home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > North West > North West Members Cars

Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #51
Cris B
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
Turned card templates into steel:

End of the bulkhead was a bit ropey so marked it out and then cut a big bigger chasing the rust. This needed doing as you need to be able to weld this into the inner arch repairs.

Not too bad under the seam, only the end section nearest the arch needed some new metal in the lower part. Repaired with a patch panel.

I've fabbed up a section to close up the wheel arch (took hours), but before I fit it I thought I'd check out the chassis rail a bit more closely because it didn't look too clever. Also it gave more space to work in to assess things.

Worse underneath in places...

So chopped and drilled quite a bit and confirmed my suspicions. Several holes in the bottom of the rail. So all this came out. Some of which will be kept as a guide for making repair panels.

This resulted in a large hole.

There is more to come out but I need to put some new metal back in to try and keep some shape to it all before I chop out anymore.

Last edited by Cris B; 08-05-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Cris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #52
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Watching this with interest Cris - my S2 has gone in the same spot, although I'm going to have to get the front wishbone mount off the leg as well as it's rotted a bit further back too.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #53
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Not updated here in a while as not much progress as I'd like has been made in the last three weekends as they have been write offs with DIY jobs (rebuild the boundary fence, then re-roof the kitchen, finally re-tile the shower), but have made some headway as per below:

Final bits to sort out on this arch - now chopped out ready to start rebuilding.

Old 20-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #54
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
April. That was when I started work on the drivers side inner wing. For a variety of reasons it's taken all this time to finish it. There was a lot of rot that was hidden from view, but the good news is it's all sorted now.

During this time I've had chance to think on a few other things. One was that some bits just weren't worth repairing, specifically the radiator support bar. So I chopped it out:

All of the three under bumper mounting bolts were seized in or had already snapped. It was just crusty with rust.

Although I marked the new bar for all three of the original radiator rubber mounting holes, I only drilled the two for the 16v rad. I've also added M6 nuts underneath for the bumper mountings.

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #55
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Well undoing the nuts and bolts for that rad bar once was enough so before I zinc primered it up, I welded some nuts on so now it's just 4 cap head bolts and a 5mm hex key to remove. Also shaped the end plates up a bit so that they sit within the curves of the original mounting point pressings.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #56
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Cool job, makes it easier for fitting the engine too.
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote