home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics

General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics Anything general car related in here!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
R9 PUG
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
audi's

my mum said to me last night she fancies getin an audi and selling the astra, she said she wants a small one like an A3, anyone know much about them? are they a good car?
R9 PUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
liamo88
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
they suck end of!
liamo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Bean0
ADMIN/WEBMASTER

User Gallery
Don't know much about the A3, but I used to go out'n'about in my bosses A4 a few years ago.

Both I drove had the 1.9TDi lump (110bhp, and 130bhp), they seemed to have enough grunt to cruise effortlessly at sensible motorway speeds, the ride was really smooth as well, too much body roll though for any spirited driving. The sound system was excellent, BOSE I believe.

One time when it was in for service we got a 1.6 petrol as a courtesy car, totally gutless...you felt like you could have got out and walked faster.

Wait for Dunc to come online, I'm pretty sure he works for them and will give an opinion on the A3.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Jamie P
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
The Audi A3 1.8T's arent bad, quite pokey, and not bad fuel economy... Shares the engine with the Golf Gti 1.8T...

If you are thinking of a New style one, the 1.9tdi's are apparently really good...
Jamie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie P View Post
The Audi A3 1.8T's arent bad, quite pokey, and not bad fuel economy... Shares the engine with the Golf Gti 1.8T...
are you off your rocker monkey boy! the 1.8t drink fuel like the misses drinks my jizz, you stamp on the bloody pedal and its goes down big time!

my friends got one which we took out for some abuse and IMO was a bitch on the fuel
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Jamie P
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jazzle View Post
are you off your rocker monkey boy! the 1.8t drink fuel like the misses drinks my jizz, you stamp on the bloody pedal and its goes down big time!

my friends got one which we took out for some abuse and IMO was a bitch on the fuel
Well, if your right foot is planted, the consumption wont be that forgiving!
Jamie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Stinaris

User Gallery
Audis are OK.

Nothing particularly good or bad about them. Not overly reliable, generally overrated in this area.

Quite nice inside, if you're the sort of person who doesn't get excited about driving and wants something that doesn't squeek.

The 130 TDI is an awesome engine, uses EUI injectors not common rail. Produces a lot of power but not quiet or refined by other diesel standards.

The engines are far forward in the chassis causing quite uninspiring handling. This is not helped by the 4x4 versions as they are all front biased, so you can go quicker before you understeer.

They do hold there values well as there is a unsubstantiated belief they are of a high quality.Which isn't really true.

I personally do not like the Bose sound system, IMHO it's far too heavy handed lacking the finesse of other entertainment systems.

They are f*king expensive to run.
Stinaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
darrenwm
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
I used to want an A3 before I bought my first GTi.

I'm sure they are classy and good for dating, but I can't imagine them being much fun.

I've never driven one though.

SOLD
darrenwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
i thought it was fun to drive, bloody impressive on the motorway, the oomph it gives when you plant you foot in 5th is really realyl cool...

just to much in the running costs for me
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
sandy309
106 RALLYE REGISTER ENGINE TECHNICAL ADVISOR

User Gallery
My parents had a 2001 A3 TDi as their last car. The most unreliable car they've owned in years, even the car holder gave up popping out....

Q. What's an Audi without a posh cup holder?
A. A Skoda.

They had electrical issues which Audi weren't able to properly fix during warranty and once it was out they ended up paying to still not have the issues fixed, 4k in 25,000 miles. The problems seemed to start in the ESP, but spread to the lights and indicators. Anyone else would have taken them to court, but my folks are too soft and rolled over. They aren't the only ones either.
They took my advice on the current car (Civic Type-S), needless to say it's been absolutely flawless and the Honda dealer can't do enough for them.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Stinaris

User Gallery
Oh yes that reminds me (thanks to Sandy for the electrical reminder).

The problem with the 1.8T is the injector coils. They would fail regularly and is the reason the Audi TT, YES THE TT was the most unreliable car in Britain for 3 years in a row.
75% of them broke down! Somehow they managed to keep that quiet.
Stinaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
doogz

User Gallery
i've driven a a3 1.8T quattro, and i was very impressed, quick off the mark, very comfy and handled very well for a standard car, didn't think the economy was that bad, no worse than my saxo at the time was!
doogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
sandy309

User Gallery
Thank YOU for the reminder Stinaris! A friend of mine has a TT engine in his Mk2 Golf (rapid!) and it ate coilpacks, he used to keep a couple in the boot! He's switched it to a coilpack and leads, which solved it.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #14
R9 PUG

User Gallery
hm not a good bit of feedback here, my mum doesnt drive fast anyways so handeling etc wouldnt matter to her. i was trying to persuade her to get 1 of the A4 avants

22k starting price tho whereas the A3 is around 15
R9 PUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:45 AM   #15
sandy309

User Gallery
Middle management wife beater wagon.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #16
jameshilton
NORTH WEST GROUP LEADER & FORUM MODERATOR

User Gallery
oy!!! lol...

nice car - its the 130bhp 1.9TDI Quattro mine.
tell her not to buy new... no point taking the hit on depreciation. I got mine from Audi with 1 yr warranty and 2 yr free servicing.
jameshilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #17
Harper

User Gallery
I dont believe any of the hype about the VAG groups "quality". We have a 05 plate golf traded in and i had to give it a sales check, and i wasnt overly impressed at all, it felt no more soid or well screwed together than my focus. Sure, they use soft touch materials for the upper dashboard section (so does the peugeot 307) and damped everything, but this doesnt make a quality car, just a percieved image which people fall for.

If you want reliability, go jap, no question. the only problems we get on the mazda's is where the ford sourced components fail, nothing of their in house bits ever go wrong.

If you want quality, also go jap. They might not have the "percieved image" of the vw stuff, but yes, the mazda 3 has doors that shut with a nice thud and damped grab handles/cup holders/glovebox lid etc etc

If you want fun, get something older as not many new cars are fun. unless she can stretch to 20k + for a mazda mps (3 or 6), focus ST etc etc
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #18
sandy309

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshilton View Post
oy!!! lol...
Don't hit me!

In this weeks Autocar they have the survey results from Warranty direct (3-9 years old cars).....

1st Mazda, claim rate 8.04%
2nd Honda, claim rate 8.90%
3rd Toyota, claim rate 15.78%
-
-
10th Citroen, claim rate 25.98% (Highest French)
-
16th Porsche, claim rate 27.48% (Highest German)
17th Fiat, claim rate 28.49% FFS! (Highest Italian)
-
21st Rover, claim rate 30.12% (Highest UK, although most recent Honda Civics and Accords are UK built)
-
23rd VW, claim rate 31.44% (Highest VAG)
-
25th Skoda, claim rate 32.12% (Slipped badly recently)
-
27th Audi, claim rate 36.74%