home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox ECU chips, decats, cam kits,

Old 25-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
C2R2-Max
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
BE Gearbox advice.

I'm looking to build a be type gearbox for my 106 road rally car which is used on targa events also.
I'v read a lot of threads and I'm still left a little confused.

I'm after a be3/4 box and I'm looking for a low final drive, something like a 4.8 or 4.9, what is the ideal car to get the box out of and where can I get a final drive close to what I'm after?
I have read that some of the partners and experts 1.8d but I'm wondering is there any other Peugeot/ Citroen which has something close enough? Is there a big difference between the be3 and the be4? I want to make sure I get one with a hydraulic clutch also (silly statement I know lol)

I'm also looking for a close ratio gearing to get up the gears quickly, preferable a longish first to help pull out of hairpins, but I want to get up the box quick after that. Has anyone any experience or any recommendations on where I could gather the gears from? I do know it will involve mixing and matching gears from a few boxes but thats not a problem.

I appreciate any help offered.
C2R2-Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 01:00 AM   #2
Mike_Roberts
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
I've ran a BE4R box in my 106 road rally car for the last 2 seasons.

The best gearing is a hybrid... use the 1st and 2nd (and input shaft) out of a 205 1.9 Gti. Then use the 3rd, 4th and 5th out of a 306 GTi6. You will need to get the 3rd/4th (one piece) internally machined to fit the BE3 pinion. Spoox machined mine for me with grinding stones!

My box is running a 4.93 CWP out of a citroen despatch non turbo diesel. I'm pretty sure mine was a '20TB10' out of a scrapyard!

This combination gives you a very useable 1st gear, with minimal rev drop into 2nd gear. On 14" AO21 tyres and the standard rev limit of 7250rpm, mine does 101mph GPS.
Mike_Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
C2R2-Max

User Gallery
Thanks Mike, that sounds like what I'm looking for.

Is it a big job to get the 3rd & 4th gear machined on the be3 pinion or would they fit the be4 pinion?
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to come across the gti-6 gears on their own, can they be got new if needs be? (ie. last resort)
Also trying to get the CWP is looking difficult again could it be sourced new by chance?

I can get my hands on a 206 gti 180 box pretty handy but I was wondering what bell housing I would require or is it a straight fit?
C2R2-Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
ppoter

User Gallery
Hello @C2R2-Max, send me you email and I send you a table with model car/denomination/type of gearbox/final drive.
ppoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
jools

User Gallery
Because of the differences between be3 and 4 boxes, and the lottery that appears to come with dispatch etal. boxes and wether they are be3 or 4 you may be better off finding your final drive first then select the gears afterwards. Else you will buy lots of boxes. I ended up buying 5 then a further 2 later after damaging the box
jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
welshpug

User Gallery
BE4 stuff doesn't fit BE3 shafts.

BE3R stuff can be modified to fit BE3 shafts (like a gti6 3-4th)

Servicebox has all the data you need, however its spread about, you can narrow down certain models by cross reference lookup.

206 will have a BE4 box, so you need a BE4 shaft from a van around 2000 onward, stuff before this is BE3R, before mid 97 is BE3 (those dates aren't accurate, just from memory, you can narrow it down with the RP codes on servicebox)

you can improve your chances 100% by removing the gearbox from the donor vehicle yourself, rather than the pot luck picking a casing from a heap on the floor with some scribbled on paint markings.

205 has very similar gear ratios to the 205 but obviously BE1 or BE3 so you need a BE1/3 shaft if you want to change the final drive.

BE4 does not designate the bellhousing, you need to get a bellhousing and main casing from a TU engine, its best practice to use paired casings as they are line bored, also make sure you get the matching intermediate driveshaft bearing carrier, I believe the angle of the diff relative to the crank centreline varies across some vehicles.

if you see any BE3 boxes for a TU engine these are Peugeot/Citroen sport casings and tend to attract a premium.

TU-BE4 are factory casings.

you can still buy many of the final drives new, price varies but you're looking at about 600 for the CWP set.

no idea on the gti6 3-4th, unlikely as it was only ever used in that application, these are the weak point of that particular gearbox however due to the low tooth profile, seen quite a few failures on supercharged road cars and mild tuned 2.0 engines on rally slicks.

Hydraulic use is easy, a lot of cars with the BE4 box were hydraulic, the 206 master is a nice easy one to retrofit as it has a nice short body and a two bolt flange.

Last edited by welshpug; 29-11-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
jools

User Gallery
If it's any help I use a 206gti 180 cluster and 4.93 FD BE4 arrangement, all mounted in a Citroen Berlingo 1.6 MA/BE box. Tops out at 112mph at 7,200 rpm, ideal for sprinting and hill climbs with short straights.

Last edited by jools; 29-11-2016 at 11:48 AM.
jools is offline   Reply With Quote