home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > 16v Rallye Conversions

16v Rallye Conversions All you need to know about this very popular engine conversion

Old 13-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
kiwi
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Holy Grail s1 16v wiring guide!

There are already some really good guides on wiring a 16v to the s1 rallye but heres my spin on things which will hopefully help a few people.

You will need your s1 rallye engine loom and the donor loom from your 16v engine. The loom i will demonstrate is a 16v single plug loom. The aim of the exercise is to connect up all the 16v loom power and ancills to the respective output on the s1 rallye loom plug.

First of all identify each pin output on your s1 rallye plug by continuity checking (buzzing)them using a multimeter and make a note of them. Pin 1 is at the top right corner as you look at the plug. Here are my results for the s1 loom which i cant guarantee to be the same as yours so check! All plugs are marked with the pin numbers if you look closely inside the plug.

Pin on s1 plug - Position on loom
Pin 1 - Pin 14 fuel injection main relay (Ignition Live)
Pin 2 - Alternator field (Small ring lug on the alternator)
Pin 3 - Water temp plug pin 2(Blue 2 pin plug look closely on plug for pin numbers)
Pin 4 - Starter Solenoid (Small ring lug on starter)
Pin 5 - Oil Pressure (Spade connector on front of engine)
Pin 6 - Reverse pin 1 (White plug on top of gearbox)
Pin 7 - Reverse pin 2
Pin 8 - ECU plug pin 5 (Rev Counter)
Pin 9 - Ground
Pin 10 - Water temp pin 1 (Blue 2 pin plug)
Pin 11 - Oil level pin 1 (2 pin plug next to oil pressure spade on front of engine)
Pin 12 - Oil level pin 2
Pin 13 - Oil temp (Connector on bottom of sump.)
Pin 14 -X
Pin 15 -X
Pin 16 -X
Pin 17 -X
Pin 18 -X
Pin 19 -X
Pin 20 -X
Pin 21 -X
Pin 22 - ECU plug pin 6 (Eng manage light)
Pin 23 - Pin 13 fuel injector main relay via fuse box (Fuel pump power)(This will only con as far as the grey plug if its disconnected. The other side of the grey plug will con to Pin 13 iof main injector relay in this case.)

This takes care of the multi pin plug the only other plugs on the loom to worry about are the 3 connectors which go into the engine fuse box. Theres no need to con check them but its worth knowing their duties to apply to the 16v loom.

The Black plug is the 2 main power feed from the battery for the Fuel injection main relay.
The Grey plug is simply the inline fuse for the fuel pump.
The Blue plug is the inline fuse for the lambda sensor.

Now take the main connector on the 16v loom and cut it off. Con check each of the following from the main plug and label the wires.

Alternator field (Small ring lug on the alternator)
Water temp plug pin 2(Blue 2 pin plug look closely on plug for pin numbers)
Starter Solenoid (Small ring lug on starter)
Oil Pressure (Spade connector on front of engine)
Reverse pin 1 (White plug on top of gearbox)
Reverse pin 2
Water temp pin 1 (Blue 2 pin plug)
Oil level pin 1 (2 pin plug next to oil pressure spade on front of engine)
Oil level pin 2
Oil temp (Connector on bottom of sump.

Also because of the wiring differences between the s1 and 16v there is also a cheeky little wire for the the lambda located in the main plug which will con to the lambda plug pin 1. label this. This often gets overlooked. We will talk about this later.

Con check the following on the ECU connector and label

ECU plug pin 42 (Rev Counter)
ECU plug pin 9 (Eng manage light)

Con check the following from the fuel injection main relay connector

Pin 14 fuel injection main relay (Ignition Live)
Pin 13 fuel injector main relay via fuse box (Fuel pump power)
Pin 2 battery live
Pin 8 battery live (These 4 usually are located on their own plugs and would normally go into the 16v fuse box.)
Pin 11 battery live ( Identify them and group them together. Pics of what they looked like on my loom below )
Pin 15 battery live

(Yellow and Green Plugs)

OK that covers all the required wires necessary for the conversion. The 16v loom will have some wires left over these are for anti theft and diagnostics. I had 6 wires remaining.

Now the scary and telling part cut all the wires going to the s1 loom plug leaving a sensible tail (about 8 inches) EXCEPT for wire number 121 normally a thicker white wire that cons to the grey plug from the s1 fusebox. On mine it cons from pin 23 on the s1 loom plug.

Now one by one join the corresponding wires up using the remaining wire as a length guide. I recommend only soldering and using heat shrink! Pic of progress below showing wires being joined. You should have one labelled wire remaining for the lambda and the other reduntant wires which can be discarded.

Once these have been done its worth while doing a quick con check of all wires in the plug to make sure thay correspond with the s1 pin-outs.

So now to ensure that both the fuel pump and lambda sensor are protected by an inline fuse we will utilise the Grey and Blue plugs, and for the main power feeds the Black plug from the s1 eng fuse box. How you do this bit is up to you w.r.t. connecting the wires. Ideally it would be nice to have new connectors from Peugeot, or you can solder them onto the existing wires, or you can do what i done and carefully un-crimp the female spade connectors and re-use them. Either way cut/remove all 3 plugs except for white wire 121 in the grey plug which you left earlier, which goes to pin 23 on the main loom plug in my case.

The 4 wires labelled battery live wires need to go to the black connector, 2 in each spade. It doesn matter which order or what way around.
To utilise the fuse in the s1 engine bay for the fuel pump connect the wire from pin 13 on the 16v loom fuel injector main relay connector to the opposite side of where wire 121 is on the grey connector. Also in with this wire from pin 13 loop in a wire to the blue connector. This is for the lambda.
The blue plug now has the wire looped into it from the pin 13 side of the grey connector. The remaining marked wire lambda at the main plug loom now need to be pulled back through the loom and routed and connected to the other side of the blue plug.

Thats it job done!

Ref pic of Water Temp.

Ref pic of fuel injection main relay plug.

Plug and Play!

Quality AN Fittings for Fuel/Oil.

Last edited by kiwi; 13-02-2009 at 11:20 PM.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
sandy309
106 RALLYE REGISTER ENGINE TECHNICAL ADVISOR

User Gallery
The pin orders do vary, so double check.
Old 13-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Nick_Christy
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
.that was going good and was understanding it till it got the the 2nd part lol where u got bored lol...at the 16v wires
Nick_Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
jbennett

User Gallery
Really good info there! Used this today to convert my loom, although like sandy said, pin orders do vary. My 16v loom didn't even have the green and yellow plugs on to connect to the 16v fuse box
jbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
freddy6868
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER & SOUTH WALES GROUP LEADER

User Gallery Car Blog

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]Engine:[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="1"]C2 VTS JP4 engine, JP4 cam covers, J4 cams, followers, valve springs and caps, Lightened flywheel, Pug racing gear linkages, heat wrapped 4-2-1 raceland manifold, 2" decat pugsport system, Pugsport group N engine mounts, powerflex exhaust mounts, 106 GTI airbox with K&N pannel filter, standard,S2 gearbox, [B]153bhp @ 7,310rpm 112ft/lbs @ 6,739rpm[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Interior:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Standard interior apart from Sparco Evo bucket seats, Sabbelt 3" 6 point harnesses[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Body:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Brand new S1 vinals all round, red FG bonnet[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Chassis:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Poly bushed diesel spec wishbones, lowered on Gaz coilovers on the front adjustable height -40mm-90mm, S1 rear beam poly bushed and lowered 45mm with Rear Gaz rear dampers, S2 steelies,[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Brakes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]Front brakes:Godspeed brake set up consisting of Brembo Max disks (on order), standard calipers and mintex 1155 pads with braided flexi pipes. Rear brakes: standard S1 drums and shoes with goodridge flexi pipes[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]SEX, PUGS AND ROCK 'N' ROLL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
freddy6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
jackie

User Gallery
very solid guide, tho my 16v pin outs were different

main relay pin 5..... fuel pump power
main relay pin 15 (did not have)

main relay pins 11/8/2 (battery live) all conned to 1 thick grey wire

hope this helps
jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Just fired up my rallye after following Kiwi's guide.

curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
JackWiltshire
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
Yep.. This worked for me

Easy to follow
JackWiltshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Wesley
SOON TO BE FREELOADER - PLEASE JOIN UP NOW!

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie View Post
very solid guide, tho my 16v pin outs were different

main relay pin 5..... fuel pump power
main relay pin 15 (did not have)

main relay pins 11/8/2 (battery live) all conned to 1 thick grey wire

hope this helps
Could you tell me where you connected the thick grey wire to? It's labelled BB13 on my loom. I know it's a battery live, but I'm just not sure where to connect it.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
devil
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Hello guys
Seeking complete wiring for conversion

106 s1 1.3 rally to the 1.6 16v

thanks
devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
jakeh408
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
im just using the full loom off my vts donor then solder the wires for the clocks and any of the connectors that dont match
jakeh408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
DanCainey
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
I'm a bit confused - the pin out for the S1 loom at the top of the page doesn't have a pin for the vehicle speed sensor? Does this not run through the multiplug? How else does it get to the dash? Does it run through the ECU?
DanCainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #13
sandy309
106 RALLYE REGISTER ENGINE TECHNICAL ADVISOR

User Gallery
There are three variations of the wing plug pin out I know of, on S1 Rallyes alone. Late ones (without a mech speedo cable) have a digital speedo feed to dash, but it's to the ECU only on earlier ones. ECU will not function properly if the speed signal and all other sensors are not correctly powered; it will usually run, just not as well as it should and that's a common 16v conversion situation!