home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > Problems, Servicing & Repairs

Problems, Servicing & Repairs Information and topics about technical problems, servicing and repairs to the Rallye

Old 27-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
DanCainey
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Brakes nightmare

Okay here goes - I've been battling with trying to sort out the crap brakes on my 106. FYI it is the 3 stud axle so ATE calipers rather than bendix.

Symptoms: spongy brakes with almost no bite. They will slow the car down (and seem to work better at speed) but a lot of force is needed on the pedal, and slowing to a complete stop at a junction is rubbish as they just don't bite. Brakes failed MOT due to front brakes imbalanced, service brake lagging in operation, parking brake inoperative on one side, brake efficiency below levels.

After reading up on the many posts regarding 106 brake problems, I've so far attempted the following:

- brand new drums, shoes and cylinders on the rear.
- brand new pads and discs in the front.
- checked front callipers - one was a bit seized but managed to free it up. Callipers seem to slide freely.
- brand new master cylinder
- replaced brake servo and check valve
- replaced and bled brake fluid several times.
- have checked the adjuster bar for free play - had a go at tightening but quickly discovered it was causing the brakes to bind so had to slacken off again.

None of this has really made any noticeable difference. Obviously the handbrake is now working properly, but the overall performance is still as bad as ever.

Any ideas of what to look at next?
DanCainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 02:07 AM   #2
Mitsiman
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Check the linkage that travels from the pedal to the master cylinder actuator. Get somebody to look when you press the pedal and see if the pedal movement reflects the movement at the other end. the linkages wear and the bulkhead flexes over time, the brackets can crack. Its a compromised design executed as only the French know how!
Mitsiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
It could still be a crappy cylinder.

Clamp each hose one by one and go for a drive and see if the pedal feel improves.
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
DanCainey
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Cheers for the replies - ended up taking to the garage. They said it was several small adjustments, including the rear shoes which despite being brand new and auto adjusting, needed to be adjusted more apparently.

Brakes are now MOT passable, but for anyone else struggling with theirs, just be aware that these 106 brakes feel like absolute crap compared to every other car I've driven. There's a lot of pedal travel and you have to stamp on it to get them to do anything. I imagine I'll try and upgrade them at some point.
DanCainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
It'll be the drums and the shoes causing it. Mine was like that for years.

the auto adjustment doesn't ratchet very well, so you need to adjust the main nut under the handbrake.

I'm sure you're aware of how to adjust a handbrake cable - I tighten mine with the rear jacked up until the drums lock, then back off half a turn. gives me 3 clicks. Any looser and the brake pedal goes further.

Plus the calipers you get with the 3 stud at the front are absolutely bollocks. There is no upgrade without converting to 4 stud hubs.
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote