked up cage the other weekend & will be fitted after its back from euro spec, see how she gets on.
Old 22-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #21
revox318

User Gallery
Also a few new parts that have turned up for the new spec hmm me likey

38mm Wastegate 21.5 PSI Spring Inlcuded

GT35 Turbo

Also picked up my omp cage the other week no photos as i still need to get it sprayed,
also have the rear coilovers for the suspension build

Picking up the 306 gti6 bottom end tommorow, and also have bought a 306 gti6 cylinder head that has had the inlet & exhaust ports machined & modify valve throats and seats

and also have purchased a mi16 4x4 drivetrain, which some parts will be used some wont will be looking for a dog engagement gearset possibly depending how well the gearbox takes it looool.

Watch this space
Old 22-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
dannygti

User Gallery
A gt35 turbo?? Why have you
Chose a turbo that will make you slower everywhere but 1mile drag races?

There are soo many more better options..
When are you expecting to have all this lot up and running?
Old 22-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
revox318

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
A gt35 turbo?? Why have you
Chose a turbo that will make you slower everywhere but 1mile drag races?

There are soo many more better options..
When are you expecting to have all this lot up and running?

the gt35 is not going on the 1600cc engine its going onto the 2.0 gti 6 engine that is getting put into another 106 shell which will also be using a 4wd running gear which will be a good setup for track racing which the car is only purpose is for, not set a date for it to be done probably end of this year of the start of next doesnt really worry me it gets done when it gets done kinda thing i have the cherry red turbo to play around on track whilst im building the other 106.
Old 22-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #24
dannygti

User Gallery
What's the power target then? I still think you will be much better off with a smaller
Turbo even gt3076r or something unless
Your
Wanting over 600hp? In that case that 4wd system has no chance. Seriously if
You were going to all this effort
It would be much easier and more
Reliable to use evo engine and running gear or VAG and haldex..

How did. Your red gti do at atspeed then mate??
Old 22-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #25
revox318

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
What's the power target then? I still think you will be much better off with a smaller
Turbo even gt3076r or something unless
Your
Wanting over 600hp? In that case that 4wd system has no chance. Seriously if
You were going to all this effort
It would be much easier and more
Reliable to use evo engine and running gear or VAG and haldex..

How did. Your red gti do at atspeed then mate??
Targets about 400-500 whp but im not to worried about the powers more about how it goes round a track, you may be right with the evo engine + running gear just wanted to be abit different after seeing pug1offs 205 gti6 500 bhp on track it was still keeping and going past most cars and it was most of the time wheel spinning so thats just another reason for the 4x4 drivetrain but when its running ill have to see how the drivetrain holds up if it doesnt i have a choice of either a dogbox gear set or using another gearbox of something else either way we will see lol,

car didnt get on so well at atspeed had a few problems and had to collect it and fixed all the problems now its round at Euro Spec 2000 just round the corner from my work its booked in to be mapped on the 25th so hopefully all goes to plan and it will be done by end of next week mate.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #26
revox318

User Gallery
Bit of an Update

Had some major problems with the car got it all ready and took it to eurospec to put the base map on to start it up and check it over ect ect, and asoon as it started the smoke started to build up so i took it back started stripping it down, oil was coming out of the turbo oil seal on the exhaust side, and just pouring out the exhaust so after diagnosing why the turbo failed it appears that when the car went to atspeed the oil feed line that they supplied & fitted didnt have an oil restrictor in the line therefore the oil pressure being to high for the seals and now im left with a f*kd turbo and a waste of time so ordered a brand new turbo that is the gt3071r exhaust side and the compressor side is a gt3076r, i was advised on this turbo for the power that will be best for the setup of more power than the original with lower boost levels whilst being able to control the spool up of the turbo, so just waiting on a few parts and can get it started up and take it back to get the rest of the mapping done,

Car all stripped down again,

Rollcage Fitted in now and carpet fully removed

Decided just to keep one seat just to keep the weight down

Test Fitting the new turbo,

Started to strip down the new project needs to be a rolling shell only had a couple of hours on the weekend but got a fair bit of it out,

more up dates on this over the weekend,

Last edited by revox318; 11-08-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: miss wrote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #27
Saxosteve

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by revox318 View Post
... so ordered a brand new turbo that is the gt3076r exhaust side and the compressor side is a gt3076..

That'd be a gt3076 then?? lol

Im guessing what you ment to say it you have gone for a gt2876r... which uses the large 76mm diameter compressor wheel with the smaller turbine wheel.

You will still be surprised at how laggy it is.. small exhaust housing doesnt necessarily equate to fast spool. yea the turbo will spin up quick, but the compressor turbine will be quite large and not 'grabbing hold of the air' as such until it really gets going.

by then it may be too late and you've run out of revs.

These 'mix and match' turbos may sound like you can have the best of both worlds, but in reality it must be a well balanced match with turbo components and the actual engine.

A good way to see if a turbo is too big, as such for an engine. Is that if the power is still climbing at the limiter. but not producing the power numbers you hoped for..

You really don't want shit loads of lag either as its much like premature ejaculation.. all the build up.. but with a short lived finally!

The projects progressing well though, much tidier now too! Good stuff.

Do you regret taking the car to atspeed now by the way chap? bit of a school boy error with the oil feed..
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #28
revox318

User Gallery
oops sorry miss wrote lol i mean it has the gt3071 exhaust side and the gt3076 compressor, its the same turbo setup that they use on a 1600cc - 1800cc honda engines but well see very soon its only used on a track so aslong as it has good boost levels at mid range even if it needs a double clutch to get it spooling quicker but well see,

thanks very much, yeh i have regreted it big time so has my wallet bills of over 4000 just from them for loads of work and the car doesnt even come back near finished and was told it run and when i got it home and unloaded of the truck it wouldnt even fire up so very disapointed now ive had to spend more money on turbos ect but there we go not much that can be done now,
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #29
Saxosteve

User Gallery
Its going to be 5500rpm - 6krpm before you get any decent amounts of boost Daryl I can tell you now.

You also have to remember.. the honda boys are revving much more, usually to 9krpm.. so are flowing a larger volume of air.. which aids the spooling and available power band.

Please don't take me as being awkward, I just dont like to see people with good intentions wasteing money. I've been there

Christ! 4000? I;d like to hope they spent alot of hours on it, I hope they gave you a good breakdown of the bill.
Can buy alot of fancy bits with 4k, is it a Garrett turbo you are going to use or a cheaper alternative?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #30
Lewis

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by revox318 View Post
thanks very much, yeh i have regreted it big time so has my wallet bills of over 4000 just from them for loads of work and the car doesnt even come back near finished and was told it run and when i got it home and unloaded of the truck it wouldnt even fire up so very disapointed now ive had to spend more money on turbos ect but there we go not much that can be done now,

What's this, more negativity about AT speed? Are they not that good then? I have heard some bad things about them alright, but other people seem to love them so it's hard to know

Last edited by Lewis; 12-08-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #31
Dan!

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
What's this, more negativity about AT speed? Are they not that good then? I have heard some bad things about them alright, but other people seem to love them so it's hard to know
the only people that love them are the people who get sucked into their bullshit from what i've seen.
Dan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #32
Lewis

User Gallery
Ah I see. I am always weary of course, but you can't deny that they have produced some decent results on some of the cars worked on. I personally wouldn't use them though as I am not 100% sure I could trust them!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #33
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
I'm not one to jump on the band wagon but that's the 3rd or 4th blown turbo i've heard mentioned in the same sentence as Atspeed.

Looks like a great build dude and i'm sure it will be an animal once finished.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #34
revox318

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
I'm not one to jump on the band wagon but that's the 3rd or 4th blown turbo i've heard mentioned in the same sentence as Atspeed.

Looks like a great build dude and i'm sure it will be an animal once finished.
Thanks very much,

Yes it is a Garret turbo not the cheap copy m8

They gave me a broken down sheet which I looked at today and done a full look over the car to see if they have done what they have actually charged me for just to make sure and it seems they have charged me for a alternator tensioner bolt alternator belt Cv boot kit which the cv boot kit is greasy and the car hasn't been driven since the car has been there I put a new alternator belt on when I put the engine in, and I supplied them with the alternator + mounts + all bolts so there about 60 gain maybe even more but that will teach me for not looking at the breakdown of what was done but I just didn't really expect that,

The turbo does have lightened & balanced internals will be intresting to see but if it's not as responsive as I want it to be I might go anti lag route but we will see has same figments as some other turbos so could also down grade a size if need be but it's great to get some helpful feed back
Old 12-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #35
Saxosteve

User Gallery
The turbo internals are balanced anyway...

Perhaps Atspeed is best as a parts supplier only. I won't comment as have had no personal experience of their work.
Old 13-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #36
Lewis

User Gallery
I guess if they build the whole engine it'd probably be cool as their other builds have seemed decent enough. I don't know enough about them to pass comment though other than from what i've seen on their project threads.

Good luck with the build dude it will surely take a lot of time and patience but you'll get there eventually.