home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > Problems, Servicing & Repairs

Problems, Servicing & Repairs Information and topics about technical problems, servicing and repairs to the Rallye

Old 05-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
S1ze matters
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Power loss after few meters

Hi, I'm having trouble with my S1 (stock) and i have to pass MOT on Friday

Yesterday i spent 10min/80km/h on the motorway to get some spare parts. When driving home, i had slight loss of power, but not constantly. After a traffic stop, all is fine, but some 3-5s. later power is down again with very slight stuttering. Revving high doesn't help.

The engine sounds fine, no warning lights. The tank is full. It starts very easily. So i guess it is something simple. If the cat is blocked, can i unblock it by removing and shaking it? I never had a cat in my hands. I am more fluent in old motorcycles...
Would a warning light pop up if the cat is blocked?

What problems can be ruled out, if the car is fine after a stop?

Thanks

took the little one out of the garage today abd everything works perfectly. pulls smoothly up till over 7k.
very strange. usually things don‘t repair by themselves. except bad fuel or too much fuel in the veins...
i am happy for the moment. anyone else had this before?

Last edited by S1ze matters; 05-05-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
S1ze matters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ze matters View Post
Hi, I'm having trouble with my S1 (stock) and i have to pass MOT on Friday

Yesterday i spent 10min/80km/h on the motorway to get some spare parts. When driving home, i had slight loss of power, but not constantly. After a traffic stop, all is fine, but some 3-5s. later power is down again with very slight stuttering. Revving high doesn't help.

The engine sounds fine, no warning lights. The tank is full. It starts very easily. So i guess it is something simple. If the cat is blocked, can i unblock it by removing and shaking it? I never had a cat in my hands. I am more fluent in old motorcycles...
Would a warning light pop up if the cat is blocked?

What problems can be ruled out, if the car is fine after a stop?

Thanks

took the little one out of the garage today abd everything works perfectly. pulls smoothly up till over 7k.
very strange. usually things dont repair by themselves. except bad fuel or too much fuel in the veins...
i am happy for the moment. anyone else had this before?
Catalytic converters generally don't get blocked on petrol engines, they get so hot they burn off nearly everything. With the symptoms you describe, I can pretty much guarantee it's not the cat.

Sounds electrical to me, check your earths are tight - and especially the battery terminals because they're garbage.

Could be a sensor or it's relevant wiring on its way out. Going to be hard to diagnose until it fails.

Might be something simple like the fuel pump failing - which is relatively easy and cheap to replace.

You'll need someone competent to look at the car physically to diagnose it correctly
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
S1ze matters

User Gallery
Thanks for your answer.

I think if it is electrical, then it will be a sensor. Ignition problems would have sounded different i imagine. more harsh, and stronger stuttering. But yeah, its only speculation.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
S1ze matters

User Gallery
update: it never happened again since.
i have no idea what it was. i have been through rain and all, but never had any problems again.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Mark H
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
The earth on mine under the battery came loose and caused a similar problem. Sometimes it made contact and worked ok. Took a while to spot it.
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote