home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > Northern Ireland & Ireland

Northern Ireland & Ireland Northern Ireland & Ireland

Old 29-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
91davidw
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
My S1 Rallye Trackcar

How it stood the day I got it

Seats and harnesses to be fitted

Wheels primed

Wheels painted

Work started at 10am on a Saturday morning

The stripout begins, seats removed already

All the above took about 1 hour

The sound deadening was removed from behind the dash, this alone weighs in at 5kgs
Took about 45mins to remove it but I think the weigh saving was worth it

All the seatbelts removed = another 6kgs saved

91davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
91davidw

User Gallery
Quick call to my m8 Bob for advice then seats & harness fitted after lunch
Not sure about the seat mounts so may change them

Had a green filter going spare so stuck it on

Inside needs a clean and it's abit untidy in places but has the basic's

Will have a cold air going straight to the filter.
Plan is to cut the bonnet in manta 400 style triangles with some wire mesh to stop leaves, dirt and so on blowing in.

Probably only cut a line of three on the bottom and two on top for enough feed for the filter.

Decided I wasn't happy with the seat mounts so extra plates welded in by a m8 to strengthen the whole lot.

Car has a group n pugsport stainless steel cat back system fitted which gives a nice note, plan for the future is to remove the cat.

Rubber will be the tyre's I used the last trackday on the Vr, Conti's on the front and Uniroyals on the back if dry, if wet the other way round.

Tyre's are 195/50/15 and may have some arch rubbing as the rallye should run 195/45/15's or so I've been told, last 2 weeks have been a steep learning curve for me as I know nothing about peugeots in general.

Well the Rallye did its first trackday at Kirkistown on the 19th October and held up well.
Did 8 sessions ( I drove 4 and Chris did 4 ) totalled 140 track miles and used 8 gallons of fuel, which I thought wasn't to bad.

Car performed well but I must say I was disappointed with it's overall speed, I guessed it would be quick but it's clearly not!
On turn-in the car lacks alot of frontend grip and through debtors and over the kerbs in the chicane there is a knocking noise from the passenger side front, I'm hoping this is a broken anti-roll bar mount or droplink which might explain the understeer.
Suspension needs sorted next as the rear sits far to high so needs lowered and the front lacks grip, so time for abit of research.

Only 2 photo's I took...

Kirkistown 19th October

A few photo's taken by bob, thanks m8

Booked in for the next day at Kirkistown on the 23rd November so we'll see how it goes then.
Any advice, suggestions, tips or feedback welcome folks...

Cheers
David
Old 30-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Wayne D
IRISH REGIONAL LEADER

User Gallery
Hi David,

The car looks great and you've done some nice work turning it into a track car.
Thats a pity your disapointed in the performance or the speed of the car, generally they're a fun little car straight out the box. When i had my s1 rallye i fitted a set of 15" wheels and i noticed a drain on power compaired to it with the steel wheels. Maybe that's an idea.
Other handy and cheap'ish mod's is a 4-2-1 manifold and Pug Sport exhaust, they will free up a few extra horses. They made a noticeable differance to my s2.

Hopefully you can make it to some of our meet ups some of the days, i'll look forward to seeing the car.

Wayne
Old 30-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Nazor
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
Ah thats Simon's old 106. I bought my S2 off him also David. TBF david kirky has very long straights and not an awful lot of driving in them (IMO) - if you had it out at Nutts Corner (£75 an hour) wou'd have far more fun in it.

Car is looking well though - fair play!
Nazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
91davidw

User Gallery
I knew fitting the 15" wheels it would affect acceleration but I have a near unlimited supply of part worn 195-50-15 tyres from work, which helps keep costs low ie. not having to pay for tyres.

Car has a stainless steel cat back system fitted I think made by scorpion, I plan to remove the cat next but where can I get a 4-2-1 manifold for the 1.3, can't find one anywhere.

Wouldn't mind getting to one of the meets sometime but the car is for track use only as I'm not taxing or insuring it for the road.

Have read lots on here about suspension and handling but came to no conclusions any advice is very welcome!

Nazor can you tell me any history about the car?

Cheers
David
Old 30-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Nazor

User Gallery Car Blog
Nothing unfortunately, only that Simon owned it - there is a pic in the RMS Garage in the Peugeot section of the car - its on S2 GTI wheels at that time. He is a good lad - you could give him a PM on RMS about the car. username is Simon998.

U shud be able to get a 4-2-1 on here from some of the guys on the mainland.
Old 30-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
91davidw

User Gallery
Thanks Nazor

Trying to trace the history of my S1 rallye and it seems my rallye may have a 106 1.1 gearbox fitted !!!

What are the differences between the 1.1 & 1.3 Rallye box ??
How can I check if it is a 1.1 gearbox without removing it first?
How hard will it be to find a s1 rallye gearbox and whats the going rate for one?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
David
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 AM   #8
J_K
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
I have to say, you've done a nice job on that anyway.

Not 100% on this but the 1.1 should have longer ratios, how much longer I don't know.

With the 1.3 Rallye gearbox you should have to change from second to third before you get to 60mph, at about 55-56 or so, I can't get 60 from mine in second on the limiter even. I'm assuming if you can crack 60 in 2nd then its not the proper gearbox.

I suppose the 1.3 isn't that fast really but still should be quick enough to have fun.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 AM   #9
dynofiend

User Gallery Car Blog
Good work so far!

Gearbox codes are stamped into them, Im afraid I cant remember the exact location of the stamp, but its a short 6 or 7 digit alphanumeric code I think. Difficult to guess what box it has based on speeds in gears, especially because of the different sized tyres you are using.

The car is always going to feel slow on track, its only got 100bhp which is alot less than any modern hot hatch.

Your understeer issues could be anything really. The odd ride height you have wont help, will push the weight of the car forwards and make it understeery on turn in but oversteery if you happen to get it out of shape. It appears that the car has lowering springs on the front too, which will be harder than standard ones, and hence give a bit more understeer.

For a track car id recommend a full poly bush change, new antiroll bar droplinks, a 24mm rear antiroll bar, lowering the rear so its still slightly higher than the front looking at the sills (by about 10-20mm max). Id also recommend using the same tyres front and rear. Different tyres tend to have different grip qualities when under/on/past the limit of adhesion, and can lead to odd handling characteristics. Check to see what position your top mounts are in, they can be rotated to increase castor and get a sharper turn in. Search this forum for 'rotating top mounts'

For more speed, you want to investigate that gearbox, and get a proper one on there. The Rallye engine doesnt take well to being 'off cam' and a base model gearbox doesnt keep the revs where they should be.
dynofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
91davidw

User Gallery
Thanks J_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynofiend View Post
For more speed, you want to investigate that gearbox, and get a proper one on there. The Rallye engine doesnt take well to being 'off cam' and a base model gearbox doesnt keep the revs where they should be.
Yes dynofiend you hit the nail on the head exactly, there seems to be a big gap between 2nd and 3rd gears, in the corners 2nd gear will be screaming at 7000 odd rpm but change to 3rd and it drops to 4000 odd resulting in being 'off cam' and you loose all drive as the engine kinda bogs down.

The rear of the car does sit very high, just been reading up on Sandy's guide to lowering the torsion bars & the front seems lowered as you say.
Have found an ad from a previous owner saying the car had Blistien Shocks and Spax 30mm springs. It may still have the springs but doesn't have the shocks fitted anymore and I'm puzzled as to why the rear sits so high, would someone adjust the bars to rise the rear??? I don't know.
Photos of the car before I bought it show it sitting very low on GTI rims.
Think the best solution is to replace the complete suspension then I know what I've got to work with, any recommendations?

Cheers
David
Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Nazor

User Gallery Car Blog
wasnt someone selling full pugsport suspension kit here?

get to the forsale section dude!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Looks like some good progress being made!

Going rate for a Rallye box is 150+ I was lucky and managed to pick one up so saved delivery costs and got it for 100!

Polybush's are the best modification on my car to date, improve the feel of the car sooo much.

Theres still a fair bit of weight to be shed from that Rallye I've said about 5kg cutting up the dash board, and plan on getting perspex windows, fibreglass bonnet and boot etc
curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
91davidw

User Gallery
Looked at them Nazor but 's for whats ment to be a budget trackday car.

Box is gonna cost me loads as the chance of finding one here is slim and postage will be a killer.

Again looked at polybushing it but again 's to do the whole lot.
Not looking to go as far as cutting the dash but a m8 works for a plastic company and cut himself polycarbonate windows for his golf so may talk to him about the 106.

Cheers
David
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
J_K

User Gallery
If your dropping from 7000 to 4000 with gear changes then you've definitely the wrong box.

I've also been told those wheels are pretty heavy (Not sure if its true or not). They look fantastic though.

Is it possible the back is fairly high due to the amount of weight you've lost. Possibly not enough to make a difference though.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
91davidw

User Gallery
Wrong box for sure then!

Back of the car sat high before I started the stripout and hasn't changed after loosing the weigh.
Not sure whats the next best thing to do now... start to sort the suspension, look for a box... all £££'s

Cheers
David
Old 02-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #16
welsh_dan
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
liking the 205 gti speedlines
welsh_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #17
91davidw

User Gallery
Thanks dan.

I got another 1 delivered today actually, will get it cleaned, primed, painted and lacquered during next week.
I'll have 4 on the car and 2 spare now, so I guess I'll sell the oz's that came on the car as I have no need of them.

Does anyone have a excellent guide to changing gearboxes like the 1 Sandy did for lowering the torsion bars or should i just buy a haynes manual ??

Cheers
David
Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #18
J_K

User Gallery
Its all money sure

I've big plans for mine too but ain't got the cash to back it up

Gearbox isn't too bad to get out, I've done the clutch in mine with just axle stands and a trolley jack. And sure when you've the gearbox off you may aswell get a new clutch too and so on so forth until your totally broke.

Haynes manual is a good investment I suppose, handy to have for the odd stuff you haven't done before and even just for reference.

Good to see another S1 in the country, I've only ever seen one other apart from mine.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #19
91davidw

User Gallery
Small update

Still not done anything apart from trawling the classifieds and ebay, toying with the ideal of just putting it through mot and selling, then maybe look at something else for a trackcar.

Decisions Decisions.. problem is I actually really like the wee car!

Cheers
David
Old 06-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
jackgarrys2

User Gallery
How much would you be looking to sell it for if you were to sell???
jackgarrys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
91davidw

User Gallery
Well the time has come to maybe sell the Rallye for something faster for the track but whats it worth as I have no idea??
I've done 8 trackdays and the car hasn't missed a beat, runs perfectly.

Posted a thread here with details of the car http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...ad.php?t=62663

What do you reckon...

Cheers
David