Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 101

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 110

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 115

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 120

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 125

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 130

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 135

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 140

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/rallyeforum/106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/includes/class_postbit.php on line 145
New rear axle - 106 Rallye Register Forum
home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

Suspension, Handling & Brakes Suspension set ups, uprated brakes

Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
moult
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
New rear axle

Hi guys...

Just purchased a new rear axle from IM. Going to swap it over at the weekend, I've changed axles before but haven't had to remove the rear hubs.
Is there any thing I need to look out for ? Will I require a puller !?

Thanks
moult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
The drums should come off with a hammer. this may split the wheel bearing.

If you need to swap the stub pins that the bearing sits on, it simply hammers out. the end of it is dimpled for hammering out with a drift. don't just hit the end with a hammer or it'll mushroom.

You can cheat and do what I did, to remove the drum simply hammer the stub pin back with the drum still on after removing the nut. this stops the bearing from splitting!

Everything else is bolt on.
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
VeiRoN

User Gallery
Three legged puller for the hub yes.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
moult

User Gallery
Hammering that stub pin through sounds a decent method.
Old 18-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
moult

User Gallery
Right guys !
Removed the old beam today... goin to replace the brake lines as there slightly corroded. The brake bias value looks like it's seen better days as well but don't really wana buy a new 1 of them. Unsure if it seized cause it isn't under tension cause it's off the car but the bolt is loose to the spring. Has any1 bypassed this ?
Another question I have is are the rear brake protectors needed ? Mine are old and pretty bent ?

Any help would be great ! Thanks
Old 29-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
MHR1294

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moult View Post
Right guys !
Removed the old beam today... goin to replace the brake lines as there slightly corroded. The brake bias value looks like it's seen better days as well but don't really wana buy a new 1 of them. Unsure if it seized cause it isn't under tension cause it's off the car but the bolt is loose to the spring. Has any1 bypassed this ?
Another question I have is are the rear brake protectors needed ? Mine are old and pretty bent ?

Any help would be great ! Thanks
Yeah I've no problem using discs with no compensator/bias valve. I also don't run backing plates and not had any issues so far.

I think the lack of compensator is only an issue if you swap the master cylinder to a 2 port one. I've heard the back and front end likes to switch places when braking hard!
Old 30-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
welshpug

User Gallery
Those valves always look crusty as hell, all you need to do is lube up the pivot and work it till its free, very rare that the piston in them seizes up.

I would not recommend dispensing with it without altering the system to a front-rear split with a manual bias valve.

you'll be fine without the covers.

make sure your new beam has the same length stub pin and torsion & roll bar sizes, and budget in for new bearings next year.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
VeiRoN

User Gallery
When does the stub pin length changes?
Old 30-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
welshpug

User Gallery
drum to disc.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
VeiRoN

User Gallery
Right,I was a bit confused as I thought you meant the pin on the axle itself and not on the trailing arm as measured mine drum to disc and they were the same and was under the impression they are all the same.
Old 30-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
MHR1294

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
Right,I was a bit confused as I thought you meant the pin on the axle itself and not on the trailing arm as measured mine drum to disc and they were the same and was under the impression they are all the same.
Measured what drum to disc?

The pin is the one that the wheel bearing sits on. they're about an inch different in length. the disc one being longer.

The main axle tubes are all the same, yes. With the "pin" that the main axle bearings run on. they're the same length.
Old 30-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
VeiRoN

User Gallery
Yes correct,I measured mine that was disc (faulty) to drum from a 1.1 106 (replacement part).