home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South Wales

South Wales Swansea, Cardiff, Newport

Old 21-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #51
lukem30
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
little update, finally put an entry in for a road rally, will be doing the holrus novice rally in august. If anyone else has been thinking of starting road rallying this would be the prefect event to start on, 100% tarmarc and no spotlights allowed, reasonable entry fee and open to beginners and novices only atm. I've only got a few little nigly bits to sort on the car, but looking forward to getting some use out of it.
lukem30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #52
Exxy51
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Il be navigating for a friend in a black s1 106 rallye so il see you there!
Exxy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #53
lukem30

User Gallery
tidy, see you there then. Have you done may events before + what tyres will you be useing?
Old 26-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #54
M@X

User Gallery
Good luck to you mate. I would use worn A035's but a lot of people also like the 21r's
I also find the kumho R800s very good.
M@X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #55
lukem30

User Gallery

Had a really good night out on the Holrus, really chuffed to get a finish as it was my first event, we ended up 18th overall and 4th in class.
Really well organised fun rally with a variety of roads, surfaces and farmyards - which were good fun. My a048's didn't like mud and the wet but thats all i could get hold of.
Car ran well and didn't pick up any damage which is a bonus. Hopefully we can get an entry for the Sarn Helen in October.

Last edited by lukem30; 15-08-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 16-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #56
matt.f
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
Well done.AO35's for next one
matt.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #57
nathan 1
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
hi mate just looked u only in nelson I'm in blackwood if Ur ever stuck for bits give us a bell got loads ya .iv 106 gti rally car . when i was road rallying my 205 depending what time of year it was we went with soft Forrest tyres got 2 ya if you want them 2 try ? up for mud rain and welsh roads joy the ao21r not bad but £90 a go and same as the ao48 l think ??? that was a top result for first rally well done
nathan 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #58
lukem30

User Gallery
Thanks guys, i think its a credit to newton and district motor club that so many novices finished, top event, will be on the list for next year.
Definately need to sort out some tidy tyres, i think i am going to try some a021r's next as i belive the sarn helen is tarmarc, not to badly priced at farefield (£70 a corner).

Thanks nathan, how much do you want for the forest tyres and what make are they, they would be really handy with the winter comeing up. Just seen your thread on your gti, looks a really nice car, what events are you planning to do?
Old 17-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #59
priceys pug

User Gallery
good finish luke are you going to do the malky rally thats a fun night event.
priceys pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #60
lukem30

User Gallery
would love to do the malky as thats our most local event but i'm on holiday for it, the twilight is only a few days before i go away the beginning of septemeber so i'm quite fancying that, looks a good event - 80 miles on closed roads in caerwent
Old 17-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #61
nathan 1

User Gallery Car Blog
twilight the 1 mate keep it clean . malky done 6 or more times always ruff as f__k and old bill from not PR ING THE ROUTE . trying to sort car for rallyday good testing day for £100 and the buzz of it all
what size rims you runing in not sure if 14 or 15 will see 2mozz there my be 4 there u can have them if any good to you
Old 18-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #62
lukem30

User Gallery
Think i'm going to put in and entry for the Twilight. Rallyday is a good day out, don't think i will be takeing the car this year. Thanks, any forest tyres will be helpful, my rims are 14's
Old 18-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #63
Lee Edwards

User Gallery
Well done on the holrus mate, i was going to come up and have a watch but i didnt in the end. you should put an entry in for the breiden, it starts in oswestry.

iv used 21's for a while now, really good tyres not matter what the conditions (well except the snow "i found out the hard way")
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #64
lukem30

User Gallery

Had another really enjoyable day and night saturday on the Twilight. The day was like a stage rally with 6 runs through caerwent on closed roads and in the night it went back to standard road rally format, 2 for the price of 1 Had a few moments in caerwent, bucked a few steels and bent the rear axle which caused the rears to lock 4 a few miles but it didn't end our rally. Then on to the night section with our only problem being another buckled steel which resulted in a pucture, but we got back on our way and manged 12th o/a and first in class, so on to the semi experts next
Old 16-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #65
nathan 1

User Gallery Car Blog
sorry not got back 2 you been busy with car and work and separation had a look at tyres they are 15s 4 off sozz you can still have them if you want.congragulasns on twilight going well .
Old 18-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #66
lukem30

User Gallery
Thanks mate but I won't waste ur time as I don't run 15's but thanks for the offer.

Found our I got an entry for the Sarn Helen today so can't wait for that, just got a few repairs to do after the curbs on the twilight
Old 22-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #67
lukem30

User Gallery
Managed to finish the sarn helen last weekend, great no nonsence rally. Had a few problems before the rally where i ended up changeing the rear caliper, disks, pads, brake pipes, stub axles, hub and both driveshafts but managed to get it finished the night before.
Didn't have a great finish on the rally (7th in class) as we made a few mistakes - 2 big wrong slots - but it was great fun even tho the resulst wasn't what we hoped for. Car ran great up until petrol when the spots failed but apart from that it was faultless. I found the a021r's to be brilliant in the lanes, will definately use next time. Got a few niggly things to sort before the next event -

Raise rear
Fit tank guard
Find electrical fault
Find knocking in rear

Here are a few pics

Old 14-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #68
priceys pug

User Gallery
are you booked in for the auto test on the 2nd of january. i booked in today for it should be good fun
Old 16-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #69
lukem30

User Gallery
Ye I'm in, and so is John and his brother. I think a few of the boys are going from work to. Looking forward to it now. Is ur old man in aswell?
Old 16-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #70
priceys pug

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem30 View Post
Ye I'm in, and so is John and his brother. I think a few of the boys are going from work to. Looking forward to it now. Is ur old man in aswell?
yeah he's doin it 2 should be a good day
Old 17-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #71
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
send me a link to the fb page of entries luke.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #72
lukem30

User Gallery
http://www.ystradmynachmotorclub.co.uk
It's on the homepage mate
Old 23-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #73
nathan 1

User Gallery Car Blog
come on tell us what went on at the test >??????
Old 23-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #74
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Haha do you really want to know?
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

Old 26-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #75
lukem30

User Gallery
I was leasurly driving round a corner minding my own business when a skip jumped out in front of me all fixed now and ready for action, will hopefully be out on the gremlin next, the beginning of march I think.
Old 31-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #76
lukem30

User Gallery
Haven't done a propper update in a while, so here goes...

Started of the year with two autotest both didn't go well. At the first one the emergency cut out stoped the car half way through a test after a little jump, after i figured out the problem we were last and a fair bit off everybody else, so with no chance of a good result i got a bit over excited on the handbrake and slid sideways into a skip , also hit the front wing on something too. So the car went to the bodyshop to have the rear quarter done and i got it back in time for another autotest. After the first test i could smell fuel so i oppened the bonnet for a look and found fuel gushing out of the injector. I done a temp fix with some cable ties and went home. After a look on the forum i found that my injectore didn't have any clips on them, so after a trip to peugeot thats all sorted, so hopefully thats my bad luck out of the way. Here are a few pic of the first autotest -

All fixed now though Just waiting for a brand new headlight, some new mudflaps and some tiger seal to bond the arch back on

Old 31-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #77
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
After asking me about the injector clips you mean

Old 31-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #78
lukem30

User Gallery
Forgot to mention i spoke to the 106 Yoda first
Old 31-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #79
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Lol i forgot the part number though . That rear quater is looking great too fair play!

Old 31-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #80
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
I did hear about the skip incident

Repair looks top notch.
curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #81
lukem30

User Gallery
Actually finished an autotest without incident last weekend, no damage, no problems

I also changed my pads to ferrodo ds2500 all round and first impression of them are awesome, I thought my previous set up of ebc and omp were good but these ferodos feel great, even the pedal feels a lot firmer. I've only just bedded them in, true test will be my next rally the beggining of march. This how my old pads came out, they were crumbling away

Old 20-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #82
blakeyrallye
ILoveRacing

User Gallery
your autotests look awesome compared to ours... where are they?
blakeyrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #83
lukem30

User Gallery
They are really good fun, nothing like the autotests I have known previously - drivin round cones in a carpark, more like a mini rally. A few different clubs run them, Blackwood, ystrad mynach and epynt motor club do them locally.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #84
lukem30

User Gallery
On Saturday we done the gremlin road rally, really we'll organised event with a good variety of roads and surfaces, really enjoyed this event. Car was faultless yet again, the new ferrodo pads were awesome-no fade all nite and a consistently firm pedal with plenty of bite, hot and cold. It was our first run in class two and we were really happy to finish 29th o/a and 6th in class on a championship round with 90 entry's. A few small wrong slots and a fair few overshoots means there's plenty of room for improvement for the next event which will hopefully be the bro teifi in April. Hopefully I'll get the tank guard on by them so I don't have to be so cautious on the whites. Here are a few pics:

Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #85
scottmmw

User Gallery
looks good fun! keep it up...
Old 28-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #86
lukem30

User Gallery
Another little update
Really havn't had much to do to the car lately, it's been running well so I finally managed to do one of the jobs I've never got round to, put the tank guard on.

I was toying with the idea of selling the car and going for something rwd, but now decided to spend a bit more money on the car and make it better starting with a gripper plated diff with a mega low cwp which is on it's way atm.
Think in also going to invest in some uprated torsion bars and some cams when my current box sells.

Last edited by lukem30; 28-03-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #87
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Mmmmmm tit is the way!

;-)

Last edited by freddy6868; 28-03-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #88
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
Loving the pics mate, Didn't realise Brian Gilbert went down your neck of the woods. What Road Rallies were those pics from?
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #89
Freitas

User Gallery
awesome pics,
the car looks good
Freitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #90
lukem30

User Gallery
Thanks guys,
Brian Gilbert has been out on all the rallies i've done - the Holrus, Twilight, Sarn Helen and Gremlin.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #91
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
Yeah he seems to get about! I've done the Twilight and the Gremlin myself. Have you ever done any further towards Mid Wales?
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #92
lukem30

User Gallery
Nothing further up, don't like to travel to far tbh, once i've tried all the event near i expect i will start trying events a bit further away.

My gearbox arrived this week so ive finally got it up and running with a new rubber ball selecting unit to to get rid of some of the play. I've only driven it locally as my tax is up but first impressions are really good, it feels savage compared to the quaiffe, i think it will take a bit of getting used to as it pulls the car everywhere but when you point it where you want to go, hold on to it, and floor it, it goes there. Looking forward to giving a a good run when i get some tax on it.

Here is the spec of the box from the advert

"S1rallye gearbox fitted with gripper plate lsd , just rebuilt with new plates, new croenwheels and pinion fitted 14/64 , new baulk rings fitted comes with spare longer ratio crownwheel and pinion (14/60) , cost £1400 to build"

Old 03-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #93
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Shotgun passenger ride
Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #94
lukem30

User Gallery
are you thinking of getting a diff on the xsi? when i get some tax on it you can have a go, john popped down for a quick go, i wouldn't let him go very fast tho as i'm a really bad passenger.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #95
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Diff would be lovely on the XSi. But aiming to just get it up and running for the time being.

I wouldn't let John go too fast either, cant trust him, especially when he tries to show off to lil 1.0 saxo's
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #96
lukem30

User Gallery
very true haha
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #97
freddy6868

User Gallery Car Blog
Was very impressed with the diif fair play it did try to break my wrist when i held on with one hand :-0. It will make a hell of a difference on the slippery stuff. I miss my 106 now! But that feeling will be gone when i hear them twin 45's snorting with over 200bhp under the bonnet.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #98
lukem30

User Gallery
Will be looking forward to having a go of the van now
Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #99
lukem30

User Gallery
Bit of a change of plan lately. The head gasket needed changing on my j4 and John suggested picking up a cheap jp4 instead of spending money on the j4. John kept on saying how much better they are and in the end I gave in and bought a jp4 which he kindly delivered. Currently in the middle of the swap. I also plan to put power steering in at the same time while the engines out, and I'm going the treat the rust in the bay then blue hammerite it.

Here are a few pics, will update properly when its all done.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #100
lukem30

User Gallery
While the engine it out I treated any surface rust with hammerite k-rust and then "indigo blue" hammerited the rest of the bay for some protection. Just waiting on a column, pedal box and altinator before I put the whole lot back in.