home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox ECU chips, decats, cam kits,

Old 22-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Ben Tearle
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
4-2-1 Manifold Project

Right then guys, I'm coming towards the end of my engineering placement year at a certain high performance exhaust manufacturers...BTB exhausts

I'm going to be going back to uni in September for my final year of my degree and so need a final year project (aka dissertation but better!)

I've got a few ideas already such as silencer for the Formula Student car and maybe coverting a 1294cc tu to bike carbs, but I can have as many ideas as want...just need to pick one by the end of July really!

As Im sure you already know, Dave P found out the advantages of using a 4-2-1 raceland manifold over a GMC 4-1 (which BTB make) on his 16v beast. However I've heard good and bad points about the raceland as you do with everything.

Also as most people already know, no one makes a manifold specifically for the s1 rallye, apparently they all seem to sit a tiny bit lower than on an s2.

So...I was thinking I could look into this for my final year project, design and make a 4-2-1 manifold for the s1 rallye and then maybe adjust the design for the s2. So there would be 2 perfect fitting manifolds and hopefully the best performing manifold on the market for them both, if BTB decided to produce them that is.

I know alot of people have bought and are planning on buying a raceland and I can see why at the price they are!

However I'd be interested in feedback about them: fitting, quality, performance gains etc

I remember a project that Mark Yates undertook with an exhaust company? to make a manifold for the s1, what happened?

Thank you good night
Ben Tearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
SLIK
Uber God & Equaliser

User Gallery
Make it with better collectors than the raceland has... proper abrupt ends with tapered collector would be better than the merge the raceland has on teh primaries.
Old 23-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Rippthrough
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
If you could do an adaptor so we could ft one to the 306 I think that would be a good project. ::
Rippthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Brycey
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIK
Make it with better collectors than the raceland has... proper abrupt ends with tapered collector would be better than the merge the raceland has on teh primaries.
And make 1 and 4 equal lengths too as they're off atm.

I would gladly hold back on buying a raceland if you could make a better one Always happy to help out a fellow RR member.
Brycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Reidar
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Equal lenght primarys arent nesessarily the best option. If the primarys are tuned for different rpms the effect curves might be nicer. It gives power in a broader band.
Reidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
jameshilton
NORTH WEST GROUP LEADER & FORUM MODERATOR

User Gallery
Ben - no feedback on GMC or Raceland manifolds but I would definitely be up for a S1 specific one. I'm worried about fitting an S2 designed one on my car as the speed bumps around here are those ones that are in the middle of each lane and I'd be worried about ripping it off lol.

Keep us informed.

I think Mark's one was not S1 specific.
jameshilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
SLIK
Uber God & Equaliser

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidar
Equal lenght primarys arent nesessarily the best option. If the primarys are tuned for different rpms the effect curves might be nicer. It gives power in a broader band.
This is true, you are often best off varying the lengths of the primaries to tune each cylinder to a slightly different rpm which gives you lower peak values but more flexibility. I would build one with differing lengths.