home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South West > South West Members Cars

Old 30-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
bluebouy
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Bluebouys S2 indigo rallye

Hi all After two months of rallye ownership which I bought from here after much floating about looking for one after being lost in a world of German V8 saloons for a few years (cheap insurance led me away from lightweight cars) I thought it probably best to put myself here instead of cluttering up the rest of the forum!

My names Tim, Bluebouy because all my vehicles at the moment are blue, The rallye is blue, The Alpina is blue and my boat is blue, Its not intentional, just is.
R803 XMJ is my car which I’m sure must have been around on this forum at some point over the years, I’ve done some searches and found nothing, So any info would be nice to hear.

My plans are to keep the car very very clean and improve the performance a “bit” over the next year or so whilst looking forward to some track days later in the summer (the car is primarily a road car though)

Spec as far as I know

ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN
1.6 8v (dizzy)
R6 carbs Bogg Bro’s mani
Newman’s PH2 cam, piper verniers etc
Raceland 421
Pugsport 2” no cat
All built allegedly 16k ago
Running a s1 rallye gearbox, BM Baker mounts new clutch recently (bloody love this box!!)

CHASSIS
Eibach springs
Newish standard shocks front
Rebuilt rear beam with 24mm arb lowered to suit
Bilstein shocks on rear
Front brakes, 266mm conversion
Rear brakes, standard

SHELL/BODYWORK/INTERIOR
Shell on 150k
Its had fresh paint at some point (7.5/10)
Towing eyes painted red
Streamline carbon mirrors and base plates (I’ve put these on, my one concession to “styling”)
Had a bit of welding at some point not the neatest but substantial
Interior standard s2 rallye with additions of an OMP wheel and an oil pressure gauge.

Went on the rollers two weeks ago and ran 131.7BHP and 115.8 lb/ft Just to see, As I was feeling after settling in to the car for a few miles that I could do with a bit more oomph soon and wanted to make plans for it. Having some “issues” now though!
Pic pics pics

bluebouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Davey G
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
did you buy this from jack?
Davey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
bluebouy

User Gallery
Yes thats right bought from Jack williams a couple of months ago, He ran it on an N Reg plate.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Davey G
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
ah yeah, looks god, where abouts in devon are you?
Davey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice car mate, looks very clean. Welcome to the forum!
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
scottmmw

User Gallery
car looks very well mate, get it to sandy for some tuning - shame not to when your so close!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
bluebouy

User Gallery
Davey, I'm just outside sidmouth, seems theres fair few rallyes in the SW (must be something to do with our roads)

Scott, I did/have/am/was planning to talk to sandy about a motor later in the year and PMed him a couple of days ago
Because the car is currently at Tipton Garage with what i suspect is a shot ring, steves going to diagnose and get back to me, So sandy if your reading this (doubtful) I could really do with you answering my PM (please) !
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
bluebouy

User Gallery
Well lots has been happening, or not depending on which way you look at it!

blew the headgasket between 3 and 4

when the heads off we find that theres some damage on 4 of the cam lobes caused by damage rocker pads only on the exhaust side though

so the heads sent off to SRD in launceston for a reworking and a new cam (newman PH2) as well as inlet valves guides and anything else nessacery to make it tip top etc etc and then returned looking a damn sight better

currently waiting on new followers etc etc from peugeot after they sent the wrong ones last week, to basically complete what has now become a top end rebuild, hope fully back on the road by the end of the week!
Old 20-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
bluebouy

User Gallery
Finally I Have the time to write a long over due update! works eased up a bit so I can relay the saga!

The cars Been back on the road for the last few weeks after what turned into an epic drama of many cams!
All was going well, The head came back from SRD looking good, All fitted up with a new Newman’s PH2 Cam as the old one was pitted.
A short wait for new followers to come from Peugeot after sending the wrong ones and then put it back together (how hard could it be right?)

So the head goes back on and attempting to time it up begins - only it couldn’t be timed correctly, so after much head scratching a calls was placed to Newman’s and SRD to clarify, Measurements were discussed, The cam was removed sent back to Newman’s and the “correct” cam sent out, So the process begins again of fitting the new “correct” camshaft, Head torqued on the fucking lot - and guess what?!? WRONG AGAIN!!! Got a call from Steve at his wits end after spending way too long timing it up confused thinking he might’ve been being thick (very unlikely) or specified the wrong cam to Newman’s or something.

So another call to Newman’s the head off again and cam out etc etc, By this time Ken the technical director is on holiday and we decide to do nothing further until he returns.
On Kens return the incorrect cam was sent back along with the old pitted cam, and finally things started moving along! Ken measured up the old cam and ground a direct copy himself and sent it back This time it was fitted to the head and timed/measured head off to check it was right before being put back on, SUCCESS!!!

No one knows what happened at Newman’s end, some sort of screw up somewhere along the line, Their engraving machine was broken so none of the cams that came in the correct boxes with correct serial numbers printed on them came with any engraving on the end of the actual cam, during this debacle I built up an image of a pile of boxes in one corner and a pile of cams in the other and some one just putting cams in whatever boxes were to hand!

The long and the short of it is my car was off the road for 9wks!! Whilst Newman’s faffed about Back on the road! With new parts! (all new OE Peugeot)

Worked cylinder head
Newman’s PH2 cam
Head bolts (loads of em!)
Head gasket (2)
Rocker, Manifold gaskets etc
New steering rack boot (whilst we had access)
8 New Rockers, studs etc etc etc (cheap lol)
New Nissens Radiator (old one didn’t have long left)

All done up nice and tight with new fluids etc etc

When it came to setting the car up I had a day booked at combe only 7 days away so it was set up for track use (toppy) and developed 141.8 bhp before a misfire at 6.5k ruined it (believed to be dizzy or coil related)
Going to sort these out then back for more setting up for road use, Carbs may need re jetting to get the torque curve I’m after for road use but I am expecting good results.

Car never made it to the track this year, Time ran out, I didn’t have time to sort dizzy etc and get the cage in before the date came (see below soon) so I borrowed a mates track car and took that instead.

Its covered a very hard 1k since its return and is going very well making all the right growling popping noises and is using an obscene amount of Vpower as it should!

Last edited by bluebouy; 28-06-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typed rubbish!
Old 28-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
bluebouy

User Gallery
See below soon LOL

Damn its been a long time!!

I've been more than a bit slack in keeping this updated and seem to adopted a lurking status – Being here almost daily but never logging in or contributing much or anything at all to what is a great forum, I have resolved to make more of an effort, Starting here.

I’m not much of a blogger or a photographer but I do take a few (not many) pictures with my rather crappy work phone - Which aint that smart, Much like the user.

Anyway back to oct 2011...

The “misfire” Got a bit worse - But only when under load, Static up and down the revs it was fine and seemed smooth, And after fully looking into the ignition side I turned towards fuelling.
There seemed no problem with fuel delivery from the pump to the carbs but the fuel pump was particular lily noisy so I swapped it for an known good one and still the same results, Then more head scratching and I decided to take the carbs off and discovered the problem.

This PTFE gasket is crap, As you can see!, so easily sorted a new gasket, And put back together Only to find chronic air leaks from the inlet manifold - So off with it again and took a closer look at the manifold, Turns out the ptfe gasket was crap but thick, Which covered up the fact that the inlet manifold face was ever so slightly bent.

During the disassembly of the carbs and manifold I discovered that the hose clips used on the silicon pipe to connect the carbs and manifold (bogg bros) had been over tightened causing the pipe to split internally leaving a little flap of silicon just waiting to break free and get ingested.

It was at this point I decided the manifold was a piece of crap and find another option.
Tricky as nobody interested in carbs these days and the bogg bros manifold was the most popular option.

A phone call to spoox sorted a new/secondhand manifold (see pic in next post) This had a much better cast base but still uses the less than desirable hose and clips setup, unfoutunatly the extra lengh means that my filter wouldn't fit back on so am currently running no filtration - still at least no finger nail sized peices of silicon are gonna get in.

Car went back on the rollers and made 146.7bhp - not bad. Theres deffo more to get but ideally the carbs need rejetting.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
matty_d

User Gallery
Just spotted this blog. Good little read!

Sounds like you've got a sweet little 8v there. Have you had the ECU remapped at all?...
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
bluebouy

User Gallery
Cheers matt - more to come when I find the time to write some more, No ecu, ignition is controlled by a dizzy which when combined with carbs (all a bit old skool) is the limiting factor at the moment.
Old 15-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
bluebouy

User Gallery
Still 2011... Late summer/Autumn

When bought the car I was told that the front suspension was standard shocks and eibach springs with Billy group N on the rear with a 24mm ARB

There is no escaping that the front is soft, Leading to some interesting handling characteristics when pushed, The rear being lovely and planted whilst the front just under steered.

The car is (to me) a track car but realistically it will only see the track maybe 2/3 times a year due to work commitments and other things going on (toys) Most people have a drink or something after work to unwind where as I like to go for a drive so I needed to be honest with myself and try to get a nice road setup that suited the crappy surfaces found on the lanes that are on my “route” as opposed to a full on hard track setup
After a lot of umming and awing over which setup to go for and much searching on here I opted for the Bilstein B8 with the Faulkner 155lb springs for the front

When I removed the old shocks and springs both shocks were marked Koni?? (one leaking) and I couldn’t find any markings on the springs.
I Also replaced both top mount bearings for new pug items - top mounts seem to be fairly recent.

At this time I had arranged to buy a “mint” OMP 4 point cage off a moaners member in Wales, I chose this cage specifically because it would fit around the rear seats and door cards in the car as I was undecided on going for a full strip due to the mostly road going nature of the car.
Of course as with most transactions with a moaners member it did not go to plan… After driving for 4hrs to Wales to pick up the cage (had to take my pick up as there’s no way it would fit in the jag)
I arrived at the guys house on time to find the fucker still in bed and the “mint” cage still bolted into his car FFS

The cage wasn’t “mint” It was badly painted - flaking and rusty in some places with bent up mounting plates.

So when back home it was of for blasting and powder coating (matt black) whilst I got hold of some fresh OMP stickers for it

Fresh powdercoat!!