home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South West > South West Members Cars

Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #301
Cyb3r
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
Make any noise yet?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #302
thorney_1988
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Nah im waiting on a pq2 lever from jenvey and ive taken all my fuel lines and battery out ready for welding this weekend!!

Did a nut and bolt check yesterday, thankfully didnt leave anything loose

[FONT="Arial"][B][SIZE="3"]streamline carbon: [FONT="Arial"][B][SIZE="2"]high quality carbon fibre call- 07715055580.[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
thorney_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #303
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Well..............................

No update for a while as ive been busy with the car sorting it ready for mapping i just haven't had time tbh

Anyway, last week consisted of removing one of my throttlebodies to put my new pq2 lever on (sandy's reccomendation) as it's a million times better than the linkage jenvey supply. Didnt get any pictures of that but will in the week.
Then i had to remove my fuel tank ready for welding my cage mounts and rails in, ive done this soooo many times now on different car's it took me all of 10 minutes and didnt drop an ounce of fuel, so was well pleased with that.

Most of the last few weeks has been spent prepping for welding really so my mate could just come round and weld and not have to worry about fiddling around lining up mounts and seat rails, but like always it didnt go intially to plan........................
First of all his welder starting playing up which was sorted with a quick trip to the motor factors for some new tips, then we had to re-arrange the seat rails as they weren't exactly level but once that was sorted it was plain sailing from there.

Few pictures of the welding

This was halfway through btw, dont worry

I did the bars connecting to the exhaust tunnel without spreader plates, as lewis pointed out to me the other month that on side impact it will help punch through the tunnel and move the driver further from the door theoretically

Also just a few general shots of the car

Engine bay finished

Shot from outside

Just a quick list of things left to do...................

Order and fit torsion bars
Order and get fitted tyres
Fit AST rear dampers
Re-fit fuel tank
Re-fit fuel lines inside car
Fine bleed the brakes
Reconnect the battery
Mot
Tax

And finally start her up and check all is well, fingers crossed

Mapping had had to be put back a week as sandy has had to rectify a problem with one of the race engines, which i was fine with as it gives me a little more time to perfect things a little more so im 100% happy, but i doubt i will ever be that........................

[FONT="Arial"][B][SIZE="3"]streamline carbon: [FONT="Arial"][B][SIZE="2"]high quality carbon fibre call- 07715055580.[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Last edited by thorney_1988; 11-04-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #304
scottmmw

User Gallery
Coming on now! Ive just insured mine today and will tax tomorrow once the dvla database updates, hopefully got a trackday booked for friday! Im just waiting for my new braided lines and connections to come though so i can get them fitted and then all the regulation work is done! Have you used bulkhead connections to bring the lines through the bulkhead?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #305
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Dan, I don't subscribe to Lewis' theory. IMO you should have used the spreader plates.
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #306
dunc
Mike's Mechanic

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorallye View Post
Dan, I don't subscribe to Lewis' theory. IMO you should have used the spreader plates.
+1

been there, done that... got trailered home!
dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #307
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Not just lewis that advised this dude, a certain bald fella' had it done to his by harry hockley's, this is what got me thinking on the idea

It can always be changed if it doesnt work out, but i spoke to custom cages when enquiring about rails and they said it what they advice aswell

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #308
Aleksandr
SOUTH EAST GROUP LEADER #2

User Gallery Car Blog
Hurry up and paint that slam panel!

How do you door bars fit with the new seats? I want mine lower but the seats are pushed up against the bars and already slightly over the tunnel.

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...
Aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #309
scottmmw

User Gallery
ive not got spreader plates on mine, the guy who does my fab work had basically the same theory in which if you took that much of impact anyway the chances of getting out are little.

alexander, ive got the same seat as dan and cage and with my seat fitted it touches the door bar but only slightly, i might have some pics in my thread for you to see if you need anymore than these.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #310
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Neither of you will pass scrutineering then and I can't believe Custom Cages told you that it would be ok.
The scrutineering issue is obviously more important to Scott than you Dan.

- Seat Supercopa
Old 11-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #311
scottmmw

User Gallery
I didnt think it was wrote into the regulations that you need spreader plates for the rail.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #312
Saxosteve

User Gallery
Spreader plates on the tunnel is the best bet.. it really is quite thin metal. 90kilos of weight being supported by them with load direction changing constantly is a fair amount of stress.

..but Bic done it so it must be fine! damn im stupid.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #313
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Pete- will get some if Scott can't dude, but at the moment I can't tell you due to not putting them in yet.

Steve- if you actually read it properly you will realise that bic didn't actually do it hockley did so your theory at the bottom ain't technically true hey

but then who am I

Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #314
Saxosteve

User Gallery
Its like lighting the fuse with you boys.

Last edited by Saxosteve; 11-04-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: cba
Saxosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #315
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Section K in the Blue Book Scott.

- Seat Supercopa
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #316
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxosteve View Post
Its like lighting the fuse with you boys.
Fucking naysayer

might aswell just close this thread really, or second thoughts i wont update it on here anymore as some ^^^^ dont ever have anything but negativity towards evryhting i do!!

some give useful advice and let me know what they know, but there is always some that cant help but be negative.

Steve get a blog up on here, would love to see the car as it stands ........................................ .................

afterall its all useful criticism hey

Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #317
scottmmw

User Gallery
Yeah i can see that mike, section K 2.2.1, 2.2.2, 2.2.3 and 2.3. From reading those sections i cannot make out that the rails needed to be welded in with a spreader plate and ive also asked the question on uphillracers and they say its not wrote in either.

Like you say dan, there does seem some negativity on this forum, i think quite a few people are getting alittle tired on here.

Steve - man up and get a thread up!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #318
Lewis

User Gallery
Guys, my point to Dan was that he should research the concept of not using spreader plates along the tunnel for the reasons mentioned previously. At no point did i state ''DO NOT USE SPREADER PLATES''. I'd never recommend something to compromise the safety of a fellow fourm member, or a mate as Dan is. He obviously has done the research, and decided not to use them. MY Rallye has them, but then they were fitted when I bought the car.

As you can see custom cages have not used them when fettling Bic's seating position. Hockleys have observed the work also, and i'm sure you'll agree that these guys are probably the most informed individuals when it comes to safety and cage/seat rail fitment. It's not a case of ''Bic has done it so it's right'', but Bic chooses the best people to carry out work on his car, and it's always to a top standard, therefore others can make informed decisions based on Bic's choices. I am sure you can see that point.

Dan, if in doubt, you could knock some plates with the centres removed, then weld those on around the bar, therefore the surrounding area will be supported, the skin strengthened, then in the event of a side impact the weld will fail, yet still allowing the rail to pass through the centre of the spreader plate (you may have to remove it to do so).
Old 12-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #319
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Well put.
I didn't mean to be negative Dan, I just wanted to point out a potential problem.

- Seat Supercopa
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #320
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Cheers lewis mate. Id did the research like you said dude, but like you said i can always add plates round the outer edges if needs be in the future.

Mike- wasn't aimed at you dude, your just being helpful not a fucking know it all and constantly being negative about 90% of things on this forum

Old 14-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #321
Lewis

User Gallery
Mike always offers constructive advice, but you can expect cutting remarks off the other odd douche on here

Yes see you get on. Also speak to Stu as he is a black belt in metal work!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #322
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Well bit of an update i suppose...................

Car went away for mapping last tuesday with sandy and was due to be complete the following day, how wrong could i have been

Speaking to sandy on wednesday i was informed things were taking longer than expected, firstly the alternator wasn't holding charge so the car was living off of the battery, which caused all sorts of headaches and annoyingly turned out to be an amaturish error on my behalf (we wont go into that )

After that was sorted we had already reached saturday, due to sandy's busy schedule limited time was available to fully work on the car which i completely understand.

So yesterday was the day it was being fully mapped, so to be expected i was very excited, then i had a phone cal from sandy, a bung i fitted for the bottom of the j4 block had decided to make an escape for freedom allowing oil to spray out all over the engine bay, pissed of is an absolute understatment.

Due to this further issue sandy had to call it a day on the work he has done so far for him to be able to get other work that is booked in complete, which tbh is completely understandable as im not the only customer for him to do work for.
He managed to map the car upto 4k but the map above this hasnt been sorted and ironed out yet, but will be done when sandy has more time.
He had to write a whole new base map for the car as a certain engine builder locks his ecu's which is totally understandable but then retires and decides not to give his passwords out resulting in angry customers and mappers hey sandy!!!!!!!

Due to this i wont be making the FCS but will be booking a track day the minute i know the car is 100% ready

Anyway all will be resolved in the end im sure, sandy will do a great jo when he has more time to finish it just like im sure he has done so far......thanks alot mate

On a brighter note picked up my track wheels with some nce rubber on them, wil put some pictures up of them in a bit

cheers guys!!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #323
Lewis

User Gallery
Sorry to hear about th teething probs mate - you'll get it sorted don't fret! That's your dodgy workmanship there!

Hmmm so Longman clearly doesn't give out the passwords - it's kind of annoying that they close but won't offer any 'apres sales' care so to speak..... I imagine i'll have the same thing when it's time to map my car, fuck sake!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #324
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Will get there in the end bro like you say...........

I may be able to help when it comes to your mapping as I managed to get hold of one password but it doesn't work on mine but might on yours,

You need to stop buying/looking at impact guns and get that exhaust dude

Old 25-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #325
Saxosteve

User Gallery
Only just read some of the comments on this blog :P

You fucking wankers
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #326
Lewis

User Gallery
She's gone now

Last edited by Lewis; 13-08-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #327
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Randomly browsing the Custom Cages website today (as you do) and I thought of this thread.

Seems they only use one spreader plate on each rail.

Old 31-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #328
thorney_1988

User Gallery
obviously dont have a clue do i

Old 31-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #329
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Did that engine build debacle ever get a satisfactory resolution or is it still ongoing?

Missing 106 ownership yet?
Old 31-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #330
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorney_1988 View Post
obviously dont have a clue do i
LOL! Glad someone noticed

Old 20-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #331
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Engine shizzle got resolved in the end, but left me seriously out of pocket.

lesson learned i suppose

Oh and nah dont miss the 106 one bit

Old 20-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #332
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Glad to hear it was sorted, sorry to hear you ended up out of pocket
Old 31-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #333
Matt.S2
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Sorry to bump an old/finished thread, but just wanted to let OP know, I now own the shell

I shall be taking it back down the track route, keeping it in as good condition as it always has been.

Great work you've done Thorney!!
Matt.S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #334
Lewis

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
Randomly browsing the Custom Cages website today (as you do) and I thought of this thread.

Seems they only use one spreader plate on each rail.

I told you! (well, I told the others should i say!)
Old 31-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #335
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
No one is disputing what CC or HH have said.

But make of this what you will:
(MSA Blue Book, Section K)

I couldn't be arsed typing it!

- Seat Supercopa
Old 31-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #336
shenparbitch
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & ThunderCnut

User Gallery
i was asked to weld in some seat rails the other month for a car being prepared for racing and the "kits" that he got had a spreader plate on both ends..
shenparbitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #337
Lewis

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenparbitch View Post
i was asked to weld in some seat rails the other month for a car being prepared for racing and the "kits" that he got had a spreader plate on both ends..
Pipe down you, I am correct and everyone else is 100% wrong!
Old 31-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #338
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Yeah, don't you go bringing facts to the internets!

Old 31-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #339
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Further quote from the Blue Book:

Quote:
All the above safety regulations should be read in conjunction with Lewis' thoughts and musings which are posted on the t'interweb.
It doesn't matter that his car will never ever be finished. He's got a bald mate and what he does, Lewis does and therefore it's right.

- Seat Supercopa
Old 31-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #340
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
See, I knew we could settle this amicably.

Old 31-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #341
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorallye View Post
Further quote from the Blue Book:
I'm sure I've seen that in the book. Never knew what it meant until now.

Partner at Trackspec - Performance parts for enthusiasts
info@trackspec.co.uk
www.trackspec.co.uk
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #342
Craig P

User Gallery
Just seen this Thread, Looking really nice mate.

Cant wait to see some more update's, Keep up the good work.

I take It all your Wiring (Fuse's/Relay's Etc) Are all Inside the car..?Would did the Engine Loom/Where's It from..?
Craig P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #343
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
He broke the car a long while ago mate, was a real shame. I believe Beaniemoo has the engine from it in his new build.

Partner at Trackspec - Performance parts for enthusiasts
info@trackspec.co.uk
www.trackspec.co.uk
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #344
Craig P

User Gallery
Ah shit, Only just relised the date on the last post's

What a fool, It had massive potential!!
Craig P is offline   Reply With Quote