home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics

General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics Anything general car related in here!

Old 15-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
karl.mh
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
DOT 5 brake fluid problem

Ive just completed the modification of my braided brake lines to fit a newly installed Satchshift hydraulic handbrake, prior to me getting my hands on the car the brake lines were already primed with brake fluid. During the brake line mods I've had to drain the fluid and I'm now at the point of replenishing the lost fluid, however, after further investigation I've discovered that the fluid is what I think is DOT 5.

Anyone out there a brake fluid oracle?

Based on what information I can find on the inter web it seems the DOT 5 is purple in colour - this appears to be the same colour as mine.

From what I can gather, you can't mix DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 with DOT 5 "they say" its not really used as a performance braking fluid unlike DOT 4 so this now poses a problem......is it possible to completely flush out the DOT 5 and replace it with DOT 4 without any adverse effects to the braking system / seals? I've read some horror stories about mixing the two, anyone had the same issues.

Others also say that the pedal can get a little spongy which in my book is never good.
karl.mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Petros
SOON TO BE FREELOADER - PLEASE JOIN UP NOW!

User Gallery
Am no expert, but I think you should use dot 4 only for 106
Dont think there should be any problem changing fluid
Petros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
karl.mh
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
I think the mystery is solved! I managed to get a full straw full of the blue brake fluid to dilute with the water, The blue brake fluid was absorbed by the water and didn't remain seperated as DOT 5 silicone brake fluid would.

It looks like I have DOT 4 / 5.1 and not the dreaded silicone based DOT 5, the bottles are not in any order
karl.mh is offline   Reply With Quote