home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox ECU chips, decats, cam kits,

Old 26-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Bastek333
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
1.6 8V TDC - how to find it ? - SOLVED

Hi guys,

Just changing my cam for CatCams and need to find TDC to set it properly.

As Sandy309 said:
Anyway, you can lock the crank using the 6mm dowel hole in the block at the flywheel end, which locks the flywheel at TDC, I always check the alignment of the flywheel notch on critical engines and it's always spot on, so no worries there.

But looks something not right in my case - by checking with dialguage via spark plug hole I think I can find great TDC - dial is going to max in "one" point and drooping either sides when turning the crank.
But this is nowhere near the notch on the flywheel - even worst is not very close to camshaft pulley locking pin position - it can be some variations as head been cut by 1mm and head gasket bit thinner - but is good 2 tooth difference where in theory it should be...
Car been rallying over 2 years with this setup - so is the chance that with that retarded cam car is going pretty well - and no piston to valve contact.

So have no clue - is the cam pulley hole by default set for TDC and the notch on flywheel - or something can be wrong with this checking points ?

How bad can be measurement via spark plug hole using dialguage ?

So the flywheel notch is spot-on for TDC - confirmed with dialguage - problem has been 'generated' by clutch bolt - it sticks somewhere close the notch is so pushing locking pin do not stopped flywheel on proper place but on this bolt...

Last edited by Bastek333; 27-03-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: issue solved
Bastek333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastek333 View Post
Hi guys,

Just changing my cam for CatCams and need to find TDC to set it properly.

As Sandy309 said:
Anyway, you can lock the crank using the 6mm dowel hole in the block at the flywheel end, which locks the flywheel at TDC, I always check the alignment of the flywheel notch on critical engines and it's always spot on, so no worries there.

But looks something not right in my case - by checking with dialguage via spark plug hole I think I can find great TDC - dial is going to max in "one" point and drooping either sides when turning the crank.
But this is nowhere near the notch on the flywheel - even worst is not very close to camshaft pulley locking pin position - it can be some variations as head been cut by 1mm and head gasket bit thinner - but is good 2 tooth difference where in theory it should be...
Car been rallying over 2 years with this setup - so is the chance that with that retarded cam car is going pretty well - and no piston to valve contact.

So have no clue - is the cam pulley hole by default set for TDC and the notch on flywheel - or something can be wrong with this checking points ?

How bad can be measurement via spark plug hole using dialguage ?

So the flywheel notch is spot-on for TDC - confirmed with dialguage - problem has been 'generated' by clutch bolt - it sticks somewhere close the notch is so pushing locking pin do not stopped flywheel on proper place but on this bolt...

I think you are putting the 6mm pin in wrong place.

It goes above the big hole.

That pin in the flywheel is TDC, it cannot move or be anywhere else.

Measurement from spark plug hole using a dial gauge is okay, but you MUST lock the flywheel with a clamp. It will move position when you tension the belt if it is not clamped/pinned.
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Bastek333
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHR1294 View Post
I think you are putting the 6mm pin in wrong place.

It goes above the big hole.

That pin in the flywheel is TDC, it cannot move or be anywhere else.

Measurement from spark plug hole using a dial gauge is okay, but you MUST lock the flywheel with a clamp. It will move position when you tension the belt if it is not clamped/pinned.
As I said before - have solved the case and TDC is where TDC should be with locking 6mm pin in proper hole - trouble was that first time I have try to lock flywheel with the pin it stopped in wrong position (because on the back of the flywheel are clutch bolts sticking out and this locking pin has stopped on one of the bolt so that I was confused about)

Checking with the good light and the mirror looking via this bigger hole in block to see where this notch is and move it back to lock with the pin....

Long story short - TDC is where should be comparing to measurements
Bastek333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Haha I was too busy looking at the small text and didn't see your edit!
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote