home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics

General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics Anything general car related in here!

Old 30-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Jamie P
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Question Garage Lighting... Idea's please...

As above, with my i have a garage, which i lock the Rallye in every night, but the only downside is it doesnt have electricity... neither is it close enough to run an extension lead etc...

But what i need ideally, is some light within the garage, so i can use it for more than just storing the car... Has anyone got any idea's what i can do? I guess something along the lines of rechargable lanterns etc? But the only ones i have found so far are low power, and wouldnt be worth it...

Thanks,

Jamie P.
Jamie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
Jimmers

User Gallery

Generator?
Jimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
matt_e
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
get some cheep security flood lights
matt_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
eddy6

User Gallery
is the garage anywhere near where you live? if it is quiet close u could get electricity by getting a big bit of wire like usual household cable then attach the plug and socket yourself and then run a floodlight from it
eddy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
G-Dub

User Gallery
Petrol generator with some floodlight things from B&Q? Could maybe even run a compressor off it
G-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
sparks

User Gallery
you can get some rechargeable flurescent lights we have some at work and give a good light, i'll try find out where we got them, thats proberly your best bet if you cant get any power to your garage
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
sparks

User Gallery
sumert like these
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...48291&id=53920
Old 31-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
James_H

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie P View Post
As above, with my i have a garage, which i lock the Rallye in every night, but the only downside is it doesnt have electricity... neither is it close enough to run an extension lead etc...

But what i need ideally, is some light within the garage, so i can use it for more than just storing the car... Has anyone got any idea's what i can do? I guess something along the lines of rechargable lanterns etc? But the only ones i have found so far are low power, and wouldnt be worth it...

Thanks,

Jamie P.
mate....I had this EXACT same problem at my flat - the garage was 200 yards away with no lighting.

The best solution I found was a car battery or even better still a heavy duty long lasting battery which I used from a mobility scooter!!! yes, they last for ages!

I then just rigged up a 12v Light bulb and away you go, you can then just take the battery into your house every month or so for a re-charge (depending how long you ise it)

Have a look around though, there are loads of solar powered type tricle chargers that you could rig up on the roof of the garage pretty eay to keep it charged.

Thats what I did anyway.
James_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
James_H

User Gallery
also worth noting though you wont be able to run any 240v power tools from that - maybe with an inverter but even then I think it will cane the battery too much :-(
Old 31-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
It would be worth making the effort to get 240v in there.
Also, have you tried searching for the new bluetooth electricity kit?
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
cobblers

User Gallery Car Blog
A car battery or a deep cycle battery running an old headlight bulb would work pretty well, just take the battery and charge it in the house after using it for a few days, or just crocodile clip it to the car battery instead but go steady
cobblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
samol

User Gallery
You could go green, have you got any way of producing your own power? sola (expensive) or wind turbine? Turbines are getting pretty cheap just store the power in a bank of batteries and it's there whenever you want it! and you can feel good about doing your little bit..
samol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
Paul R

User Gallery
Petrol Generator.
OR take the plunge and run a cable from the house, but wire it in to the Fuse Board properly and have a seperate one in the garage.
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
Jamie P

User Gallery
Thanks for the idea's guys, i think the battery idea would be the best, but more ideas are welcome!

I am renting the house, so attaching anything etc, or running cables may be a bit hard to do...
Jamie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
Bean0
ADMIN/WEBMASTER

User Gallery
Sounds like you need a Magic Torch to me
Old 01-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
scollay

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
i agree with sparks my fellow rr electrician,those would be ideal imo,we use a heavy duty variation of these on the railways,and would def be what id use,pretty cheap too.

bmw 123d m-sport coupe-fast,comfy and cheap to run.....
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
scollay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
James_H

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollay View Post
i agree with sparks my fellow rr electrician,those would be ideal imo,we use a heavy duty variation of these on the railways,and would def be what id use,pretty cheap too.
Those lanterns are crap - I tryed that. I tryed lanterns from argos (like the one in the link etc) they last about an hour when fully charged and the light is dismal!

TBH if you want experience from someone who was in the exact same situation read what I put Jamie.

Running mains to the garage is an absolute no no (runnin live 240v accross public or rented land). If you damage anything or hurt anyone (some one trips over the cable say) your in trouble. Also you cant fit a anything parmanent if its rented.

Again - get a good size heavy duty car battery or as I said a long life motablility scooter battery and get a 12v bulb in there!

Old 01-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #18
sparks

User Gallery
well there just a 4ft flurescent light but with two tube pretty silmilar to wot most of you may have in your kitchen at home, i find them to work very well and give of plenty of light and last for a fair amount of time, the battery idea is good aswell but then u have your cables to your light running round and getting in the way when ur trying to work under the car, cheers for the suport scollay us sparky must stick 2g4. lol
Old 01-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
scollay

User Gallery
well call me stupid,but are we not the lighting experts,how many other ppl on here understand and can calculate lux/lumens etc!lighing is my life blood!

but on a serious note,those particular ones may be crap,but as industry standard,emergncy lights must work for 3 hours in the event of mains failure,get a 5ft emergency fitting,then put a plugtop on it.thats wat id do personally!

we have battery powered lights for using on the trck,and they last a 12 hour shift no probs,see if i can get details tonight at work.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #20
sparks

User Gallery
Quote:
well call me stupid,but are we not the lighting experts,how many other ppl on here understand and can calculate lux/lumens etc!lighing is my life blood!

but on a serious note,those particular ones may be crap,but as industry standard,emergncy lights must work for 3 hours in the event of mains failure,get a 5ft emergency fitting,then put a plugtop on it.thats wat id do personally!

we have battery powered lights for using on the trck,and they last a 12 hour shift no probs,see if i can get details tonight at work.
yeah iremember sumert like that at college now a days thou if it goes bang uve done it wrong if it works its a bonus. lol
Old 01-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #21
scollay

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
yeah iremember sumert like that at college now a days thou if it goes bang uve done it wrong if it works its a bonus. lol
tut tut!be ashamed of yourself! things should never go bang if youre a trained professional like us!those things get blamed on the apprents!haha!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
sparks

User Gallery
yeah but everything goes bang at work cos theres a lad who works for us and i nicknamed him banger( for obvious reasons) no im a pro i never do anything wrong at all .lol
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #23
Robsparky

User Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
I also agree as a expired RR electrician!

These work best and i use them at work for testing buildings while the power is off! Car batterys in the flat a big no no!

I will be getting 2 of these for my new garage which is also a million miles away from the house, have my new garage and gym set up (back to pumping iron!)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...73104&id=41277 or these, put out a great deal of light and last 3 hours
Robsparky is offline   Reply With Quote