home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > Central Counties > Central Counties Members Cars

Old 21-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Beaniemoo
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Moo's Track S2 Rallye

Thought I'd start a progress thread foy my new Rallye.
I started in French cars at 19 when I got a Saxo VTS which I loved.
Since then I've had 3x Saxo VTS's, a S1 106 Rallye and 4x Clio 172's lol
A few pictures of my old cars are on my introduction thread from when I get the S1

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...ad.php?t=76393

I did a trackday in my S1 Rallye but it seemed a little slow to be a track toy so I got myself an utterly standard Saxo VTS and decided to use it on track, thoroughly enjoying it and showing some big cars a thing or two lol!
Here's a video of my little Saxo on track:

Anyway after 4 trackday's I decided I wanted a little more poke so I got in contack with thorney on here when he was breaking his project and got hold of this, Longman tuned itb engine:

Closely followed by this close ratio LSD gearbox, also off thorney:

As well as that I have this Longman carbon fibre airbox to keep the noise of the trumpets down on track as my local circuit, Bedford, has very strict noise regulation

I also have a quick rack off the group buy from an earlier project I decided to break

But after that I went to FCS and, after seeing the Rallye's there which I love and how boring my standard Saxo seemed, I decided that I wanted something a little more special, namely a S2 Rallye.
So after a bit of hunting around I got hold of this S2 Rallye, on 138,000 miles, without a spot or rust anywhere for 1400! Well happy
Comes with Momo steering wheel, Induction kit, and sports exhaust including manifold, but he included most the standard stuff so all is good!

I'll get some better pictures up when I take some

Driving the Rallye around for a little bit, I'ver decided that the 8v engine and long steering rack just utterly aren't for me, really don't like the way it drives, especially compared to how good the VTS was , so this weekend I'm going to setabout getting the 16v engine, the gearbox and qucik rack in then get to as many trackdays as I can this year.

The basic idea of this build is to build a useable track car that actually gets used on track, doesn't spend its entire life being built and pampered, but to the same extent, not using the term 'track car' as an excuse for sub par messy, unfinished work as SOME cars seem to have

Cheers for looking,
Beaniemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Lewis

User Gallery
Looking good mate!

I can't see how different it would be to drive compared to the VTS - I mean the steering feel etc? VTS has PAS so I guess that helps?
Old 22-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
scottmmw
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Very nice mate and good plans, cant wait to see your progress! A little bit gutted that you've also got dans gearbox, i wanted that but needed to wait for payday (wedding to pay for)!!!
Old 23-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
scotty_boy6

User Gallery
So this is where dans engine went, awsome

Will keep an eye out for progress with your build and more importantly the throttle linkage that dan was using instead of the lever
scotty_boy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Looking good mate!

I can't see how different it would be to drive compared to the VTS - I mean the steering feel etc? VTS has PAS so I guess that helps?
The Saxo VTS is (in standard form) a much superior car I'd say, especially for the money (I sold a W plate VTS on 84k for 900 and bought an R plate Rallye on 134k for 1400). The 16v engine is a lot quicker and feels like it wants to rev, also the power steering means 2.5 turns lock to lock instead of the 4 turns of the manual rack in the 106, but hopefully once I'm finished the 106 will be a far superior car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmmw View Post
Very nice mate and good plans, cant wait to see your progress! A little bit gutted that you've also got dans gearbox, i wanted that but needed to wait for payday (wedding to pay for)!!!
I think I'm more excited about the box than the engine as I've already owned a 176hp Saxo (matt black show car), but that had a standard box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_boy6 View Post
So this is where dans engine went, awsome

Will keep an eye out for progress with your build and more importantly the throttle linkage that dan was using instead of the lever
Not sure if I'm running that throttle linkage on the car, as IF I want to run this airbox, I'm going to have to run the bodies up side down (injectors on the bottom) as the airbox doesn't seem to fitand thusly the linkage won't work.

Also had a couple more deliveries arrive:

An Omex 600 to get the engine running with
Will have to spend some time next week building a loom

Also, as I don't own a CD with these modern times lol I got a standard cassette player

Though it doesn't seem to clip into the dash so I guess I'm missing something needed to hold the radio in with.

Also sent the pinion for my quick rack back this morning

Cheers
Hopefully a BIG update this weekend
Old 24-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
scottmmw

User Gallery
Loving the old school casette, ive got one in my 05plate fiesta daily!
Old 26-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Big update today
Decided I was going to spend Saturday morning swapping the engines over and then work out what I still need to get and set up to get it running.
So started off getting the car in, on a ramp and started stripping

Dropped the engine out the bottom, managing to get the engine out and on the floor on my own in about an hour and a half on my own which I was pretty happy with

I decided that once the engine was out it was a good idea to go and wash the engine bay off, make it a bit tidier

Before

After

Next job was to build up the new Longman 16v engine and LSD box and lift it into the bay

Next up was fitting my new exhaust which arrive Friday, decided to go with a PugSport because it just seemed like the right thing to get. If I have any noise issues I'll cut out the dummy centre box and put a proper one in

Next up all I've got to do is make some fuel lines up, build a loom, fit a servo take off onto the inlet manifold and get it mapped and we should be on the road.

Still deciding on whether to run the Longman airbox or not, but I'll probably start without as it looks amazing and fit it if I have noise issues

Hopefully my new pinion for my quick rack will arrive soon and I can set about getting that built up and fitted

Cheers for looking
Hopefully more soon
Old 27-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
scottmmw

User Gallery
Nice progress mate, engine looks sweet!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Spent the last few days, fitting a servo take off to the throttle bodies and building myself a loom using most the old Rallye loom with new connectors on, to replace the ECU plug with.

Went quite well to be honest, and after recieving a map off Atpeed, today it was time for first start, and after a little messing around got it running.
Very happy, just need to tape the loom up, it doesn't look of very high qualityat the moment, but I've built lots of looms before and they always look like this for a bit, to make sure everything works

Be on track before I know it I'm sure
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
scotty_boy6

User Gallery
Funny I was just thinking this afternoon about the vacuum hose for the brake servo.

How have you gone about doing it? I was just thinking of drilling and welding a peice of pipe into the nearest inlet port after the TB?

Have you gone into 2?

Ps I'm using the same jenvey setup you have
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
I just drilled it, then used a tapered tap to put a tapered thread in it, then screwed in these connectors

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=p5197.c0.m619

(one was a T piece)

Then just put the plastic pipe inbetween
I was told to take off 2 inlets to get a decent vacuum supply and to prevent any running problems from drawing off just one cylinder
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Cyb3r

User Gallery Car Blog
Not try and start it on the zetec map? lol

Looks good,
Old 09-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Well done with the progress.
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
nickhead

User Gallery Car Blog
nice work there!!

ALSO THOSE RAMPS ARE AWESOME.

engine looks very clean, must try harder with mine lol
Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Aleksandr
SOUTH EAST GROUP LEADER #2

User Gallery Car Blog
Not sure how I missed this blog. Car looks great. Those ramps are seriously whorish!

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...
Aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Cheers everone.
Yeah I must admit where I work I am blessed with a very nice workshop
Decided to to try to start it on the Zetec map, didn't think it was advisable lol
Finished off the loom and finished everything off now, just need to secure the ECU and get it across to Atspeed to get it fully mapped, as I only have a start map that goes upto 3600 rpm and no more lol

Also just noticed that I haven't put on here I also have my quaife quick rack in and working
So excited, just hope I have it done in time for a trackday I booked at the end of this month for my Saxo when I had it
Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Nick_Christy
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
think i recognise that workshop..

merc? on the roundabout near mcdonalds??
Nick_Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
That's the one, how do you know it?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #19
Nick_Christy

User Gallery
seen it whilst to chatting to one of the techs... very clean workshop unlike mine here lol haha...

you a apprentice or tech??
Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
sje00

User Gallery
What sort of power you expecting matey?
Old 13-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
I started as an apprentice just over 10 years ago, and am now a fully qualified diagnostic technician.
Powerwise, I'd like to see more than 175.9hp as that's what
a bike carb'd engine I built for my old Saxo was and I'd like to hope Mr Longman could build a better engine than me, but we'll see.
Not overly fussed by figures as it is intended for use on track rather than just telling people about it lol!
I'm sure it'll be fast enough!
Now booked in to be mapped next week!
Then if all goes to plan, Donnington trackday Monday after!
Fingers crossed
Old 21-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Right, I'm back again and this time its fully mapped and on the road!
Got the car picked up by a local friendly recovery firm on Tuesday to be taken to Atspeed to be set up

Then got a phone call on Tuesday lunchtime asking if I was running hydraulic or mechanical lifters, and when I confessed that it was running hydraulic (I think) Colin seemed rather disapointed as the car was still pulling hard even at the 7600rpm limit of the hydraulic lifters. Their opinion that that was as high as you can rev these engines on hydraulic lifters combined with the fact that my brothers similar spec'd 172 lump dropped a valve a couple of months ago, we decided to air on the safe side and stick with the 7600rpm limit.

So got a call Wednesday morning saying that the car was fully mapped and ready for collection, so I took a half day today and lynched my dad into taking me there to pick it up.

Dyno'd with a power of:

142.6hp at 7400rpm the wheels

an estimated 173hp at the flywheel!

And that I'm very happy with, but talking to the people at Atspeed there is talk of going mechanical lifters, uber cams and a 9000rpm ish limiter in the future, but I need to pay off some bills first.

Driving it back its awesome and I absolutely love it, can't wait to get it on track on Monday. Especially love the fact that externally it is utterly standard.
Sounds amazing!
Well happy.
Will keep everyone posted
Old 22-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #23
Lewis

User Gallery
Thats awesome mate! I'd like to have a blast in it at some point. May in MK later on or tomorrow, fancy a sneaky meet so I can check it out? I need some more inspiration for mine lol

Also we need some videos!

Last edited by Lewis; 22-07-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
scottmmw

User Gallery
Your spot on with the comment in your last post about using the car on track and not just bragging about figures. That engine and gearbox matched with a decent suspension set-up and driving will be just as good/fast as many things out there!
Old 22-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
Saxosteve

User Gallery
I saw the pic of the fucked piston and valve head and shit myself! ...then I read the writing LOL

Good stuff. I love the look of the Jenvey SF bodies and trumpets. very nice. Look forward to some vids.

What cams are in it?
Old 23-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
philmh
YORKSHIRE GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
Your car looks smart, nice engine too.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #27
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Thats awesome mate! I'd like to have a blast in it at some point. May in MK later on or tomorrow, fancy a sneaky meet so I can check it out? I need some more inspiration for mine lol

Also we need some videos!
Cheers matey, I'm so happy to have it in and running well.
Unfortunately as much as I'd like to meet up and take you out in it, I've gota busy coupleofweekends ahead of we with being the best man at a mates wedding.
But I am hoping to take it to a Bedford meet at Priory Marina Sunday next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmmw View Post
Your spot on with the comment in your last post about using the car on track and not just bragging about figures. That engine and gearbox matched with a decent suspension set-up and driving will be just as good/fast as many things out there!
Yeah I don't want to get caught up number chasing, when I enjoyed my standard Vts so much on track that I'mpretty sure this set up will be more than enough for now.
Suspension wise, I'm currently enjoying wrestling round a standard set up but no doubt in time I'll end up going for something a bit better.
My eventual goal is (in this car or another) to go sprinting/hillclimbing or racing,but that is a few years off due to finainces lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxosteve View Post
I saw the pic of the fucked piston and valve head and shit myself! ...then I read the writing LOL

Good stuff. I love the look of the Jenvey SF bodies and trumpets. very nice. Look forward to some vids.

What cams are in it?
I thought people would thing that when I saw my post.
I love the look and sound of the engine and bodies.
I did do a videolast night but the camera didn't get on with the dark and rain, that combined with the fact I don't drive fast on the road, doesn't make for interesting viewing, but I does sound good. Not sure if to post it or not?
I don't know what cams are in it, I guess Thorney1988 would know as it was originally his engine, but we a estimating something similar spec to Newman Ph4's

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmh View Post
Your car looks smart, nice engine too.
Thank you very much
Old 23-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #28
philmh
YORKSHIRE GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog
Btw, what happened to the white s1? Looked tidy.
Old 25-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #29
sje00

User Gallery
I was down at Atspeed Racing when this was down there. Nice results matey!! bet its pretty nippy lol
Old 25-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
scotty_boy6

User Gallery
A good healthy figure after mapping and bet she will drive lovely.

What throttle linkage and cable setup are you using?

Is there anyway of adapting a standard throttle cable to hook it to the pedal like the standard cable hooks to the pedal. Havnt looked too much into it yet but your running the same jenvey setup as I will be
Old 25-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #31
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_boy6 View Post
A good healthy figure after mapping and bet she will drive lovely.

What throttle linkage and cable setup are you using?

Is there anyway of adapting a standard throttle cable to hook it to the pedal like the standard cable hooks to the pedal. Havnt looked too much into it yet but your running the same jenvey setup as I will be
It DROVE amazing, proper quick and with that gearbox and diff matched to it, it was so much fun on track, staying with some much bigger cars!
I should have some videos and pictures I can upload once I get home from Donnington!
The linkage is the one that came with the engine and does use a standard throttle cable with is a bonus!
I'll take some pictures of the set up for you when I take the bodies off to fix this:

Well I say... Fix : (
So here I sit in Donnington car park waiting for some kind of recovery : (
Old 25-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #32
Aleksandr
SOUTH EAST GROUP LEADER #2

User Gallery Car Blog
Shit man that sucks! Can't make out the picture properly on my iPhone but I'm assuming that's an escaped rod?

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...
Aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #33
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Yeah, it's a hole in the block!
Made a good bang and a lot of smoke!
Looks like the crank inside has completely lost the rod, so more likely rod bolt failure, but I'll get it out and apart over the next week to work out what's actually happened.
Luckily it happened late in the day, but still, 5 days on the road : (
Old 26-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #34
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Caught it on camera

Old 26-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #35
dunc
Mike's Mechanic

User Gallery Car Blog
Shit luck

Looked to be going well round track.

been there, done that... got trailered home!
dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #36
scottmmw

User Gallery
Bad luck that mate, sure it will be back strong soon!
Old 26-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #37
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Gutted for you mate.

- Seat Supercopa
Old 26-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #38
scotty_boy6

User Gallery
Well that wasn't a reply I was expecting, gutted for you.

If it's all coming apart us this the time you go to solid lifters as you had previously mentioned.

If you could get some pictures of the throttle cable setup that would be much appreciated.
Old 26-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #39
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Did the debris knackered the radiator then?

- Seat Supercopa
Old 26-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #40
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Yeah, bits of block went through the radiator.
No chance of solid lifters, I absolutely broke the bank to get the engine in, so I don't have a penny to repair it with, so there is a fair chance that it won't be back on the road for a very long time if ever : (
Fun while it lasted
Old 26-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #41
Nick_Christy

User Gallery
argh mate thats shit, can u not swap over a bottom end and get it going again? and pick up a second hand rad or so?
Old 26-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #42
Lewis

User Gallery
No way mate that sucks So what happened then - I guess you won't know until you get it apart?
Old 26-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #43
sandy309
106 RALLYE REGISTER ENGINE TECHNICAL ADVISOR

User Gallery
Ouch
Old 26-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #44
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Cheers everyone, feeling really down and fed up with the situation today, think its finally sunk in.
Anyways decided no time like the present to get the engine out and see what the damage is

Back here again

Everywhere you look on the engine there seems to be holes, it's like someone has fired a shotgun down cylinder 4!?
You can see day light through my block

Anyways this is how the engine sits ready to be taken home and stripped

On a slightly lighter note, here are some pictures from the trackday before it died

Cheers for looking, I'll keep you all posted
Old 26-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #45
Lewis

User Gallery
Jesus dude you don't hang around, I think you're due massive credit for getting into it so quickly!! New block I guess? Just hope the head hasn't suffered too much....

Are you able to build it yourself?
Old 26-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #46
Cyb3r

User Gallery Car Blog
That really does suck alot!
Old 27-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #47
scottmmw

User Gallery
As Lewis says, good on you for getting it out so quickly, hopefully the damage is a minimal as possible!
Old 27-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #48
thorney_1988

User Gallery
Sooo sorry to hear this dude

I cannot believe it, I feel so bad for you right now,
I know it's One of those mechanical things but I feel so sorry for you

[FONT="Arial"][B][SIZE="3"]streamline carbon: [FONT="Arial"][B][SIZE="2"]high quality carbon fibre call- 07715055580.[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Last edited by thorney_1988; 01-08-2011 at 11:52 AM.
thorney_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #49
Beaniemoo

User Gallery
Right, just spent the afternoon pulling the engine apart.
Was confronted by a set of standard rods and standard notched pistons which explains the failure in every way.
But this also leaves me out of pocket, facing an expensive repair, so this may be the end
Absolutely beyond gutted and have no idea what to do.
Head looks like its in good shape and will go again, but can't afford to put anything underneath it

Devestated

Old 27-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #50
Mankee

User Gallery
Crumbs, that is seriously bad luck. I might have missed something, but wasn't it a Longmans engine with trick internals? Can't you bung a standard bottom end back in it and cut the revs back so that you can at least trackday it again until you afford an uprated bottom end? I thought that a standard bottom end should take 7600rpm all day?
Mankee is offline   Reply With Quote