home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

Suspension, Handling & Brakes Suspension set ups, uprated brakes

Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
lukem30
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Which rear shocks for my road rally car

After the rally I did last night with a lot of rough gravel mileage my pug sport rear shocks are sagging and are sitting on the bump stops. Can I get them refurbed or do you think it would be more worthwhile getting something different. I need them to be good on both gravel and Tarmac as most events are mixed surface. Just wondering what other people are running on their rally cars and if anyone can recommend me something?
Thanks
lukem30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Mike_Roberts
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Which pugsport shocks are you running? The gravel (blue capped) bilstein group n seem to be up to the job from what I've heard, can handle up to 22mm torsion bars. They also do the black capped tarmac spec ones, but they're also twice the price, and I imagine they wouldn't cope well with the rough whites on some road rallies.
Mike_Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Huliblus
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
Errr... I have black capped gravel bilsteins

I thought the part ending -0 or -1 tells if it's gravel or tarmac. The black capped are "the real" bilsteins, with bigger oil capacity and better shimming. Anyway, i can recommend these gravel spec bilsteins for anyone as a budget solutions! Of course they are not as good as 3-way proflex, but cost is also 3 times smaller.. So make your choice ;>

I'm running very soft suspension ( Original springs and Torsion bars ) but it's unbelievable good on gravel. On tarmac it's way too soft, but i'm not doing tarmac rallys in Finland as the most of our roads are gravel surfaced.

Hope it helps you a bit !

-Huli
Huliblus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
toger131

User Gallery
Ye Bilstein motorsport gravel and tarmac dampers are black capped and have a 0 or a 1 the blue ones are group n and normal uprated road ones

as for the back been on the bump stops this is related to the torsion bar not the damper its the bar that alters the ride heigh the damper just controls the spring ossolation or how ever you spell it lol

It can alter it very slightly due to gas pressure but not worth talking about imo

Si
toger131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
welshpug

User Gallery
the dampers dont control the ride height, so if its on the bump stops you need to adjust the height or change the torsion bars.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Gaz can refurb them, if that's what you decide on.
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Huliblus

User Gallery
I would personally recommend refurbing them ^^ PS stuff is really good! The mechanic inside the damper is very interesting ( have seen inside it )
Huliblus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
lukem30

User Gallery
Thanks for the input,
They are pug sport gravel spec dampers, they have the bump stop built in and currently they are sitting on them. I didn't think that the tortion bars would loose their "spring" thats why i thought dampers. I am currenly using standard tortion bars and gti ARB, so replacing the standard bars with newer standard bars should cure my problem then? Is there anything else it could be?
Mike, do you know a rough price on how much gaz are charging for re-furbs?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
As we talked about today i really think the bars are fucked as they have a constant hammering. If you adjust the torsion bar height like welsh pug said i think you will just end up snapping a torsion bar and pit yourself in a whole load of shite. If the bars have lost their 'temper' they won't last much longer. If you had leaf springs you could get them re-tempered but i'm unsure if this is the case with the torsion bars.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
And for the expense of a pair of 19mm bars it's probably not worth the effort anyway.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
welshpug

User Gallery
I'd be looking to use larger bars TBH, 19mm is a bit weedy!
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
I got a beam here Luke if you want to rob torsion bars off it.

Free collected as its taking up space! Good solid sport beam.

Also got some 21mm bars for sale at 1 millions pounds!
curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
lukem30

User Gallery
thanks mate, are you sure you don't want to part with the 21mm bars? the xsi is going nowhere fast