home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > Northern Ireland & Ireland > Irish Members Cars

Old 24-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Cornally
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
106 GTi Track Car

I'm waiting to hear back from Stephen about the final spec, it's nothing crazy but it's a great base to start with, it'll just be my track car soon!
Cornally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Wayne D
IRISH REGIONAL LEADER

User Gallery
Very good mate, really looking forward to seeing what this is... Make sure and keep us posted!
Old 25-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Cornally

User Gallery
just said id update this for anyone thats interested, ill probably be pestering you's for information now shortly! Copied from another forum by the way...

Yeah its the one from DTD, a good mate put me in touch with johno and I gave it the quick once over and bought it! I would have been mad not to, it was a steal. Ive been onto Steven Gault and ive to ring him over the next few days to chat about the car, I think someone piked the simota induction kit because it just has a green cotton filter on the tb, and i want to ask him about an exhaust manifold as well.

Anyway, The car is pretty good, but the clutch is fooked, Im just guna drop the box off it tomorrow night and stick an oem one in it for the moment, i have one so why not.

it also needs the brakes looked at, there dangerously bad, theres an ABS sensor light on so ill sort that, it also needs an altenator belt and the cam covers and ladders re sealed coz theres a slight leak, but other than that shes good.

so we (me, the aul boy and a mate) threw it up on the ramp earlier for a quick look see, and its fairly good, too small bits of rust where everybody thinks the jacking points are , and a bit on a bumper bracket. No structural, so its all good.

In the last while the car has had, a clutch cable, handbrake cables, the beam re furbed, 4 new tyres, and a new battery!

It also has half leathers, which are in good nick so they'll be sold!

And best of all, it has tax!!!!!

So the spec i know of the minute is:

Plans are to sort the brakes and clutch, get a 4 branch and an induction kit, fit this

And my braided lines, strip it, carbon panel it, lightened flywheel, uprate the clutch disc, and a shorter final drive (s1 rallye or 1.4xsi) then a bit of action in mondello and tullow with a bit of luck!

the plan is to have a ~155bhp car with short gears that weighs sub 850kgs and it will be built for around 1500 all going well!
Old 26-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
jackie

User Gallery
good jab !!!!!

if the abs fault turns out to be rear sensors ive 2 goodin's here
jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Cornally

User Gallery
thanks lads!

I put the clutch in the other night, the cable is still a bit off, bites at the very top, ill look at it another day.

The clutch disc was actually ok, But it looked like it had been apart recently for a flywheel oil seal i reckon, and they just thought the oil would burn off the disc! the pressure plate had scorch marks on it as well. Its done now anyway!

but its not as fast as the Rallye, but ill get the 4 branch on it and a simota induction kit and see how it fares out... on the lookout for a 4.6 fd now as well Ive to ring Steven gault over the next few days and have a chat with him. Only pic i took of her on the two poster tonight!

I'm just off the phone to Steven Gault, fairplay to him for taking the time to answer any questions i had, But I dont think the car has a Group A ecu in it, he said it should rev to 7900 with one and I'm banging out at 7250 he told me not to bother buying one either, for what they sell for the gains are quite minimal, he only put it in because he had one lying around! he suggested a sump baffle as well, So its going upto the shed soon to get stripped down for the build!

Last edited by Cornally; 29-10-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Cornally

User Gallery
Finally got a bit of time to get cracking on with this

Drives out

Front stripped

Crane up

Done and split

The 40 or so sandwich bags i put all the bolts into!!

How I left it

Engine wont be goin back in till after xmas, guna strip the loom now tomorrow and thin it out and tidy it up, chop out the wires i dont need. Im going to relocate the ECU and fuse boxes back inside the car as well, move the batter back to the boot and free up some space in the bay. Ill have the interior out tomorrow if anyone wants to buy it! Need to start ordering parts soon as well
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Wayne D
IRISH REGIONAL LEADER

User Gallery
Any more news on this motor mate? Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 20-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
Cornally

User Gallery
Sorry Im only seeing this now Wayne, i havent been using any forums for the last couple of months. Im travelling for a year in Australia, but I got a bit of work done on the car before I left.

I stripped the bay out, sorted out some rust issues, filled it and sprayed it. I also done timing belt and tensioners (first one done by myself, pretty happy about that ), sprayed up the block and head and removed the abs. I also got a freshly rebuilt S1 rallye box.

I spent a bit of time stripping the wiring and tiding it up in the engine bay, then I refitted the engine and the new box and put the front back on the car. I also fitted my bucket seat and braces, and then i parked outside the shed where its going to sit for a year! Ill get pics up, my photobucket isn't working atm.

I've kept my speedlines for it as well, but i might look into swoping them for some ultralegeras or turinins when im home.

Ive also just bought a set of GSXR bodies and Im awaiting a reply from colin satchell about getting an Inlet made up, and ill be onto Steven Gault about possible headwork and mapping/ a loom when I return in the new year. Ill update with pics as the parts arrive home.
Old 20-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Wayne D
IRISH REGIONAL LEADER

User Gallery
Very good, sounds like you've done a good bit of work so far anyway. Look forward to seeing it. We spotted your old S2 in Dublin a few weeks back. I'm sure you miss it, but this new car sounds like it will be a lot of fun when you have it finished. Enjoy your travels and talk to you soon mate.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
yellowsrnova
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
very nice indeed
i will be going to the next meet promise
yellowsrnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Cornally

User Gallery
These arrived today, huge thanks to Colin Satchell

He even included the tee piece for the return! Great service!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Cornally

User Gallery
I havent updated this in a while, but Im home from OZ now so Im cracking back on with it. I was hoping to have the throttle bodies on the car, mapped and all for the summer, but Ive had a small set back which you'll find out about in a few

Firstly, I bought a 4 port brake master cylinder, copper brake line, and all the fittings I needed. I removed the ABS control module, cut the steel brake lines and practised making the lines and fittings before I tried it on the car.

easy enough to do with the right tools and some patience. Stell brake lines are a bitch to flare though!

All done, and now i have no ABS. Got a bit more than 10 kilos out of the car aswell Id say.

Then I put my speedlines on the car and washed the mould off it, I was considering selling them because I didnt think they'd look good on it, but I like them now

I also cleaned up my 6 point sparco harnesses, there the old ones from my aul lads rally car, they'll match my sparco seats nicely

Then I (well tony ) Stripped all the interior out of the car, everything is gone

Should be nice and light now! bt

And now to why the car wont be throttlebodied for another 6 months...

There Gaz Gold coilovers for a 106. I hadnt planned on buying this level of uprated suspension for a few months, but i got a great deal on them off aaron (sound!!!) and i couldnt refuse. So, the ecu fund got cleared for these! Theres also 250lb springs on them, but theyll be changed in the near future. Should handle lovely when there all installed, with the upper and lower strut braces. I have to collect the rear's off aaron, I might do that during the week

Shes getting there, I might get the finger out this week and try and get the car ready for paddys day
Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Garry.M

User Gallery
Your getting there! ;-)
Garry.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
Dieseldave
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Nice work and some cool parts. Are you for Mondello on Paddy's day?
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
Cornally

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry.M View Post
Your getting there! ;-)
Slowly but surely! I fired you off a pm there earlier about suspension bits, not sure if u got it, it said your pm box was full!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldave View Post
Nice work and some cool parts. Are you for Mondello on Paddy's day?
thanks Dave. Yeah I'm going to try and get the car ready for then, but I still have to fit a few parts and then it's all down to money, christening and a few birthdays draining my funds in the mean time. Ill be over for a gander anyway if I don't get the car out. U out yourself?

I forgot to mention that the coilover's have just been serviced, fully set up and corner weighted by Murray Motorsport, for mondello, so hopefully they'll be right when I get them in
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Cornally

User Gallery
I set about fitting the coilover's there today because I had some free time and the lift was free

Stripped out

New track rod end went in on that side too

All back in and buttoned up

Camber shot

How it sits now

Pretty much the same as before, delighted about that because I like the ride height, and I wasn't arsed doing the torsion bars! Back up tomorrow to fit the strut braces, finish bleeding the brakes, change the box oil and maybe a few other small bits if I feel like it
Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
Dieseldave

User Gallery
I would strongly advise you take out the right hand engine mount, drill the M8 threads out to 8.5
and tap it M10 then fit a 12.9 tensile (black) bolt.

I had 2 M8 bolts break on me around Mondello and the engine will sit down on that side. I never
had an M10 bolt break.

I wont be there myself, Midlands rally the following sunday and pressure on the get the Civic ready.
Old 15-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
Cornally

User Gallery
Quote:
I would strongly advise you take out the right hand engine mount, drill the M8 threads out to 8.5
and tap it M10 then fit a 12.9 tensile (black) bolt.

I had 2 M8 bolts break on me around Mondello and the engine will sit down on that side. I never
had an M10 bolt break.

I wont be there myself, Midlands rally the following sunday and pressure on the get the Civic ready.
Yeah I'll do that so, I have to tip into Dublin nut and bolt to get a balljoint bolt so ill pick one up when I'm in there.

Doesn't look like the car will be ready for a track day this weekend, can't get a pedal after changing the master cyl and removing the abs
Old 15-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Garry.M

User Gallery
Buy a pair of m10 capscrews 12.9 grade - slightly longer than you need to that the unthreaded shank can locate in the bj,,, then cut it to size.
Garry.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
Cornally

User Gallery
Haven't got time to do much with this lately, and anyway its way to cold in the shed and neither of the heaters are working!

I got the rear Gaz's in and cut the spare wheel cage out

I put my spare wheels on for a look, think I prefer the speedlines

Going to get harness eye bolts, start lightening the shell and the loom. Going to push on and try get out for a trackday at the end of the month, haven't drove this thing in a year and a half!

These also appeared in the yard over the weekend, watch this space!

Last edited by Cornally; 03-04-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #21
Cornally

User Gallery
Just thought I'd update this a bit!

So after no joy with getting rid of the soft pedal no matter how many times it was bled with the pressure bleeder, I got very pissed off and didn't touch the car for a while. I got another 4 port master cylinder then, put that on and I had no brakes what so ever! I figured the master cylinder was air locked, so I just ended up leaving it sit for about 2 months until I got a chance to sort it. So we bled out the master cylinder, and bled out the brakes, and the New master cylinder seems to have done the job! The brakes aren't great, but I couldn't really drive the car to check them because there's no exhaust on it. Hopefully with some new pads, and a bit of driving, the brakes will be sweet

That's what the discs were like after a short drive, last time the oxidation didn't even come off the discs after a good bit of driving

Started stripping my wiring loom

Sent a wheel off to get straightened, here it is filled and sanded, ready for paint

Got a raceland manifold

The hanger on the pug sport that's going for welding in the morning,

Really thinking of changing to a kam racing system

Got a 16v airbox to tie me over until the bodies go on, guna put a k&n panel filter in it, made up a cold air feed aswell

And now my latest purchase, didn't plan on buying it, but I got it for a steal

First outing in it in 3 weeks, sort the seat rails, new pads, oil and filters and get the harness's in, can't wait!

As always c&c welcome!
Old 24-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
chrisjp4

User Gallery
Nice car mate, what were the other 2 106's for?? When you going to be putting the bodies on it?

Did Steven build the engine?

Chris

Nice car mate, looks better with the black wheels i think. What were the other 2 106's for?

Did Steven build the engine? Bodies going on soon?

Good luck with it,

Chris

Last edited by chrisjp4; 24-07-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
Cornally

User Gallery
The green one is a stockhatch car that my aul lad bought, we're putting a new engine in it at the minute, all new body panels because its as rough as a bears arse, and then it'll be painted! Used for time attack next year and some track days! The black one, is a project for next year or the year after, cage, turbo and a lot of messing!

The bodies will probably go on over the winter, ready for next year. The car actually used to belong to Stephen, it was his run around for a while, he put the cams and a grpA ecu into it and the plaque on the cover

I like the team dynamics now, but the offset on the speedlines is much better, nothing a 10mm spacer won't sort!
Old 15-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
Cornally

User Gallery
It's been an eventful week getting the car ready for it's first outing today. Serviced it, got the tracking done

I had the car ready but it was leaking a lot of oil out of the cam covers, and after 3 attempts at sealing them I got different ones and they eventually sealed. Got the car loaded up, checked it over again and we wer set

The car started off badly, got out for not even half a lap and I was flagged, there was smoke everywhere, do I pulled in, popped the bonnet and there was oil all over the place, it was after coming out from the oil cap. Turned out the rocker breather was blocked, sorted that, got back out and the car developed a bad misfire. Changed the coil, went back out, car died and had to be towed. That was the crank sensor, it after coming loose. Eventually I got her running right and got half a day problem free! But the rain had started at this stage!

All in all, car went well, Gaz coilover's are class, couldn't get over the grip I had in the dry,
Even on t1r's. there's still a lot of oil coming out of the rocker breather, about 50ml for every 6 or 7 mins of driving, anyone have any ideas?
Old 15-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #25
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Glad you got some track time at last, its looking good.

Have you got the rocker cover piped into a catch tank or anything or is it just open?
Are the splash guards fitted to the underside of the rocker covers?
Old 15-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
Cornally

User Gallery
Quote:
Glad you got some track time at last, its looking good.

Have you got the rocker cover piped into a catch tank or anything or is it just open?
Are the splash guards fitted to the underside of the rocker covers?
So am I, I've had a stretch of bad luck with missing the last few days. Thanks, she's getting there now! Yeah the splash guards are fitted alright, and the breather was piped
Back into the std airbox, but the pipe was blocked some how. After that I dicked it up with a piece of hose and a red bull to catch it! Ill be ordering a catch can during the week. It's breathing really heavy, I don't know if there's an oil gallery blocked in the head or possibly the block is damaged
Old 15-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornally View Post
After that I dicked it up with a piece of hose and a red bull
It's breathing really heavy
Red bull will do that, try a coke can instead
Old 15-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #28
Cornally

User Gallery
Quote:
Red bull will do that, try a coke can instead
Haha smartarse! Some mothers have them!!
Old 26-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #29
Cornally

User Gallery

Old 28-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #30
Cornally

User Gallery
Haven't done much with this since last summer, but I booked in for the first track day of the new year before Xmas to give me some motivation! First thing was to fit the new kam racing exhaust system,

Then the next thing I wanted to do was get the cage in the car so I could enter in some rounds of time attack this year, so after getting messed around by the guy who was meant to be doing it for me, I ended up being pretty tight for time (even though I had nearly 3 months to do it) due to my sister and a good mate getting married and I dropped the car to get the cage fitted on Monday, and picked it up on Thursday to do the trackday on Friday ended up painting the cage and a few other bits Kawasaki green, sure why not

I fitted new callipers to the front and fitted some Carbon Lorraine pads, got a new pro2000 drivers seat and schroth harness
Ready to roll the night before

Annndddddd of course, I got 4 laps and the head gasket went, so back on the trailer and home she went at lunch time I'm really letting the French side down

Really getting fed up with the car now, always something with it. I went out in my mates eg civics, and I'm in two minds weather to break this thing and build a honda, or else just stop being a bitch and get on with it! The engine that's in the car is just trouble at this stage, so I think I'm going to get a good low mileage jp4, and throw that in with a set of cams and hopefully get some trouble free motoring out of it. I'll have to see what the story is with gsxr inlet I have though, because it's for a j4. I'll suss it out soon, and The s1 rallye box that I bought off a member on here, and paid top dollar for because it was 'fully rebuilt' is crunching in 2nd and 3rd, more hassle!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #31
Martijn M

User Gallery Car Blog
Guy i know races a Civic. He's been through 3 engines in 2 years. Pugs are not that bad... :P
Martijn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #32
irishs16
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Build a honda sell the itbs to me lol
irishs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #33
Wayne D
IRISH REGIONAL LEADER

User Gallery
Coming along nicely mate.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #34
Cornally

User Gallery
New engine and box are nearly ready to go, I'll update this soon
Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #35
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Good to see your sticking with this. You have until the 4th of August to get it up and running.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #36
Cornally

User Gallery
Quote:
Good to see your sticking with this. You have until the 4th of August to get it up and running.
Thanks Dave, whats so special about august 4th!? Itll be running soon, but it wont be raced until next year, going to spend the rest of the year lightening the shell, doing a big brake conversion and a few other bits

Right a lot of updating to do, So i done a trackday on the 28th of feb. Got the rollcage into the car, new seat and harness, new front calipers and a carbon lorraine pads. When i got to Mondello, i done 4 laps and the car developed a very bad misfire. I got back into the pits, popped the bonnet and there was oil pissing out from the cam covers, the dipstick, pipes in the head, and from between the block and the head. So, I gave up, put the car back on the trailer and brought it home. When I took off the makeshift oil catch can, this is how much oil came out of the top breather pipe after 4 laps, couldn't believe it!

I knew the engine was bolloxed, so that was that, I parked it up and left it while I decided what to do. I ended up getting a call off my mate who wanted to sell his Quaifed Xsi box, so I decided to buy that and his brand new helix 4 paddle clutch

My dad decided to buy the engine out of my mates car, so I bought his engine. It was a bit of a gamble, because it wouldn't start in his car, but Im sure it was down to wiring. I took the engine out

removed the engine from my car, and sat the new engine in to see if it would start, and it did, first turn of the key I pulled it back out then, and stripped the head, decided to put a fresh head gasket onto it while it was out

Built it back up then

I put the head back on then, and I brought the engine upto a guy who lives just up the road from me, he builds race engines, and I got him to set the timing with a dial gauge as per the catcam website. Then i ordered some clio 172 injectors

Then I cut the scuttle panel

I started fitting everything then, Throttle bodies, alternator, exhaust manifold, cam covers, clutch and flywheel, and the box. Thats where Im upto at the minute, hopefully have everything back together this coming week

Spec:
J4 engine
Raceland Exhaust manifold
CatCam743's
GSXR 1000 ITB's
Clio 172 Injectors
Lightened crank pulley
Lightened and balanced flywheel
Helix 4 Paddle clutch
Quaife LSD box with 4.4 fd

Last edited by Cornally; 07-06-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #37
Dieseldave

User Gallery
That's the next track day, you should try have it out
Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #38
Cornally

User Gallery
Right so I haven't done anything with this in quite a while. I started a new job last summer, which meant a big drop in wages, and then it meant moving 200km away from the car, so that put a halt to progress. I seriously lost interest, and I actually put the car up for breaking, thankfully a few friends talked me out of it! I decided to take the ITB's off the car again, I haven't got the time or the money at the money to do the work on the car properly, so i decided to leave it and enjoy it as is until I can do theory properly. So it started like this,

Engine back out and ITB's removed, so i could install this lot

Got that lot in and put the engine back in as well, then I bought these

Stuck them on

285mm discs and 4 pot calipers, should stop now

Pretty much ready to go again, should be finished by this weekend

Just need to get tyres sorted and hopefully do the paddy's day track day, providing everything goes well this weekend!