home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > 106 Rallye Chat & Topics

106 Rallye Chat & Topics Specific Rallye related chat and discussions only please!

Old 20-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Wizz
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Arrow M569 HAC S1 106 Rallye Group N Restoration

Just wanted to introduce myself and start a new build thread on this little beaut.

I know a couple of people on here used to own this Rallye as I have seen the historic threads and builds (very interesting and informative).

She is in need of some serious TLC, however due to being dry stored for 15 years she has absolutely no rot or rust (that we can see).

Plan is to send to SPL for Acid Dip, Seam Weld and any Repairs, Anti-Corrosion Seal the whole car, Respray, Rebuild Engine/Gearbox and get her back to Group N standard. She will be a Concours example of an Original Group N when shes finished.

Looks like she was Group N converted a year after first registration and has only done 10k original miles from new.

Any more info or pictures on this vehicle will be appreciated and stay tuned for build progress.

These images are her current state, just started stripping her for SPL.

Wizz
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Cris B
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
Can’t see any pics?

There’s not much love for acid dipping on here and I think the jury is still out on the benefits for monocoque chassis construction.

Before commiting I’d suggest getting an endoscope and checking the sills as these rot from the inside out. This looked fine from the outside...

Dipping is an expensive way to go and not worth it if the car is crusty inside...
Old 20-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
chatie1975

User Gallery
Another one against dipping here, I have seen some horrors over the years of the aftermath of dipping a shell, blasting is a much better way of cleaning up a shell
chatie1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
Dieseldave

User Gallery
i know a guy who did a nut & bolt restoration a beautiful E30 M3 (famous build thread on the net)
He had the shell acid dipped, not only did they damage the brand new non sunroof roof skin he
fitted but the shell started to rot from the inside out after a year.

There is no way you can ever replace all the factory sealer and wax inside the panels and on the panel
joints. The acid will remove sealer inside between wheel tubs & quarter panels for example and it
will never be right again.
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote