home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics

General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics Anything general car related in here!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #51
sandy309
106 RALLYE REGISTER ENGINE TECHNICAL ADVISOR

User Gallery
Packaging I should think, boot space and having a simpler to fit sub assembly in production.

The new Civic has a torsion beam, not torsion bars.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #52
80WYA
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy309 View Post
The new Civic has a torsion beam, not torsion bars.
so a big swinging gurder with turrets?
80WYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #53
sandy309

User Gallery
LoL, a little more delicate than that perhaps! Bizarrely, the JDM model has traditional Honda "wishbones" rear.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #54
Nick c
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Looking forward to seeing this out on track - another great build!!

Nick

[URL=http://www.nick-charles.co.uk]www.nick-charles.co.uk[/URL][/B]
Nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #55
Dj_mini
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80WYA View Post
andy baker of ab motorsport doest rate turreting, standard beam with 306 trailing arms (slight toe in, more neg camber) running proflex or AST are far better in his opinion. and jesus his car seems to handle places like epynt pritty damn well!
I had the big beam set up on my last car (23mm tb's 25mm arb zx trailing arms) this worked well but after talking to colin the best / cheapest way to get the adjustability to fine tune it in the rear was to go for turrets.
All the people iv spoken to have been very happy with colins set ups iv yet to try it so cant comment yet.

Iv seen andys car at a few events he does go bloody well! he couldnt turret even if he wanted to as the new blue book states you cant move / change the production mounting points although his car is already logbooked so could get around it for the time being.
Dj_mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #56
c_robinson

User Gallery
yep, andy could turret the rear and the car would be legal untill 2010 or 2012, however running the suspenson he now is, he's finally got it dialed in perfectly for epynt, and his stage times/results prove that!
c_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #57
80WYA

User Gallery
he said he much prefers it to the two turreted cars hes had, and talkin to the scruts, theres no check in the log bookin procedure and if u use the original beam/trailing arm and just mount the coil over from that arm to a turret they see no reason why it cant be done?
80WYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #58
.ash.
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
beast!!!!
.ash. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #59
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Well after talking to sandy / john read its was agreed that it would be a wise move to get a baffle kit just to be on the safe side as theres alot of time / money built in to the engine.

So i ordered the peugeot sport kit from france over 300 but does look a good bit of kit and came from france in two days! shame uk companies cant give that type of service

Also had my new starter turn up so starting shouldnt be a problem this year as last year with my old engine hot and std starter it wasnt keen on restarting. Iv not weighed the std and the new one so not sure if its any lighter yet

Not made much progress with the rest of the car as iv been busy with other jobs and with the state of the car at the mo it doesnt look like ill be making it to landow now
Old 14-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #60
4D

User Gallery
Dan, shame you can't make Llandow, Would you let me know when the car has it's inaugural outing, as I would like to be there.

Old 15-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #61
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
It was awsome down Llandow last year it was flying!

Looking forward to seeing this new car go!!!
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Last edited by freddy6868; 15-03-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #62
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Time for a small update my man who runs the cnc shop has finished my caliper brackets. Iv had these made as colins set up doesnt use the std 205 hub so the offset is all different and i wanted to change to the std 283mm gti6 disk as there much cheaper than the highspec items
With any luck ill have time over easter weekend to make some bigger progress

Old 19-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #63
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Rite time for an update iv managed a few days to spend some time on the car over the weekend

Iv got the engine in all my mounts seem to line up ok so with any luck there do the job iv also been busy making the oil cooler brackets and pipes:

I know theres diffrent opinions on how to do the plumbing iv gone for re angling the metal pipe that runs round the rear and blanking off the outlet on it then i welded a union to the stat housing to reduce the pipe size down.

Iv also finished my rear brakes the machinest has cut my brackets and bell's out perfectly iv only cocked up one measurment so will hav another set cut once im happy there work all ok. Im using a bike 4pot caliper and disk they weigh alot less than the standard set up so long as they work ok ill be happy then the time and major pain the ass will be worth it.

Old 19-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #64
shenparbitch
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & ThunderCnut

User Gallery
a major unsprung mass saving in that rear brake caliper setup....

the build looks great must be a major sense of acheivement opening the garage door and seeing it??
shenparbitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #65
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Is that a motorbike set-up on the rear?
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #66
sandy309

User Gallery
Shame you can't see the pink injectors very well
Old 19-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #67
sandy309

User Gallery
I don't normally speak publicly about the problems I have with parts quality, but the business of Dan's cam pulleys has tipped me outside my usual discretion.

When we had the engine on the Dyno and I was in the cell balancing the TBs, I noticed the inlet pulley had a very distinct wobble. We stopped the engine and got a dial gauge on it to check the run out; a slightly alarming 30 thou was evident! The exhaust one showed about 10 thou too. John Read showed up and was pulling strange faces at it and assuming there was perhaps an obvious cause for this, we took time out to take the pulleys off and check if there was anything causing the pulleys not to seat on the cams properly; there wasn't anything. I re-fitted the pulleys and re-timed the cams, not an easy task on this engine, because of the valve proximity on overlap, the timing needs to be extremely precisely set and triple checked. Downtime on the dyno is often part of the "fun", but expensive and very frustrating when it's caused by a quality issue beyond your control. We had to continue as it was, because although unacceptable long term, in the short term it was unlikely to be an problem and we had to use that slot to get it done, because of all the other work John, Alvin and I had backed up behind it.
Dan informed the supplier of the issue and they sent out two new pulleys, which they assured him they had checked on their lathe to be true. The old pulleys went back.
I went up to Dan's to fit the new pulleys and time the cams up again, a 280 mile round trip, made slightly easier by seeing the Jacob's, Roser and Mr Hunt of course. I took the new pulleys on trust and fitted them without checking for run out, being a trusting soul.
Dan gets the engine in the car and after overcoming the inevitable initial start up issues, gives me the slightly un-welcome news that there's still a visible wobble, but this time most apparent on the exhaust cam. I spoke to John Read (who supplied the cams), wondering if I was going mad and it was a cam issue, but he pulled more faces and insisted that he'd never seen a wobbly cam end in recent memory; so instead of another epic trip up to Chateau Jacobs, it made sense to wait until the car came back to us, for the final suspension setting up and the mapping check in the rollers.
So today I took the pulleys off again and Colin made a dummy cam end in his Lathe, turned off without moving it, to ensure maximum true-ness and checked it to be sure, no discernible movement on a micro dial gauge. On went the inlet Pulley first, 8 thou run out. Then the exhaust Pulley, 10 thou run out. Not amused.

I'm pig sick of poor quality control (this is just one of many such issues I've had over the last year or so), it costs me my profit and takes the shine off the build for my customers.

Dan's ordered a different make, which hopefully will arrive tomorrow and put this to bed.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #68
stu wiltshire

User Gallery
Ive just found this thread and its a amazing build.

Sandy:Reading your last thread, it must be very frustrating for you.poor workmanship in the first place and then being told that the new pulleys are fine and then also being out of true.
You would think after the first ones were sent back they would double check the new ones that were being sent to you.
Well i hope everything comes together soon.
stu wiltshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #69
dave kift
SOON TO BE FREELOADER - PLEASE JOIN UP NOW!

User Gallery
sandy we wont go into my rods we got from i believe same place.
dave kift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #70
sandy309

User Gallery
Mmm, I'd sooner forget. Good luck tomorrow BTW.
Old 22-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #71
sandy309

User Gallery
I'm pleased to report it all went pretty much to plan today, checking the map in the rollers. Dan fashioned a frame to help with strapping it down, that worked like a charm. The mid range grunt is just comical and it's a bit noisy
Old 22-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #72
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Its been been down with sandy and colin all week having the shafts made and suspension set up. Colin corner weighted it and it came in it 736kg's i didnt think that was bad with 30L of fuel two seats, fire ex, light ect so under my 750kg target Now with the piper cam pulleys on all seams to be well.

Well iv been down to slightly sunnier corwall today so we can finish the mapping now its in the car.
I made up a bracket to help strap the car in the rollers as getting grip in the old car was bad so i knew it was going to be bad with the new car / engine after much piss take from sandy about my scrap heap challenge bracket it actually worked with only minnor slip up the top end. So only a final trim needed on the track first time out to get it spot on but were all but there just a few small jobs to get done
Thanks sandy and colin for your effort over the past week.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #73
Lewis

User Gallery
Any more updates on this dude? Looks good so far!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #74
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Rite time for an update, iv managed to do a test day at keevil i knew there would be problems to iron out and there was!

I only managed one lap before spining it apears the the rear brakes are to good its like ripping up the handbrake under the lighest braking so i came in and adjsuted the pedal box this helped but still no good so i made a trip to merlin and got a bias valve with this plumbed in braking was better but only possible it a straight line as the rear would come round very easly but good enough to get through the day. I managed to get 5 laps in before getting black flagged they pulled me in and said the exhaust was too loud so that was the end of monday bugger!

On to tuesday i managed to get a free day at combe as long as i did some passenger rides massive thanks to crescent suzuki for sorting that day out!
On the monday night i replaced the rear brakes for some std ones so i could use the car on this day i also repacked the back box to reduce the noise.
At combe the big test and the repacking had done the trick it was down to 99db so good enough to run for the day
This was my first chance to drive the car hard and all can say is WOW what a change from the old car i cant explain how much better the susspension is colins set up is great and im sure with time once i get use to the car i will be able to get the most from it.
This day also showed the cars grunt it just revs out so bloody quick im just getting use to what gear i should be in as in some places im now in the next gear up from the old car the ferrari driver was surprised to see the 205 go past him.
The car performed faultlesly all day with only tyre presure needing to be adjusted up untill the last sesion out and suddenly the car developed a misfire so back in the padock i removed the plugs to find one in not so good shape so got home an did a compresion check and there was nothing on cyln 3 so clearly there is some damage i knew it would be for the best to remove the engine and take it back to sandy so thats what i did the head is off and luckly there doesnt look like to much damage just a valve and seat so once this is sorted and sandy has done a few tweeks that he wants to do ill get it back in the car and try and find what has caused the problem.
The car is also going back to maniflow to get the exhaust sorted and i didnt pay a grand for an exhaust to have it fail noise every time! im going to re think the rear brakes to see if i can get them to work correctly so a few bits to do.

A few pics from the day ill try and upload the vids soon.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #75
Lewis

User Gallery
Looks awesome mate - nice little write up there too Hope you get the bits sorted out, annoying when you get teething probs innit! Get some vids up of it too, i'm dying to hear this beast in action
Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #76
gary_j

User Gallery
Very nice car, would love to of seen the ferrari driver's face!
Whats the vent on the roof for?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #77
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_j View Post
Very nice car, would love to of seen the ferrari driver's face!
Whats the vent on the roof for?
He wasnt best pleased lol towards the end of the day as i had a bit more time in the car i could nearly keep with the lambo that was there for a whole lap

The vent is to try and keep the cabin cool as it gets unbearably hot in there. i need to fit air con
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #78
sandy309

User Gallery
Yours stayed on then?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #79
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Yeah my vent has stayed on so far lol james had even more bad luck when the bonnet flew up this week!

Quick link of the 205 @ combe
Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #80
sandy309

User Gallery
Oh no!!

Does look rapido there Dan!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #81
Lewis

User Gallery
Man that sounds naughty as fook! Lovely dude..

Bad luck on the bonnet - how the hell did it fly up even with 4 x bonnet pins?!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #82
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Man that sounds naughty as fook! Lovely dude..

Bad luck on the bonnet - how the hell did it fly up even with 4 x bonnet pins?!
the car is too fast . when i seen the old car down llandow i thought the doors would come off too! Was silly fast cant wait to see the new one round there.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #83
Lewis

User Gallery
We need some more vids I think!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #84
sandy309

User Gallery
Not before the engine's back in the car!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #85
Gus
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SCOTTISH GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
Dear god thats fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
My resolution for 2011 is to sort my fucking car
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #86
crossie

User Gallery
How did 2010 go with the car you make in updates or just track it and enjoy it?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #87
Lewis

User Gallery
Such a good car - any more progress on this of late Bj...I mean Dj?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #88
ash w
Banned

User Gallery
this 205 is awsome looks cool as fook and goes like stink
ash w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #89
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Cheeky git lewis!

I used the car a few times last year but the last time out at llandow had a big bang then clunk clunk so asumed id done a shaft but after a strip down found no problems with them. The noise sounded like it was in trans related so i removed the box and got colin to give it a once over the only problem he found was the lack of preload on the diff (even though it had supposedly been sent back to gripper for a rebuild when i had the box serviced by another pug specialist last year the wear did not reflect this!) he didnt think this would make that type of noise but couldnt find anything else wrong.

So i refitted the box then put it all back together ready for a test drive but then the engine didnt sound right turning over (slowly) i then decided to remove the plugs and turn it over by hand i could only just rotate it with a breaker bar clearly this isnt good so engine is back out ready for sandy to give it a once over
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #90
Dan!

User Gallery
What a monster!
First time I've looked at this thread, this thing must fly.
Hopefully there's nothing to seriously wrong with it.
I have to see this!
Dan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #91
scottmmw

User Gallery
Hope the engine goes well and its not to serious, i love how mean the cars looks!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #92
sandy309

User Gallery
Mighty frustrating.
Old 17-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #93
Lewis

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_mini View Post
Cheeky git lewis!

I used the car a few times last year but the last time out at llandow had a big bang then clunk clunk so asumed id done a shaft but after a strip down found no problems with them. The noise sounded like it was in trans related so i removed the box and got colin to give it a once over the only problem he found was the lack of preload on the diff (even though it had supposedly been sent back to gripper for a rebuild when i had the box serviced by another pug specialist last year the wear did not reflect this!) he didnt think this would make that type of noise but couldnt find anything else wrong.

So i refitted the box then put it all back together ready for a test drive but then the engine didnt sound right turning over (slowly) i then decided to remove the plugs and turn it over by hand i could only just rotate it with a breaker bar clearly this isnt good so engine is back out ready for sandy to give it a once over

Ah sorry to hear that buddy - hopefully it's nothing too serious It's always worrying when you have engine woes...i'm still concerned mine isn't going to be perfect when I get it rolling again. These days it's the financial strain that concerns me mostly..

On the bright side, it's in good hands anyway! At least you have a specialist of that calibre within distance.
Old 17-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #94
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Yeah tis a pain would be nice to get a full years use out of it with out issue but never seems to go that way for one reason or another! Will have to see what the damage is and go from there.
Im gona slap together a tb s1 rallye as iv always fancied one (will start a thread soon) to use for the time being as i need an induction fix and want to a full season of hillclimbing for my licence upgrade.

Stop polishing it and get on and use it!
Old 17-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #95
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Good luck with the S1.
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #96
crossie

User Gallery
Any progress with the 205?

Has sandy built you another engine?
Old 17-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #97
sandy309

User Gallery
Engine was done some time ago, but Dan's been too busy otherwise to get the car back together.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #98
scottmmw

User Gallery
Come on, where's the updates? Awesome build, just remembered it when I seem you posting!
Old 13-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #99
Dj_mini

User Gallery
Hello well i didnt touch the car for a year as i was busy with work and was comitted to helping james hunt do a full rally season so had little to no spare time or cash due to work on our house.

But this year im pleased to report there has been progress all be it not a great deal its so tight trying to get all the dry sump gubins for the new engine in the engine bay to a standard im happy with its taking for ever! I will do an update when it actually looks like iv made some progress.
Cheers Dan
Old 14-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #100
scottmmw

User Gallery
Good on ya, keep us updated!