home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics

General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics Anything general car related in here!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
hsustyle
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Impreza Sti vs 16v Rallye?

Please help me settle this pub dispute..
My best mate just got himself a 1996 Impreza Sti and confidently claims it could lap Brands Hatch Indy circuit faster than my Rallye.

Now I've never drive one, been a passenger or even tried to bother one on public roads.

Scenario is- Brands Indy circuit, dry day.
Which would be quicker?

Impreza is standard apart from turbo timer, turbo back exhaust, dump valve and some fancy boost controller.
On stock suspension and T1R tires.

Mine in summary

1.6 16v two pronged
Orange banded injectors
Heatwrapped Raceland 4-2-1 manifold with thermotec exhaust wrap coating/sealant
Raceland enclosed W. Green cotton filter
2 " PUGSPORT

transmission-
Peugeot Sports ratio gearset + Vts final drive
Satchshift

Suspension-
Custom Skip Brown 155lb Roadsport Front Springs -30mm
fully adjustable Avo Dampers front and rear
Standard Rear TBs/ARB
polybushed rear beam, anti roll bar bushes and wishbones

Omp lower strut brace

Brakes-
266mm Lucas calipers
Braided lines front
saxo Vts Brake servo

Parada Spec2s
12 point saftey devices roll cage
Fully stripped and feels very light.

Last edited by hsustyle; 01-06-2013 at 11:36 PM.
hsustyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
130hp on what, 850kg with driver? = 153bhp/ton. Subaru is approx 270hp in 1300kg with driver = 207bhp/ton. Even with a 4WD system sucking some power down I'd be surprised if a Rallye could beat it down the straights. Once you're in the bends then it's a different story!

Complicated question, easiest way is to get on a trackday and see what you can both do.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
welshpug
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
If they can drive, no contest.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
richair

User Gallery
Tricky one, but from my experience when having dingdongs on track against impreza's albeit not in a 106, but in well spec's lightweight fwd cars the scoobs have been very quick indeed. Don't forget as a reasonably high-end homologation car they have lots of right oily bits from the factory to make them quick on Tarmac out of the box.

I think I would have to say the scoob would have the edge mainly due to much better traction off the apex. Get on track with him and see
richair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
matty_d

User Gallery
Scooby I'm afraid! Can get on the power sooner with more of it to give. Driven one around a track and was far quicker in that than anything else I drove that day. They are pretty easy to drive fast as well with the 4WD. Just my opinion though...
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Neb

User Gallery
If its a 280bhp version with the bits mentioned above its probably now running close to 300. Plus he's got the diffs as well and the 4pots.

At brands on the Indy you would get close to him but on the straights he'd pull from you so you'd need to be brave on the brakes! As Harv said need to get out there and set some times. Let me know if you are going up, I'd like to tag along for a few laps.

I never driven a scooby on a track but plenty on the road and its got the Rallye beat pretty much anywhere. I fancy an early wrx ra next, once the French bug has worn off. For the money you can't really get a better point to point car.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
hsustyle

User Gallery
Cheers for the replies guy. Must say it does launch out of corners like a rocket! He just took me for a quick spin.
We are both planning a session at Brands in a few weeks so I'll let you guys know.

He bought the Scoobie after we spent ages thinking about what's the best value performance for around 2grand and my money was, predictably, a well sorted 106.

He then raised a good point.. Mine is uncomfortable, loud, old, has had a fair bit spent to make it a capable little car.
The Scoobie is ready, out the box, WITH rear seats and other gadgets.

He is however not the best driver and not very ballsy. I know track days are not about racing or timing laps but there is always an element of healthy competition so I look forward to seeing the outcome.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
welshpug

User Gallery
thing is there's actually not a lot on yours that makes it any quicker at all than a standard GTi or a VTS, certainly a poor tyre choice for track as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
hsustyle

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
thing is there's actually not a lot on yours that makes it any quicker at all than a standard GTi or a VTS, certainly a poor tyre choice for track as well.
Really? It's a hell of a lot quicker than any standard gti or vts. It's fairly light and the engine feels very eager. It pulls on a mates 197 and ep3 CTR so I believe it has the edge on a Gti.

Power wise it's nothing special at all but it handles very well and just how I like it. Tires hmm, they came with the wheels and I can't really complain.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
welshpug

User Gallery
its light, but that's about it really!

if I paint my injectors orange will I go faster too? unless the ecu is mapped or they are std, they will more than likely make it slower...

granted, these engines do respond well do a decent manifold and good induction.

Different servo wont make you faster, bigger heavier brakes will actually slow you down
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
hsustyle

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
its light, but that's about it really!

if I paint my injectors orange will I go faster too? unless the ecu is mapped or they are std, they will more than likely make it slower...

granted, these engines do respond well do a decent manifold and good induction.

Different servo wont make you faster, bigger heavier brakes will actually slow you down
It's a Rallye, aren't they all about power to weight? I like the engine as it is. It's quick for what it is and I like it that way. Not even sure if I'd want it a great deal quicker in a straight line anyway. Seems a nice balance as it is.

The 266s,dont weigh huge amounts. Bugger saving could come from different wheels no doubt.

Has orange injectors as std, and slightly more cc that the green ones. Does it make any difference? I'm really not sure it does but hey.
Bigger brake servo was to change the feel of the pedal to what I like and it did just that.

This has gone off topic. All I was enquiring about is how a light (ish) S1 would compare to point to point on a track.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Garry.M

User Gallery
If you'd had some catcams,cupcar ecu or a remapped one xsi 4.3 final drive, lsd, stiffer springs and a bigger rear arb - then I'd say around the likes of Knockhill I've found this state of tune can embarrass this type of car. The Scooby suffers from bad understeer and would only have the advantage of the straights to "get away" +it also depends of the drivers on both cars
Garry.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
hsustyle

User Gallery
Cheers Garry, I'll bear that in mind although I'm planning to just leave it how it is for now. I do however have a 1.4xsi FD in my garage, might just do something with that. Car is currently in Daily use, any more changes and i'll get start hating it for its lack of comforts