home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South West > South West Members Cars

Old 14-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
c_robinson
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
205 cup car...ish! rebuild blog

thought I had better start a progress page as I've had alot of facebook friends telling me to do so as I've dedicated the next 6 months to completely rebuilding my 205 rally car which has a bit of a history!

It all started in 2004 when my brother (who might post on this username occasionally) was attempting to make a career from rallying and came 2nd in a scholarship to find the next 'star' of uk rallying. In mid 2004 the car was built and finished by Christmas 2004. It was build for Ed to do the 205 challenge. He had a good year but 2 results not quite going his way cost the championship and he ended up 3rd after missing the final round. That was the end of the career hunting stage of his rallying and he went out to do 'for fun' events.

2007 saw Ed compete on our local single venue at Down Ampney, Cirencester. He clipped a bale at arouund 60mph on the wing mirror which came in and his his 1st time navigator Dan in the face! 20 odd stitches and lots of blood later and the car was dragged home and left in the state it was in, blood, glass and a football sized dent in the quarter panel from another incident!

The car was put behind a barn in a field and left to rot.

Come 2010 and Ed decided he fancied getting the car out for a bit of a play and maybe one last rip round Down Ampney. Not surprisingly Dan wasn't too keen on navigating! We got the car out of the field and set about prepping it in 3 weeks for the event.

when it came out of the field it looked like this:

within 3 weeks it looked immaculate but i can't find the shots so a shot from a week later taking an unconventional line round the first hairpin at pugfest

I've taken over the car at this point and started doing most of the work and using it most. To date i've done 2 rallies, 2 rallysprints and about 5 trackdays at Combe, mainly due to a distinct lack of funds (my other hobby which demands cash is photography!)

some pics from events i've done:

the car cut out after a fast watersplash at sweetlamb which produced this entertaining shot of me being pushed...

then this hampered me 2 weeks before my first event of 2012:

so the decision was taken to pull the entry and look into engine options as until then the engine and box had been standard and whilst i got some good results in the car the risks i was taking to keep up were getting a little daft, even only on airfield events! more power and better gearbox were needed but unfortunately my summer job of pratting about in over 100k's worth of below got in the way:

On my return from the farm in late october 2012 a Chance phone call to Dan (nav mentioned above) revealed that there might be a space to turn into a workshop for rent on his farm near stroud. I went to see it at the first chance and the decision was made! Hello double car workshop:

then time to move my donor car in next to the rally car:

The space needed lots of work to turn into a workshop so on we went with kitting it out:

crawler board...

old womans trolley converted to welder trolley

I took the engine from the car which is an ex Marcus Dodd (british rally champion) 106 cup car engine giving around 145 bhp. This engine mated to a be4r from a xsara picasso with a choice gearset should woork nicely so onwards we went:

along with taking the engine out the wiring was labelled and salvaged. everything else from the car is/was being/sold.
continued below
c_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
c_robinson

User Gallery
some pics:

saxo wiring:

i'll be needing this:

205 wiring:

shiney new billies:

so basically I've decided to fit a tu5j4 (106 cup car) engine with a be4r gearbox. However!!! As i've been stripping bits off the car to do the swap i've carried on stripping bits and have been thinking more and more that it's worth giving the whole thing a massive complete rebuild!

So in 2 weeks i've gone from facing a tricky engine swap to doing a bare shell rebuild.

This progress blog will cover as much of the work as i remember to photograph but basically i'd quite like it done in 6 months.

plans are:

rebuild every component. renew anything that needs renewing inc:
paint inside, outside and underneath
welding to rust proof and sort out rust patches
tidy bodywork
fit tu5j4 and be4r
run billies front and rear
rebuild all brakes and renew copper lines with aeroquip lines
rebuild beam
chop out drivers seat rails and fit new but lower
add to cage (x door bars)

Today was rubbing down internally and investigating/looking for rust patches along with a spot of welding with my gopro hd 2 mounted to the welding lance...

That's it for now and probably this week but i'll be doing a bit each week and with the help of the missus, marcus my navigator and my brother this should be done in no time atall (yeah right!)

Cheers
Charlie

not managed to get too much further on this due to various commitments over xmas.

couple of pics:

to do list which equates to probably 1/10th the build!

lovely rust in the windscreen area (abover wiper motor) that was hidden by the seal

engine bay coming along nicely:

spent 30 on some timber and knocked up a decent workbench (vice now added)

The mrs wanted to learn how to weld:

couple of holes in 2 skylights are letting in a lot of water onto both cars...drastic measures given the amount of rain we've had

I had a chat with Dan my landlord about the longevity of my workshop and he said he'd be needing it back in 18/24 months time which is a real blow...However, he said he may have another barn i could move into:

I've properly fallen for the building, it's stuning (or could be) and has so much more potential. Jobs would obviously be to clear it out, knock the boarded up windows out and put polycarb panels in place, a general tidy and lick of paint, oh and concreting the floow It's about 18 foot wide by maybe 60 foot long, It'd make an amazing workshop with a bit of time and effort (oh and about 900's worth of work!

More progress on the bloody car should be coming soon.

Be4r box is being built up at the moment, need to find the exact mount to use for the top engine mount then will be offering up the engine/box and shafts. Suspension stuff has arrived just need to order solid top mounts and some pairs of springs. Digital dash is an on going research topic at the moment!

Cheers

Charlie

Last edited by c_robinson; 14-01-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
c_robinson

User Gallery
right.

So in an attempt to get the drivers seat lower and further in to the tunnel to centralise it with the steering wheel we looked into the various options. Before i knew it i'd cut a great big hole in the floor and ordered some 1.5mm thick zintec sheet.

I'll let the pics do the explaining!

annoyingly my welder has stopped feeding wire it just 'clicks' from the feed motor so i'll get it sorted in the morning.

Lots more body work repairs to do but it's bloody nice to be 'making' the thing rather than cutting holes or rubbing down underseal!

Cheers

Charlie
Old 14-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
AzzAW93

User Gallery
nice of them to provide bicycle parking at these events

looks like a good build though, no doubt ill see this out in 2013?

Mike is my hero, I love him.
AzzAW93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
Great build. I really like the white and red, when you cleaned it up.

Partner at Trackspec - Performance parts for enthusiasts
info@trackspec.co.uk
www.trackspec.co.uk
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Wow, epic thread started! That barn looks like an awesome place to have a workshop, should be able to squeeze a few projects in there.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
c_robinson

User Gallery
had to modify a 205 tu mount to fit but it'll only be used to place the engine in the bay and align it then we'll make a steel version ala Colin's 16v mount

manifold modified to clear subframe came up cheaper than what it'd cost to make my own

offered on various sites free to collector, no one came, it went!

oh and a little kit car naughtiness!

Thats the pics upto todays date 14/1/2013.

Most of the stuff needed is now bought or being made, the only thing we're not doing ourselves is the gearbox which is being done by Andy @ GwynneSpeed. Wiring will be fun, as we're using the 16v engine loom, but modifying it, then no other pug/oe wiring, making entirely our own loom so could well be some decent head scratching going on!

Cheers
Charlie

Thanks for the comments guys, thought it rude not to post it here too!

The arse's were useful pushing me after going through a watersplash too fast and getting the elctrics a bit wet!

Matt, 30's worth of rattle cans turned the trims red and IMO transformed the look of the car, so much so they'll be staying red.

The new barn is just amazing, i'm fully committed to getting it sorted even if it takes 2 years. it'd make one hell of a home for a few toys.

Cheers
Charlie

Last edited by c_robinson; 14-01-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Charlie, epic thread. So good to see some of the stuff you've been talking about in here. Farm space looks cracking - with natural light too.
Old 15-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Gus
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SCOTTISH GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
Good effort.

Nice tractor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
My resolution for 2011 is to sort my fucking car
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
c_robinson

User Gallery
thanks for the comments fella's.

I'm still soldering on with some fairly major cutting of rusty panels and replacing with 1.5mm zintec sheet

n/s footwell

n/s from wheelarch

o/s footwell

made some blanking plates for the inlet and exhaust manifolds and cleaned up the block, this is after 20 mins with a wire brush in the drill, the joys of a 7,000 mile old engine

The main man Morph who's helping me, driving 45 mins each way 2/3 times a week to give a hand, all for the love of fabricating parts and knowing that we're attempting to make the 205 better than peugeot ever did!

Snow day today so no more progress
Old 29-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
c_robinson

User Gallery
got the dash mocked up tonight in a new panel and then transfered from cardboard to some 1mm steel, however i'm going to be remaking the mounting panel using alluminium with a carbon vinyl wrap.

It'll also have 'sides' to tie it in to the original surround

The box to house the main switches is here, just need to source the switches and wire from our local wiring loom chap who does omex and previously did prodrive looms.

All i'm using from the OE wiring is the 106 gti engine loom and ecu, which will then be connected into our own loom, which we are (somewhat scarily) going to be making ourselves.

some pics that went missing these last 2 weeks!

Cardboard Aided Design ie: CAD

Morph got on with the rear arch after he cut out a lot of rusty sh*t steel! Cardboard Aided Manufacture: CAM... this is it tacked in place, then chopped out to be welded fully on the bench internally!

The mrs was allowed to choose the colour of and paint the footrest!

enough snow to have fun in:

the mrs learning how to slide a car about!

Cheers

Charlie
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
c_robinson

User Gallery

That's the digi dash almost finished, just need to make up some 'wings' from the base plate to meet the dash board surround to enclose it all, then will wrap it but vinyl choices are proving hard...some saying to flock it, some saying carbon vinyl but a suggestion has been made of walnut vinyl ala the pugsport gearknobs!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
c_robinson

User Gallery
fair amount more going on with this but again the biggest restriction being finances!

I'll let the pics do the talking:

Fed up of axel stands i knocked a frame up out of the scrap pile and an old gate. It's been braced further

tipped onto it's side by 3 people and lead on some tyres, i'll remove the jack handle and replace with a bolted at both ends support

my better half cleaning up around the seam welding with the grinder and wire wheel!

etch primer arrived....

The boxed in exhaust tunnel prior to final cleaning and paint. The exhaust on the car has no center box so clearance shalln't be an issue

Cheers
Charlie
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog

Have you sprayed the hand brake lever blue??
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Looking good, surprised you didn't make a shell spit instead of the slightly pikey tyre technique!

ETA: Good work Mike!
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
Aleksandr
SOUTH EAST GROUP LEADER #2

User Gallery Car Blog
Grinding in Uggs?! My girlfriend would turn the grinder on me if anything happened to hers.

Like the floor solution!

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...
Aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
c_robinson

User Gallery
don't you start Mike, or i'll find 'that' screenprint

The tyres were less than ideal and will be being replaced, a spit costs money whereas tonight we just wanted to get it on it's side to have a look and finish off some welding. It'll be being done properly!

can you tell by the fact she's grinding in them who paid for them?!!!!! merry bloody christmas!
Old 26-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
AzzAW93

User Gallery
care to explain

Old 27-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
c_robinson

User Gallery
not a huge amount i can say that the pictures don't.

Hired the sirion as a one off fun day out and went ok on the first 2 stages i believe fighting for 2nd/3rd in the class with my fellow gwynnespeed instructor bill paynter in his 1400 106.

ss3 let a subaru past on the way into 2 90 left's, he stopped dead in the middle of the 2 and i tapped him up the arse which pissed me off a bit, i hate the thought of hitting someone as i don't believe the 'rubbing's racing' bollocks applies to any form of motorsport let alone rallying, plus i knew it'd have damaged the front of the car ...

went on a mission from there and it was all going well, felt much quicker and was happy. came out of 4x 45 rights which tightened to a 90 and headed 50 yards into a tightening hairpin left, dropped the rear wheel on the loose under braking and it felt (and looks like on the gopro) it sped up once it started sliding and we smacked the grass bank on the outisde... 75 yards or so later it felt like the rear wheel had come off when it snapped sideways in a straight line. limped back to service to assess the damage and thought it was a massively bent stub axel pin... nope the whole beam casting was bent badly. got a porta-power hydraulic ram but couldn't straighten it. game over

pretty gutted as it's my first retirement as a driver and first major damage causing accident in over 10 years of driving (road or rally), the thing i'm most gutted about is it was my girlfriends first ever event and she was doing fantastically on the maps, so for her to miss out on the remaining 45 miles really pissed me off.

it's only a car it's it's only costing money to repair, not the end of the world, we're both sore but it could have been much worse considering the 6inch square fence post that could have easily come through my window had it been 5 feet nearer where we hit the bank!
Old 27-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
AzzAW93

User Gallery
ah that sucks i didnt think it happened that early on, as i only saw it limp through service after stage 6 iirc
sounds asif you were going well though, when do you think you'll be out in the 205?

Old 27-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
looks great, loving the unit so much space compared to a garage.
bendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
c_robinson

User Gallery
after 6 was driving out after the palava about opening a bloody gate to let the owner set off on his 3 hr journey home! did it in ss3

were you or your old man doing it?

unit is great, back to work on the 205 and a puma to build into a field car for now!