home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox ECU chips, decats, cam kits,

Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Ivyhouse21
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Tuning S1 1300 rallye engine for road rally

As above, info wanted for tuning 1300 Tu2j2 engine for road rallying.Has to retain std inlet manifold, want to get 120 hp out of it and be reliable ish!!

I know there will be threads on here but cant find them, point me in the right direction Guys!!

Cheers.
Ivyhouse21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
chrisjp4
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Depending on condition, re-build, port the head, re-seat valves & put a nice cam in there. Probably end up with around 120bhp. If you've got the cash some nice pistons & a wilder cam would retrive more power but i wouldn't bother too much without bodies.

A nice cam, rebuild, ported head, matched to a ported inlet, with a nice exhaust system remapped should see you some nice power, maybe even 130bhp done right. Ignore the re-build bit if you think the engines ok & want to do it cheap, but their getting very old now so I'd rebuild it with all new seals just to give it a new lease of life & hopefully have it survive a little longer, 8v's are much cheaper & easier to re-build to. You could put a 1400 cast iron bottom end? Or even a 1600, you could get a v.low mileage Cit?pug TU5 for less than 100 now, a good mod if your not CC restricted?

Other people on here will know more than me with 8v's, but i know a xsi/quicksilver bottom end is much stronger & obviously more CC. If a 8V TU5 would fit that'd be my option, re-built with the rallye head, maybe some bigger valves? A good cam & exhaust system could see you some nice strong horses & some more torque too.

Chris.
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Ivyhouse21

User Gallery
Cheers Chris, good advice there. Any ideas on cam choice? wanted something not to peaky as will be using in the lanes and the odd forests event. Will be rebuilding it right through.
Cheers.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
chrisjp4
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Not too sure on 8v cam's to be honest, just look through catcam's list & see which will work the best with standard pistons. I'd go for a 1600 bottom end then, more weight but a bit more power & a chunk of torque plus more reliable. Try to get a old black top vtr bottom end, or get a newer one & transfer everything over from the rallye, you could get a low mileage one cheap then you won't have to rebuild the bottom end.

So get a 1600 cast iron bottom end, rebuild the head, check what cam you can run, just email catcams they'll tell you, port the head+inlet & match together & a better Ex system, should see you 120-130bhp done right, probably more towards 130bhp with a decent build & re-map. You could just run the Rallye cam with the above set-up & make 115bhp, maybe more with a re-map, depending on how good the head work is too as their quite good heads to start with.It all depends on what power you want & how much you can spend & regs?

Chris.
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Ivyhouse21

User Gallery
Cheers Chris, will get in touch with catcams and see whats available. Will take my head to Paul Gardner near Lancaster and let him have a play with it.
Cheers.
Old 18-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
sje00
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Cat Cams 645 or 646 might do you well.