home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

Suspension, Handling & Brakes Suspension set ups, uprated brakes

Old 18-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Dieseldave
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Power steering question

Where does the electric pump get its feed from? Is it linked in with engine revs?

I noticed on my rally car on tight bends or around a chicane where there is low revs
that the steering gets very heavy.

Is there any way around this? Direct feed from battery or something.
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Garry.M
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
its a "characteristic" bud,,, I've not heards of a good way around the problem . Thats why I'm now looking at a Corsa EPC on one of the other projects .
Garry.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Dieseldave

User Gallery
I was thinking about a quick rack and Corsa setup myself.

The last day I was out I had a civic cought on the stage, we came into a sq right,sq left around
bales and he was gone off up the road when I was still hanging out of my steering wheel and swearing.
Old 19-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
I've noticed recently when i've borrowed my brothers saxo for auto tests that when you turn from lock to lock (S'ing around the cones) when you turn back from full lock it goes really stiff and then after that initial stiffness the power steering is back. I think it is all with the fluid changing direction and having to travel a long way through the pipes myself. In a word it's pants! No pas all the way used to love my rallyes steering.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Garry.M
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
no pas and a plate diff on moulded slicks = slower stage times or a crash !
Garry.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
I don't know what spec the guy is running as the spec hasn't been given. I was just saying that the non pas set up was the right set up for me.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
I think corsa b power steering would be the way forward Dave. Much lighter item too and adjustable on the switch, this is certainly what I'll be doing!
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Yea, I'm going to gather steering and suspension bits and do a little stage 2 build over the winter.

I never liked the big pump hanging out over the front and the two pipes going across the gearbox
are always in the way and look untidy.