home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > 106 Rallye Chat & Topics

106 Rallye Chat & Topics Specific Rallye related chat and discussions only please!

Old 16-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
Sam Walters
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Ideal first mod's? S2 Rallye

Hi,

I've had the car now about 6 months, and after it singing and bouncing off of the limiter through the Summer, the Winter is now creeping in on us, and I'm looking to do some minor mod's to the car, for the Spring next year.

I'm just after a few recommendations with regards to first mods on the cars. I'm not interested in stripping it, or shedding much weight, ideally it'll be a nippy little street car, I'm just after some basics. Brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc.

Any ideas/recommendations appreciated. I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but if a mod would be so kind as to move it if it's not, that'd be great!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas all!
Sam Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
homologeo
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
It depends on your budget, but I bought a full Bilstein suspension setup (advertised as motorsport inserts with faulkner springs) and some high quality brake pads from Kam Racing earlier this year. It wasn't super expensive, but really did improve the car overall.

I also fitted a Peugeot Sport exhaust system and a BMC panel filter; I doubt this has made much difference as far as performance is concerned, but it sounds brilliant.

Last edited by homologeo; 16-12-2016 at 10:54 PM.
homologeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #3
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by homologeo View Post
It depends on your budget, but I bought a full Bilstein suspension setup (advertised as motorsport inserts with faulkner springs) and some high quality brake pads from Kam Racing earlier this year. It wasn't super expensive, but really did improve the car overall.

I also fitted a Peugeot Sport exhaust system and a BMC panel filter; I doubt this has made much difference as far as performance is concerned, but it sounds brilliant.
Hi.

The exhaust, brakes and suspension are what I'm looking at changing. I have family that work for EBC Brakes here in Northampton, so was looking at getting some of their Yellow Stuff discs and pads, but as far as suspension is concerned, it's a bit of a mind mashup for me. Does the Pug Sport exhaust pop and crackle at all? I've had a look at them previously, and have seen this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMof...VDstYA&index=4 and am not sure if I like the idea of the crackles and the bangs. (I live in a rather quiet neighbourhood and leave for work at 6:30am, what seems to resemble gun fire might not please the majority at that time of the morning)

Any chance you could give me the link to the suspension setup? If it's available to view online that is.

Many thanks,
Sam
Old 17-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
infamous aidy
EXPIRED MEMBER :(

User Gallery
personally i wouldnt go near ebc stuff i'd get some pads from a reputable company.
maybe get some good dampers from a company like bilstein, make sure everything you do is reversable and try and keep the car as solid, rust free and original as possible!
Old 17-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Spanker

User Gallery
Agree with everything just said!

Bilstein dampers are great quality and good for the road if you go for B6's or B8's, I had EBC pads on my current Rallye, and they were no better than the standard pads, Ferodo pads are excellent, provide a much better pedal feel and far better stopping power, I use the DS2500's.

Also have a Pugsport exhaust, which is loud but too loud I think, although it will be very loud if you decat it as well...
Spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
welshpug

User Gallery
tbh these days if it is a standard unmolested example I'd not mod it whatsoever, they're bloody good fun as they are and you wont lose any value on it then.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
tbh these days if it is a standard unmolested example I'd not mod it whatsoever, they're bloody good fun as they are and you wont lose any value on it then.
Unfortunately I purchased the car with some slight modifications; strut braces, OMP wheel, a stupidly poor fitted Scorpion back box, and the car has been lowered on it's original springs. I'm just looking at getting the car back towards standard, but whilst having a little fun with it. Brakes, suspension and exhaust seem to be the go-to starter mod's on the car, and I'm happy to leave it there.
Old 17-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
homologeo

User Gallery
I purchased this setup from Kam Racing:

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuni....html?___SID=U

I know others mentioned that they thought this setup might be a bit stiff for their local roads, but I certainly haven't experienced any problems with it. The handling has improved significantly with this setup.

The exhaust is pretty loud to be honest. I would prefer something a bit quieter, but it's possible to start the car and leave my neighbourhood in the early hours with upsetting the neighbours; just need to keep the revs under 3K.
Old 17-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
I purchased this setup from Kam Racing:

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuni....html?___SID=U

I know others mentioned that they thought this setup might be a bit stiff for their local roads, but I certainly haven't experienced any problems with it. The handling has improved significantly with this setup.

The exhaust is pretty loud to be honest. I would prefer something a bit quieter, but it's possible to start the car and leave my neighbourhood in the early hours with upsetting the neighbours; just need to keep the revs under 3K.
Many, many thanks for the link to the suspension. It's reasonably priced which is nicely surprising. Have read a lot of mixed reviews about the Group N and B8 dampers. How low are you running your car at the moment? Just as a general idea. Did you need to replace the original torsion bar?

The Peugeot Sport exhaust is by the sounds of things, the better option, regardless of the noise. Only downside is, it's expensive with the cat and without, there's the issue of having to own another exhaust for the MOT...
Old 17-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #10
homologeo

User Gallery
It's my understanding that you don't need to replace the rear torsion bar with this setup.

The ride height isn't really the factor here; you need to look at spring rate and resonance etc. There is a good article here:

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...ad.php?t=38629

I believe the springs are supposed to lower the car by about 35MM.
Old 17-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
It's my understanding that you don't need to replace the rear torsion bar with this setup.

The ride height isn't really the factor here; you need to look at spring rate and resonance etc. There is a good article here:

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...ad.php?t=38629

I believe the springs are supposed to lower the car by about 35MM.
Hi. I'll have a good read of the thread. Thanks again!
Old 17-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Spanker

User Gallery
The group N dampers can take up to a 22mm torsion bar upgrade, but it is not mandatory of course..

Great reference thread there Thomas!
Old 18-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Anyone have any suggestions with regards to new torsion bars, where to get them from, best ones to get etc? I may as well do the whole lot if I'm doing the dampers and springs.

Side note: Where's the best section to put up an intro/progress thread? Would be nice to keep track of the work and include others.

Thinking about Group N dampers, 21mm torsion bar, 24mm rear ARB (as far as I'm aware the S2 Rallye came with 24mm ARB from standard?), 165lb springs, and a 20mm front ARB. Primary use will be on the streets, but may see a track day in the future.
Old 18-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
Spanker

User Gallery
IM Axle do them
Old 18-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #15
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
IM Axle do them
Many thanks. Are they good quality?
Old 19-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #16
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Should be pretty decent.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #17
infamous aidy
EXPIRED MEMBER :(

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walters View Post
Many thanks. Are they good quality?

i've heard lots of bad stuff about their axles. there is a guy called steffan who builds axles, i dont know his last name but he is on most of the french car facebook groups and has a good reputation.