home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

Suspension, Handling & Brakes Suspension set ups, uprated brakes

Old 21-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
chrissyboy08
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Tracking help please

I need some help/opinions on tracking
I'm finding it hard because of the spec, I've tried parallel, and it's currently toe'ing out 10mins

I find it drifting as I accelerate, for example I went to overtake a lorry last night as I was going from a 40 to a 60 duel carriage way, and as I turned a bit it really pulled and tried to keep turning more. Felt close to loosing control cause I was shifting up gears.
Also whilst generally driving about you can really feel the car trying to pull either direction. And the wheel has a lot of movement.

Maybe I should explain the spec a bit more lol

I have gaz golds, with 300lb springs, I'm running now arb, and Peugeot sport top mounts.
Combined with 2.5 neg degrees of camber, I also have a lower brace and polyrace wishbone bushes which were fitted with new wishbones, it also has new track rod ends

So I've practically replaced everything so I know there shouldn't be anything parts wise at fault. But I had a feeling the tracking is still out but I really don't know where to start or what to do/try next

I've spoke to GAZ today, and the guy there recommended I toe out about 2-3mm (not sure what that is in degs/mins) and make sure I keep the rear end 10mm higher than the front, cause my car is currently level, now I actually was going to raise the car front and rear next week when I fit my new bars, and raise the front a touch too as I'm about 45mm down all round, so was aiming for 30mm on front and maybe 20mm lower than standard on the rear.

So that would eliminate that option? Well apart from the tracking.

I thought that was ok, but then I thought I'd give Andy a ring at AB Motorsport for his advice as he's local to me and raced 205's for a very long time and building these cars too so thought I'd ask for his opinion.

He then told me my problem was the polyrace wishbone bushes and to remove them for standard Peugeot ones and if I still have a slight issue try toe'ing in about 1mm

So going from that I'm really confused on what to do, do I toe in do I toe out? I feel I should go with GAZ's recommendations since they built the sus and developed it but then I know Andy is good at what he does and after what he said about the wishbone bushes.

Any help opinions would be greatly appreciated as id like to get this sorted, cause I feel it's a bit dangerous sometimes lol also all being well I'll be on track in november so would like to get it done before then so I can get a bit more used to the car if you get me.
chrissyboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
blakeyrallye
ILoveRacing

User Gallery
why so much neg camber? i run 1.5 neg degrees and 1.5 degrees toe'ing out ...... seems to work fine! front wheel drives tend to pull the toe'ing out straight under power
blakeyrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
chrissyboy08

User Gallery
That's what came with the sus, I bought them from someone else tbh, a friend locally has the same camber and said it was fine.
Although my next investment at some point will be ast top mounts to give me the adjustment of camber and maybe reduce it a touch lol.
I see, so 10mins is next to nothing compared to 1.5deg lol
I think I'll have a go at toe'ing out that much see how I get on

Thanks for that

What's your opinion on the whole polybush situation?
Old 21-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
Before doing any suspension mods i would poly bush the whole car as you know them bushes are all matched and in the same condition. Poly bushes are a vital part of any suspensions set up. You could be running proflex on your car but if you have shagged out old rubber bushes on the car its going to do what i wants.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
chrissyboy08

User Gallery
Already got poly bushes all round
Bought them all last year at the kit car show at stoneleigh, yet did a deal on the polyrace wishbone bushes and beam bushes, the beam bushes were fitted about 6months ago along with a freshly rebuilt beam with 21mm bars, and wishbone poly race bushes went on about 2 month before the beam bushes.

The arb bushes were the powerflex blackshore ones which were stiffer than the purple ones I though they'd match the poly race. But now I have no arb so don't need to worry about them.
These arb bushes are for sale aswell if anyone is interested.

AB Motorsport was telling me to only remove the front wish one polyrace bushes cause theyre shit and refit new original Peugeot ones on

Last edited by chrissyboy08; 22-09-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
welshpug
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
yup id go with that, genuine pug bushes are very good.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Dave P
Hillclimb Nutter

User Gallery
What tyres/pressures are you using? Don't go for big toe out! It's probably the neg camber that's causing it.
Old 22-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
chrissyboy08

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshpug View Post
yup id go with that, genuine pug bushes are very good.
I see, so te poly race bushes really ain't all that then? Would I see much improvement going back to original Peugeot ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
What tyres/pressures are you using? Don't go for big toe out! It's probably the neg camber that's causing it.
I'm using 195/55/15 R888 for track which I was advised to run at 26psi so I'm running them at that
Then I have 195/45/15 uniroyal rainsport 2 Tyres for on the road which at just at the standard psi which 32 I think, I just set the road Tyres to what ever Haynes say for the Vts since they're same size standard.

Ahh right, so it's probably a mixture of the tracking and camber? So maybe reduce the camber and look at tracking?

I was going to give the car a try at what gaz shocks say, side I'm only out 10mins, they said try 2-3mm which works out roughly 20-30mins, if the rule of 6mm to a degree is true.

What would you recommend tracking wise just out of curiosity dave?