home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox ECU chips, decats, cam kits,

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
Sebastion
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
[SOLVED] Leaded Petrol in 106 Rallye 1.6 8v

I have no Cat fitted, is it safe to run leaded?

Old 10-09-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
Patrick F
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
While I am no mechanic I believe there is more to a car running on leaded or unleaded than just a cat being present. If my memory serves correctly which is never does on a friday then it also has something to do with cylinder compression and also unleaded engines haveing harder valve seals. It will run but I am pretty sure there cold be some damage

Old 10-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
asnail99
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
why run it...its more expensive!

Old 10-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
buddrinker
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
it will run no probs at all.
not alot of point really though other than the fact its ahigher octane rateing.
the vlave seat issue is to do with running leaded cars on unleaded, the lack of lead resulys in valve seat erossion over time. and this is a long time usually not just a few miles.
i know of a mini cooper (a proper one not the crap bmw one) that has being run for the last 5yrs on unleded and its not had a problem at all.

you will actually be better off finding sumwhere that does optimax or super unleaded.
i run my 306 s16 on super unleaded as sainsburys have started re introducing it to there for courts and its only a penny a litre deareer than normal unleaded is.and it is rumoured that it is actaully shell optimax.

another probelmm you will have running leaded in an unleaded car is getting the nozzle in to the filler.
the nozzles are dif sizes and the leaded one wont fit in the hole.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
SLIK
Uber God & Equaliser

User Gallery
Hardened valve seats are designed to suffer the heat present from lower octane fuel without the cooling lubricating effects of lead tetra chloride (as far as I remember it is this compound).

Your engine will run fine,, perhaps even better than fine on leaded fuel but there was a reason for it being taken off the market and though there are additives using sodium I think which recreate the lead effect for older engines there is still no substitute for hardened exhaust valve seats.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
buddrinker
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
but as the rallye is designed to run on unleaded it will already have valve seats that are ok.

the problem ISNT with running leaded petrol un unleaded engines, its with running unleaded petrol in petrol engines.

so any newer car can run leaded but only older cars that have hardeend seats can run it.

just dont run a cat equiped car on leaded as it will stuff it up in no time, and cats aint the cheapest thing to go out buy new

Old 10-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
Sebastion
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
Cheers for that info lads.
Had been offered some high Octane Leaded fuel which you would have to dilute with ordinary leaded petrol. No point really as leaded is becoming increasingly difficult to purchase.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:44 PM   #8
SLIK
Uber God & Equaliser

User Gallery
dilute you leaded fuel with unleaded.

One point i missed above is that is is fairly bloody obvious that hardened valve seats are fitted to the rallye as it has an alloy head.......

Hence requires valve seats (inlets too????) and valve guides.. Otherwise the alloy would be made short work of.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Brad
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
be carefull with lrp it will eventually burn out your valve seats seen it happen to a few good (4 star)motors with low mileage on, try unleaded/super unleaded in a 70/30 mix, i used to do this in my 205 n 309 gti's (d6b engine) they ran alot smoother than using lrp on its own.
Old 14-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
Paul R
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
it would pink, ud have to change the timing and most likey a re-map, the motors desinged to run on un-leaded so id stick to that, could be expensive if it goes wrong.
Old 14-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
SLIK
Uber God & Equaliser

User Gallery
The lead compound was added to raise the octane rating, it helps to control the combustion preventing predetonation and inhibiting pinking.

So as I said above if no cat fitted then the only side effect shall be emissions and cooler lubricated valves. No difference power or pinking wise than optimax, not that I can think anyway.
Old 15-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #12
Sebastion
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
Hmmm,

Leaded sounds the way to go, I was offered 114 Ron Octane Leaded which you could mix 50/50 with ordinary leaded. Only problem is trying to buy it from your local filling station...

Old 15-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #13
Brad

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R
it would pink, ud have to change the timing and most likey a re-map, the motors desinged to run on un-leaded so id stick to that, could be expensive if it goes wrong.
nah they didn't pink i didn't even have to set any timing or owt like that i think i just got lucky with the super plus having a higher octane rating than normal unleaded.mixed 2gether gave a good combustion.
but that was a couple of years ago so now i'd probably use a mix of optimax with something till i found out the best combo.
Old 15-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #14
RiddledRjc

User Gallery
Some of the very early XSi could run on leaded and its been rumoured that some of the S1 rallyes could as well, or at least my local Peugeot dealer tells me. To do this the ECU was set up with different timings etc. Best stick with Super Unleaded if you can find it.
Old 16-09-2004, 07:17 AM   #15
buddrinker
Unregistered Guest

User Gallery
the knock sensors etc will mean that ecu alters the igntion so that pinking doesnt occur.
running acar on super unleaded such as optimax will not damage it at all, if it would dont you think shell would warn people to avoid thousands of court cases?

now if your running carbs on a car and its set up for standered 95 ron leaded adn you fill it with super unleaded you wont get benefits of it, as it wont adjust to the difference.

i can run my car on either unleaded or super and it makes no difference and idnt harming it in any way.

Closed Thread