home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South West > South West Members Cars

Old 13-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
matty_d
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Matty's Indigo S2 track car

Hi everyone I'm Matt, I've been around the forum or a while now but have never bothered with a build thread, now I feel a bit left out so decided to put one up. I will update this as much as possible so please feel free to read/laugh/comment at my progress!

So, this is my Rallye that I bought off a RR member back in March 2013 (thanks for the pic Jazzle )

Granted this picture was taken a few years ago but she still has the same charm although she has changed a bit! This is how she sits now, I will get some better pictures at some point!

Indigo blue S2
128,000 miles on shell

ENGINE/GEARBOX
1.6 8v
Re-mapped by Wayne @ Chipwizards to 130bhp with printout
S1 Rallye inlet manifold conversion
S1 Custom Air box with K&N filter
Kent fast road cam
OMP Paddle clutch
4-2-1 Manifold
Rebuilt gearbox (new input shaft bearing and seal, driveshaft seal and 5th gear synchro)

SUSPENSION/CHASSIS
Upper OMP brace
Lower OMP brace
Full set of Grp N engine mounts
Front Eibach springs
Bilstein Grp N dampers Front and Rear
PugSport 2inch full stainless steel system.
Sparco 6 point bolt in roll cage installed as per MSA regs
OMP WRC bucket seat
Ghost Developments subframes
OMP 6 point harness
OMP Wheel and Boss
Flocked dash by Autoflock

WHEELS/BRAKES
Uprated discs and pads all round
Refurbed S2 steels and centre caps
Conti Sport Contact 2's all round

For the past year or so I have basically been enjoying driving her when I can, it is bloody good fun but now I've well and truly got the bug, I want to do more! My plans are to rebuild it and also change a few things, I won't say too much for now as I don't have a full spec I want to achieve and also don't really know what I want to do with it in the future, but I will add that everything I do and buy will be aimed at track days and possibly some sort of competition!

Thanks for reading though and I look forward to updating this and listening to your comments! Cheers.

Last edited by matty_d; 23-09-2014 at 04:12 PM.
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
matty_d

User Gallery
So today I had a day off and made some progress with the shell. I'm going to start with the interior and work my way out, not sure if that's a good plan but hey!

My plans are to strengthen up the cage mounts, weld in some seat rails, weld the boot floor and finally paint! I thought I'd tackle the rust situation in the boot (I thought it was going to be a lot worse).

So first things first the cage came out. Didn't really put up too much of a fight but for anyone who's ever fitted a cage it can get pretty frustrating. Luckily no broken windows though

Then I had a bit of a win! I've never been able to open the glove box before and was always bugged by a rattle in there at idle, well here's what I found. Don't know how long it's been there but I certainly wasn't aware of it when I bought the car!

Back to assessing the problem areas. Initially I did a scouting mission on the rear, although it turns out there wasn't a great deal to actually fix! The seam sealer had started parting with the boot floor which indicated something was a miss but after digging deeper only found a small section. So all rusty bits were cut out and welded up and primed (excuse the state of the interior, it will be getting fresh paint so bear with me). Anyway, pics below will do the talking.

Then I took a look at the front cage mounts, they were functional but given that I used to work as an FEA Engineer, I wouldn't have betted on them shearing through after a heavy shunt! So, instead of removing them completely I made up some extra spreader plates to help out. I think these should do! They have been painted as well just didn't get a pic, nor did I get a pic of the before, but will add one later

Last up was a concerning split behind the main cage hoop mounts, between the floor and the rear bulkhead. It seems this area is 1. a bit weak for cages anyway and 2. the cage mounts were no where near big enough as the stresses were literally tearing the floor away from the bulkhead. This will be sorted but didn't quite get around to it today. I did manage to get the extra plates cut though, a big thanks to Greenline Tanks for helping with that!

So that was about it, but there will be more progress to come later on in the week. I've also had confirmation of the first package coming from Cornwall I've turned into a small child with my excitement!

Cheers,
Matt
Old 15-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Cool beans

User Gallery
Good work, great find from the glovebox, check down the back of your sofa you might find a DTA, keep the updates coming,
Old 15-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
matty_d

User Gallery
Couldn't believe it. Not sure if Jazzle knew about it either as he never mentioned anything. God knows if it works, it wasn't fully wired up or anything, but if it does it will be getting added to the dash. I'll give the sofa a check, unfortunately there are no more hiding spots in the car

Updates will keep coming slowly but surely, I've just bought my first house though so I'm not promising they'll be too frequent!

P.S those photos make it look really rusty, but it's not that bad, light surface rust is as bad as it gets really! Strange

Last edited by matty_d; 15-09-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 16-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
matty_d

User Gallery
All fixed inside! Seat rails to go in at the end of this week or early next week so will update when this is done. More pics for you guys that don't like reading
Drivers side.

Passenger side

And finally the drivers side front mount

A few months ago, I also managed to clean up the steelies as they were looking a tad sorry for themselves!

Quick rubbing down with some wet and dry, dusting of primer, 2 coats of brilliant white wheel paint and finally 2 layers of lacquer just to keep them nice. I also bought a paint pen and touched up the centre caps! Again more pics, less chat:

All done

Old 16-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Gareth Y

User Gallery
All that effort and you let them put the weights on the front of the rims. Next time ask them to place on the rear off the wheel gives the car a cleaner look.

Just my opinion.

Bianca White S1 Rallye
Standard & Original

Rallye Register Member Karting Champion O4
Gareth Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
matty_d

User Gallery
I actually did the unthinkable and left them on . I'm not planning on removing them either so though fuck it. I could have removed them but they don't really phase me.

Now if I was powder coating them, they would have been stripped bare.
Old 16-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
LukeS1Stoke
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Always liked this car Matt, looks like your doing a cracking job of it. Nice welding, I reckon those front cage mounts would be best with some nuts welded underneath then boxed in, would be a lot stronger and look tidyer, just my opinion!

Great job tho, watch out its a slippery slope once you start!
LukeS1Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
matty_d

User Gallery
Cheers Luke! I love it.

I know what you mean on the front mounts. Was tempted to add some small gussets but it was mainly the shear force on the floorpan I was trying to reduce. May look at some captive nuts though.

Oh I've already started sliding..... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 17-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
MattXT92

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice work Matt, looks great!
Old 17-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
matty_d

User Gallery
A not so small delivery welcomed me home this evening after a very long day at work in Scunthorpe of all places! One happy chappy

Just waiting on the second package now....
Old 23-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
matty_d

User Gallery
So, whilst waiting in Belfast airport for a flight home after seeing a customer I thought I'd put up a small update and a few questions. Basically it revolves around the fuel lines. They are now plumbed in, are safe, secure and work, with the fuel filter located up out of the way under the scuttle. But, the lines I've used are 6mm OD (1/4) lines not 8mm (5/16). After being a bit of a bellend I didn't think to specify the size of fuel hose when I was ordering bits and just cracked on regardless with 6mm. It wasn't until they were finished I had the "oh bugger" moment.

Firstly, will 6mm line sufficiently restrict the flow to the fuel rail affecting BHP? I'm thinking yes and have ordered 8mm pipe to replace them, but if anyone has any opinions please let me know as it's not a 5 minute job to replace them...

Pics of what I've done though, as everyone loves pics.

They are now p clipped in as well now and separated with rubber where they were touching. I've run the rears through the rear bulkhead to the tank (space was very tight, might have to have a think about solving that at some point.

Next issue is tidying up the bulkhead connections. Currently they are running through rubber grommets but I don't like it as I want something more secure. So I found these,

Anyone used them before as I can imaging if they are good enough for gas applications, a bit of fuel would be ok too?

Thanks in advance for any comments

Matt

Found this, answers my first question! Here's the link if anyone else has the same question/problem.

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...ad.php?t=47828

Last edited by matty_d; 23-09-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
matty_d

User Gallery
Any suggestions on roll cage colour?

It will be getting some fresh paint (hopefully on the weekend) but I'm not sure on colours... Currently yellow which I like, but also tempted by Indigo blue and could be swayed by other colours! Aaaaahh decisions
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
I always thought the yellow on Jazzle's car was great. If you could match it to the Rallye stripe even better! Needs red wheels/calipers then though.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
matty_d

User Gallery
It's not Jazzle's, it's mine! Aha but yes I like it too.

It was really a choice of either red, yellow or blue... And yes I am that person who would match the Rallye colours! I have red harnesses though, might look a bit weird
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Martijn M

User Gallery Car Blog
If you have red harnesses i would go Indigo!
I think when you make it yellow you get a lot of (very visible and annoying) reflections on the windows...
Martijn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
matty_d

User Gallery
Cage is already Yellow and it doesn't bother me with reflections. I prefer blue but it has been done before (I guess so has yellow but it's a bit more "different").

Cheers guys.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
matty_d

User Gallery
Ok so a slight progress update. I've been soo busy with work recently there has not been a lot of time for playing! And I've just had to fit a new boiler in the house so no monies for playing!!!

But before all that, I managed to get an order in for some Satchell GSXR throttle boddies. There was a long wait though (which I was duly informed about before ordering) and they were finally delivered last week . Although I was working in Tokyo all last week so when I got back I was like a jet lagged child at Xmas

I don't really need to say much more on these apart from they are bloody fantastic and I can't wait to hear them!!!

Not sure on the final spec of the engine yet but any advice is appreciated. I was going for a full rebuild on a J4 lump I have in the garage with a ported head, 743's which I already have, race bearings etc... But I keep getting tempted by going high comp... It will be for mainly track use and I don't intend on competing just yet. It is just not realistic at the moment. One thing I have decided on is the ECU will be in the form of a DTA S40 but this is yet to be purchased, and finally (when complete) mapping will more than likely be done in Cornwall

In other news, the cage has been rubbed down ready for paint and the seat rails are awaiting my arses opinion before welding. Not really looking forward to that job but there we go!

More pics will follow I'm sure but it is slow progress at the moment, sorry.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #19
MattXT92

User Gallery Car Blog
Good stuff Matt!

Also, working in Tokyo.... mega jealous!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
matty_d

User Gallery
Well sort of, I'd be happier with some more progress tbh! Got a day off Friday so I've got a few things planned.

Yes indeed, I am fortunate enough to get to travel a fair bit with work but this was a particularly sweet trip. Second time I've been but this time was just incredible. The most fantastic country, filled with even more fantastic people!
Old 22-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
matty_d

User Gallery
Small update, not much happening with the old gal at the moment, getting time to work on it has been hard to find! Still, baby steps and all that...

The welding is now done on the seat rails, and there is very little left to do on that side of things. I need to put the seat belt spreader plates in but that should be the easy part! Fingers crossed I can find time for that before Santa comes . Then the whole interior will be prepped, primed and painted.

I have also been buying some goodies for myself, given the current Christmas spirit, ready for a small ish rebuild during the winter.

ARB and wishbone Polybushes:

Vibratechnics rear mounts:

Spoox race engine mounts:

IM axles beam with Polybushes (had this for a while actually)

And the brains behind the whole project....

I'm massively looking forward to 2015 and getting the engine and boddies together, along with a mapping session. At the moment I'm probably going to be buying a loom from Sandy so would be rude not to consider sending her down South for some fettling as well, but we shall see....

When she is done I'll be getting some track days in and maybe join a few of the local motoring club sprints/autotests etc but until I'm happy, I won't be committing to anything.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone, have a good one!!!
Old 22-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Nice work. keep the push on over the x-mass.
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #23
Cool beans

User Gallery
Great work, some nice parts there. Keep at it. Finally found a good DTA then
Old 23-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
matty_d

User Gallery
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool beans View Post
Great work, some nice parts there. Keep at it. Finally found a good DTA then
Haha yeah I did! Took some time finding it though.

Quick question, just about to mount spreader plates for the belts but, do they need to be welded to the underside of the shell, or can the just be fixed using the method below? Been reading the Blue Book (oh yeah, I got a Go Racing starter pack too) this morning but can't see any mentions in it...

Old 26-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #25
matty_d

User Gallery
Took advantage of the extra 10% off at Halfords last night, and a small glitch in their online system picked the order up today, well chuffed

Managed to get 2 packs of floor mats (as the garage could do with some creature comforts) and 2 sets of screwdrivers for 24.30, bargain!

It works if you add two sets to the basket, not sure if it still works but worth a try! After all two sets of Halfords pro screwdrivers for 6.30 is a steal!

Last edited by matty_d; 05-01-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #26
matty_d

User Gallery
This should go down nicely. Especially as I tried to start the old girl on the weekend, she was deeeaaaaad !

More updates will be coming soon, as soon as the fateful first week back at work is over......
Old 01-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #27
matty_d

User Gallery
Mini update, but progress is progress I guess! Got a selection of new parts building up which I'll update soon. Plus I've been spending too much time (and money) on the new toy:

Anyway, I refurbished some calipers a year or so a go and wanted some for the rebuild. Picked up a cheap set of 266mm Bosch calipers that looked pretty nasty but wasn't fussed by that...

Then took them to the bead blaster and destroyed about 10 years worth of brake dust!

New seals and paint and viola, like new! All for the princely sum of less than 50. Never been much of a fan of fancy coloured brakes (unless they are worth showing off) so black they went.

Off on holiday next week and want to get my harness bars welded in, but need to find someone to cut and notch CDS tubing! Any ideas of some decent machines shops around the Bristol area?

Also if anyone is at Castle Combe on Monday, I'll be hanging around the paddock most of the day (going to see a friend racing his Mk1 Golf)

Last edited by matty_d; 01-05-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 16-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #28
Lewis

User Gallery
Lovely job dude
Old 23-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #29
drka-drka

User Gallery
Awesome job on the calipers.

I was thinking about refurbing the brakes on my Rallye myself, how did you find doing it yourself?

Need any specialist tools or anything?
drka-drka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
matty_d

User Gallery
Nope not really just some pointy things to get the old seals out. I found it pretty simple you just need to be brave and a bit careful. I did the usual trick, read up on it about a million times then proceed with caution!

Struggled to get the Pistons out at first, so hooked them up to an airline and carefully filled them with air. Be careful if you try this method though, even with a small amount of air they still fired out into the pile of rags

I also should update this:

Car currently sits like this, with painting and welding still to do. Massively short on time to work on it but still find time to buy bits for it 😬

Made up the harness bars using some old Mini roll cage door bars;

And the new additions are below (courtesy of Bendee and Temple who turned up driving an Aston of all things) minus the new steering arms from Tommy;

Itching to start the rebuild now and get her driven! Only myself to blame there, to be continued...
Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #31
Big Jazzle
MODERATOR & RR EVENTS

User Gallery
Glad to see you pushed on with the build, she's looking sweet! Best of luck with the build..
Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #32
matty_d

User Gallery
Wow it's been a while. Cheers Jazzle.

Also where'd the free Omex come from I found in the glove box? You never mentioned it, not that I'm complaining
Old 09-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #33
matty_d

User Gallery
Super slow progress on this in the last 6 months. I wanted to press on getting the shell sorted before the summer but that has gone out of the window. I have made progress though... Albeit slow.

My aim was to completely check (and restore where necessary) from front to back to make sure there will be no gremlins in the near future. So the plan started with the front end, complete strip, clean and refresh. We started like this:

Then stripped most of the front end out, ready for the engine removal. I found I didn't have a square bit big enough for the gearbox sump plug either, so fashioned one out of an old socket extension bar. Worked a treat.

Et viola:

It then got a further strip down and degreasing, which took forever but was well worth the effort. I also tackled a few bits of surface rust, nothing major at all just a bit of surface scum (apart from the front near side bumper bracket which will be replaced ) These then got a healthy dose of Dinitrol.

Then it was all rubbed down ready for some zinc primer. I did 2 coats and gave up, but it'll be getting stone chip anyway so thought this would be sufficient. The floor mats are now a slight greyish shade of black

And that's where it ended, for now. I'll be cleaning the front inner arches at some point and be doing the same. Then work backwards hoping not to find anything more sinister. I will just say though that all this work was done entirely alone, progress would be a lot faster working with mates but I kinda like working alone. Gives me more satisfaction.

Also big hands up to those that do this in a single garage, you have to get very creative with space saving ideas...
Old 12-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #34
matty_d

User Gallery
I'm looking for opinions, I'm undecided with what to do with the engine. Considering it will be used for a mix of sunny days and track days I am torn. Full on race car, then maybe 16v but I'm not sure.

1) keep with the original plan and go 16v with bodies and standalone management, as that's what I've bought things around. This route would be good for bigger power gains but will loose the 8v character of the Rallye.

2) go for an 8v build. Still with bodies and standalone management. Not as much power, but, would still have the 8v charm. Plus there's a tidy S2 8v engine on bodies for sale at the moment.

All thoughts welcome...
Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #35
jools

User Gallery
Looks smart; single garages are a pain when working on cars, mine is stored on a car transporter trailer in a single garage and have done a complete interior re spray, and front end build like you amongst other things so I can sympathise, you have to be very creative with space as you say.

Not many bodied 8v's around, and done well they can have reasonable power, so it would be good to see another 8v around.
jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #36
matty_d

User Gallery
Now you wouldn't have a biased opinion at all would you ?...
I'm thinking the same, but I've been set on 16v for ages!

I'm planning on spraying the inside too, at the moment it's just had a good clean but needs paint. How did you do yours? I'm thinking of renting a compressor and getting some paint as spray cans were annoying me with the front end. Index finger cramp set in pretty quickly.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #37
jools

User Gallery
Aye, I maybe biased.

I used a compressor and spray gun, far easier and better than rattle cans. If you can I would buy a compressor, there are second hand ones out there at reasonable money. You will end up finding lots of uses for an air compressor and air tools are a cost effective way of getting some good tools for awkward and stubborn jobs.
jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #38
matty_d

User Gallery
Quick update, been quiet on the car front recently. Lots of work and not enough free time have meant the car has taken a back seat. I have been doing little jobs though.

Finished the refurb of the Brembo calipers:

Turned out ok. Hopefully they'll be worthwhile, heard mixed reviews about using them.

I've also been busy with a welder, practising and then letting myself loose on the Rallye. The aim was to install strut top reinforcement plates, which I did, but then got these for an absolute steal

So it was out with the original strut plates, and in with the new. I've got to say, the Satchell kit is very very good and was easy to install. Only required a tiny bit of feltting, which for these old tin cans of cars, speaks volumes.

And that's about it. Ohhh yeah I did install the Satchshift as well but has been removed as I'm a tart and don't want it getting dirty.

Last edited by matty_d; 07-01-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #39
matty_d

User Gallery
Some more progress this weekend. Managed to get a new NS bumper bracket fixed in place as the old had seen better days! Also found a bit more rusty stuff on the front end, so cracked on getting this sorted.

Out with the crappy stuff

New panel mocked up, cut and profiled

New plate welded in, cleaned up and painted

Whilst I'm no where near some of the standard of welding on here, and I taught myself on a Clarke hobby welder, I was pretty chuffed with the result. The arches were also stripped and have now been under sealed and will be finished with some high build primer and indigo blue.

Last edited by matty_d; 19-02-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 19-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #40
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Good work!